1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

"broken" multitool repair advice

Discussion in 'MultiTools and Other Pocket Tools' started by francis castiglione, Oct 17, 2008.

1. francis castiglione

francis castiglione Empty Pockets

A few years ago I picked up a winchester multi tool model from wally world for something like 10-12$ on clearance. It came with a bit set and everything. I thought I had just made the deal of the century. I used it here and there for random :censored: around the house etc, and it didnt take long for the tools on the one side of the handle to lose the friction that keeps them in place. Now they just flop out of the handle by gravity. Balisong multitools arent really my thing, so is there any way I can jerry rig this thing? I keep it in my car kit with a ziptie around the handle to keep them in place, but I'd like to try and repair it but cant think of a way?

2. x2x2

x2x2 Empty Pockets

I guess, that the tool is riveted. So I cannot see, that it would be possible to repair it at home. Maybe Winchester has a customer service, where you could send it to? Otherwise I would advise you to buy a quality multitool. You won't have that kind of problems with them and it's simply much safer and pleasurable to work with them.

3. francis castiglione

Thanks. I bought this a while ago before I knew about quality gear. My go to multitool is a Vic Swisstool. I keep the winchester as a beater. So I guess the riveting makes the tool unserviceable? Makes sense.

4. max6166

max6166 Loaded Pockets

I use the Leatherman Kick as my beater multitool. You can find them really cheap on eBay, yet they are very tough and reliable. I got mine for $20.

5. fishwolf

fishwolf Loaded Pockets

If it is a rivet, you can grind the top off, remove it, and then replace with a nut and bolt system or something like that to get it tighter.

6. Rpuppet
    • In Omnia Paratus

Rpuppet Loaded Pockets

Or take a hammer to it. :)

7. bruner

bruner Loaded Pockets

That is what I was about to suggest, but Rpuppet beat me to it.

If the tools are on a rivet pivot point, using a hammer (carefully) can tighten everything back up nicely.

However, I would also take this opportunity to look into a multitool of higher quality. SOG multitools have parts than can be easily replaced if necessary. To my knowledge there is no other multitool manufacturer that offers that kind of service.

Dan

8. Bubba

Bubba Loaded Pockets

My 2ยข, make it into a key-tool and buy a quality multi-tool

9. vermeire

vermeire Loaded Pockets

Bold is mine

He has a great tool.

I would second the recommendation to replace the rivets with small Chicago screws if you can find the correct size. This allows you to fine tune how tight the joint is.

10. francis castiglione

I had to google "chicago screw". Ill grab the tool out of my car this week and try to get the rivet out. Thanks!

11. Stormdrane

Stormdrane Loaded Pockets

If you still like the Winchester type tools to keep as a spare beater, walmart has already started putting out their Christmas giftpacks with a couple different Winchester models with pocket knife, money clip, key chain, etc... for $10..