1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Buck 171 Mayo Waimea

Discussion in 'Knives' started by Jessie Carter, Oct 27, 2012.

1. Jessie Carter

Jessie Carter Loaded Pockets

I received this knife as a gift from an old friend for my birthday. It looks great on paper as a gentlemen's folder. It's the right size, weight and the materials are excellent (titanium and SV30). However, I can't deploy the blade one handed. The knife is very tight. Has anyone experienced this with this knife. I real want to like it, but so far it is tearing up my thumbs and frustrating me to no end.

2. kertap75

kertap75 EDC Junkie!!!!!

Seems to me like 2 handed opening is a good thing in a gentlemans folder. I'm not familiar with this knife though, hopefully someone here will be able to help. (where's mattblack when you need him?)

Sent from my SCH-I405 using Tapatalk 2

mrlysle likes this.
  3. Jessie Carter

I have a Kansei Matsuno COV-15 that is a gents folder which opens with a gentle thumb flick. It's a matter of convenience for sure, but it also speaks to the versatility of the tool. The Buck is even difficult to close, given the friction between the titanium frame lock and the blade. I can appreciate the tight tolerances of the knife, but I would like to use the dang thing from time to time. I guess if you can't open the thing to cut a cigar it will result in reduced smoking...government plot I tell ya!

mrlysle and kertap75 like this.
  4. MWDP

MWDP Banned

That's a fine piece of cutlery you have there. What you need to do is take a torx or hex driver (can't see which from pics) and loosen the pivot screw here:

[​IMG]

But be careful not to loosen it too much because the blade will wiggle inside the frame. Once you have done that, lube the area with some precision oil and you're good to go.

Jessie Carter and mrlysle like this.
  5. mrlysle

mrlysle Loaded Pockets

Also remember that hand placement plays a huge role in how easy a framelock opens. Pay real close attention to where your fingertips lay on the knife, in relation to the lockbar. On a knife with a strong detent, even the slightest additional pressure from a fingertip can make the thing a real bear to open. I have to adjust my grip a tiny bit on some of my framelocks, or they'll tear up my thumb also. MWDP's advice is good too. Sometimes just a "tiny" turn on the pivot screw works wonders, and of course, lube always helps. :)

6. Jessie Carter

I've lubed it and taken the pivot screw out and checked the washers. It's still very stiff and the lock sticks real bad.

7. Jessie Carter

Yep, hand placement is critical with a frame lock, especially small ones.

8. mrlysle

mrlysle Loaded Pockets

As far as the lock goes. Sometimes the lube you use is critical. Depends on the surface on the face of the lockbar, the interface between it, and the back of the blade, etc, etc. If your current lube isn't working, get rid of it, with solvent, alcohol, spray brake cleaner, whatever, and try a dry graphite powder. A good "coloring" with a lead pencil works if you can get it where you need it. Otherwise, get a tube of graphite powder from an auto parts store, or even Wallyworld. It's obviously messier than some lubes, but just wipe off the external powder. Work the knife open and closed a few times, and then give it another little shot of graphite powder. Generally that works well for a "sticky" lockbar.

Jessie Carter likes this.
  9. nargalzius

nargalzius Loaded Pockets

Worst case is the tolerances of the knife are off. Since loosening the scales was already tried with no effect, perhaps the pivot hole is too small/tight, so maybe you have to increase the diameter a tad. But I'm no blade expert so take those suggestions with a grain of salt :)

My Waimea never had this problem. I could open it one handed no problem. I could even flip open it (but it'd have to be 1/3 to halfway released for that)

10. Jessie Carter

I got it all broken in now and it's a great gentleman's folder!