1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Broken Fenix PD35...

Discussion in 'Flashlights & Other Illumination Devices' started by northwest, Mar 26, 2014.

1. northwest

northwest EDC Junkie!!!

I have had my Fenix PD35 for just a couple of weeks now. Today after work, I was walking to my car and it was dark. I turned my flashlight on, and I noticed I couldn't toggle the modes on it. It lights up and is stuck on a mid level brightness, and I can activate the strobe effect on it to, but it doesn't strobe att the correct brightness level either.

I shot a short video of the problem, and the video contains strobe light, so be aware!

Is there anything I can do, or is the only alternative to send it back? :(
    Video: Video deleted, problem was empty batteries... :redface:

Last edited by northwest, Mar 27, 2014
    Nick4305 and reppans like this.
  2. garethmk1

garethmk1 Loaded Pockets

Try replacing the battery.

Blerv and Nick4305 like this.
  3. northwest

northwest EDC Junkie!!!

Will try that tomorrow. If that's the problem, I would be surprised and happy at the same time since I use 2 Panasonic CR123 and have had the light on for a total time of 30 minutes. Tops!

4. keith1234
    • In Omnia Paratus

keith1234 Loaded Pockets

That may be your problem using the cr123s. Were you using the light on high for that 30 minutes, or how often have you used the light on high with that set of batteries.

david57strat and Nick4305 like this.
  5. northwest

northwest EDC Junkie!!!

I am a bit embarrassed now. Changed to new batteries and now it works as it should! I would never have guessed the batteries would die THAT fast. Glad it works anyway. Might get some better batteries than my Panasonic cr123...

Revival, garethmk1 and Nick4305 like this.
  6. reppans

reppans Loaded Pockets

Glad you got your light "fixed" but it is odd that the light would be stuck on a mid level mode - sure it wasn't the lowest? Most lights tend to sequentially lose the brightest modes one at a time until it's at its lowest level and they at least seem to let you cycle to the lowest to conserve whatever remaining battery you have left. Also wonder if you have a voltage meter and can check the dead batts for balance - you could have been close to a kaboom :(.

7. keith1234
    • In Omnia Paratus

keith1234 Loaded Pockets

My Fenix TK50 runs on 2 D batteries and when they get low you have strobe, high and low now turbo or medium settings go figure.

reppans likes this.
  8. keith1234
    • In Omnia Paratus

keith1234 Loaded Pockets

If running the PD35 on turbo that will eat cr123s fast, I don't own this light but know that the runtime will be shorter on those batteries just from experience with other Fenix lights.

9. Strayz

Strayz Loaded Pockets

It is not just Fenix, any light that Has a high draw on the battery will kill cells fast.

keith1234 likes this.
  10. northwest

northwest EDC Junkie!!!

The lowest setting on my Fenix is really low. When it "broke" (still a bit ashamed) it definetly lit up more than the lowest setting. And this confuses me. The most logical would be that the flashlight preserves the energy by only allowing the lowest output. But I am sure it wasn't the lowest on my flashlight. :)

reppans likes this.
  11. Blerv

Blerv Loaded Pockets

Panasonic makes a great cell. It's also likely one of them was marginal and the other was fine so it was doing most of the heavy lifting.

I would look I to rechargeable power. A single 18650.

david57strat and jag-engr like this.
  12. D552

D552 Loaded Pockets

I have had good customer service from Fenix in the past when one of my chargers went bad. They sent a replacement to me quickly, no questions asked. I would contact Fenix or the company who you bought the light from to get it resolved.

13. medicevans

medicevans Loaded Pockets

If the 35 is like the 32, it actually did "change" modes, but you can't tell a difference. My 32's batteries get low, then I have super low, and three other modes that all look almost exactly the same.

I know you have it figured out, but thought it might be nice to put it out there for future reference.

Seriously though man, get some 18650s for that light and let it live to its full potential. You're going to spend a bunch of money if you only get 30 minutes from primaries.

14. Blerv

Blerv Loaded Pockets

He should be getting closer to an hour. Either time flies when you are having fun or one of those cells was weak. At least the light didn't turn into a road flare.

15. medicevans

medicevans Loaded Pockets

You aren't missing admit the road flare! That will ruin your day in a hurry!!!

The biggest reason I have for loving rechargeables is I always know my light is ready to go. I use my light for a three or four shifts, maybe fewer if I have to use it hard, then I change the battery. If I was buying batteries I would feel like I had to get every last drop out of them, leading to constant suboptimal performance.

16. Southpaw

Southpaw EDC Junkie!!!!!

Thought it took 18650's, cuz with cr123's that light will eat those up quick!

" A great leader shows his greatness by the way he treats little men. "

david57strat and FACE like this.
  17. Vic303

Vic303 Loaded Pockets

It does take an 18650. It's also less likely to have a KB as you cannot reverse-charge a single 18650. Love my PD35.

david57strat likes this.
  18. northwest

northwest EDC Junkie!!!

Does everyone recommend using 18650 batteries? What is the greatest benefit over CR123:s? :)
    I have no experience with 18650:s.

19. northwest

northwest EDC Junkie!!!

I just saw a video on youtube where a guy ripped out some 18650:s out of an laptop battery! I have one laying around from my old laptop. Should I break it open? :eek:

20. northwest

northwest EDC Junkie!!!

I did it. After some 20 minutes of FIGHTING I got the laptop battery case open. Sparks were flying and I cut my hand on one of the copper (?) connectors between the batteries. :hot:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

keith1234 likes this.