1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Breathe Right strips

Discussion in 'First Aid Station' started by navraster, Feb 20, 2009.

1. navraster

navraster Loaded Pockets

I wasn't sure which category this topic should go into. The First Aid section seems as close as I could get.

I want to share my experience with the Breathe Right strips. Starting in early December, I found myself unable to sleep well. I would wake up in the middle of the night multiple times, and I experienced intense dreams that were very disturbing. At the same time, I went though 3 different colds and the flu from then until early February. Each night was an ordeal that I would put off as long as possible, which only led to more sleep problems.

Fast forward to last week. I was dying. I was constantly tired and fatigued, and all I wanted to do was sleep. I'm in my last year of law school, and things are busy, so this was a real killer. I tried melatonin and HTP-5. I tried all sorts of vitamins. I tried a sleep mask, and I even got a darker backing for my curtains. None of those worked well for me.

My girlfriend suggested that I use the Breathe Right strips at night, and that possibly they would help clear things up. Well, after reading up on them I was still skeptical. However, I agreed to buy a small box of them to try. I've used them for 5 nights now, and the quality of my sleep has gone way up! No more waking up during the night or disturbing dreams.

I bought the size Large tan strips. I didn't even know they made different sizes untilI got home. The medium sized ones would probably work even better, and supposedly the clear strips are easy to take off. These tan ones really stick to your face, which is about the only complaint I have so far.

I don't know if being sick was causing me to be congested, and thereby clogging my nasal passges so that the strips could help. I don't know if I have sleep apnea that was being made worse by the colds, or whether it just kicked into high gear for another reason. I don't even care if it is a placebo effect. All I know is that I am sleeping well, and approx. $12 a month is totally worth it to me.

I'll try to keep this thread updated to see if they are worth using in the long run. I don't feel congested during the day now, so I would be surprised if it is just congestion that they are relieving. I wouldn't say that I was ever a good sleeper, so maybe it was a combination of things. In any case, if you want to sleep better, or just snore less, I do recommend trying the Breathe Right strips before doing anything else. I will definitely be putting a few of these in suitcases and bags in case I need to leave in a hurry and forget to toss them in.

2. JIM

JIM Loaded Pockets

Do you exercise a lot like running, etc.?

3. Rocket Jones

Rocket Jones Empty Pockets

:iagree: +1 on the Breathe Right, especially when I'm congested.

4. In_Flux

In_Flux Loaded Pockets

I used breath right strips for a couple of months until my wife insisted that I get a sleep study. Sure enough, I was diagnosed with "mild" sleep apnea (scary stuff) and am on a CPAP every night. That gives me better sleep.

Sleep apnea can cause a lot of problems. If you (or your GF) suspect you have it, you should get it checked out.

If it's just a stuffy nose, Breath Rights do work great! :luck:

5. Mark123

Mark123 Empty Pockets

You are one of those rare individuals for whom the Breathe Right Strips actually worked O0 As for me, similar to In_Flux, I was also diagnosed for sleep apnea, use a CPAP now, and the quality of both my sleep and my entire life have improved 100%.

Prior to that I had tried everything else including the Breathe Right Strips. Nothing worked.

If anyone one there suspects they may be suffering from sleep apnea-recommend you get diagnosed and get a CPAP if you need it-untreated sleep apnea damages your heart and shortens your life. Mine was covered by insurance, but I would have paid for it out of pocket otherwise-it's had that dramatic of an improvement on my life.

6. copykat

copykat Loaded Pockets

I have severe sleep apnea and am on a bi-pap. i couldn't exale under pressure of the c-pap.
    Losing 40lbs helped but it never goes away once you get it.
    it is more prevalent in over weight males so keep out of the cookie jar if you can.
    My weight has crept back up and I have gone back to using Breath right strips along with the bipap.
    I keep one in my wallet just in case I am separated from my machine.
    i take my bipap camping and couldn't get the battery charged once so the
    Breath rights are way better than nothing, My brother has light sleep apena.
    He discovered how great Breath rights are and sent his cpap back.
    Many people have light sleep apnea and dont know it.
    I napping at work for years before my wife made me get checked out so if you find your self napping
    or performing poorly ask your doctor or try the Breath right strips.
    I tried Medicine shoppe brand and they are lousy.
    for more on sleep apnea , increase awareness on this common deadly disease
    http://capwiz.com/sleepapnea/issues/alert/?alertid=12731336&queueid=2955455946

7. DB

DB Kilted Moderator

I have a terrible head cold right now, and Breathe Right strips are a life saver. I tried the clear ones, but actually prefer the regular ones as I find them more comfortable.

8. navraster

navraster Loaded Pockets

Thanks for the responses guys. I went camping this weekend, and I slept -great- with the strips. I love going camping but never seem to sleep well. To answer Jim, I exercise about twice a week, though I am trying to get out more. My weight hasn't changed in about 3 years, so I am unsure why the sleeping would have gotten worse.

Does anyone know how much the sleep studies cost? I only have very basic insurance and I imagine they are not covered. Same with the machine, though it sounds like I might have a mild case of apnea that I can self treat.

9. JIM

JIM Loaded Pockets

Reason I asked is because if you exercise a lot, you get a 'sporters heart' which has a lower frequency during exercise and rest. If you sleep then, you relax and your heart rate could drop so low that it gives a small shock in order to get the rate up again. That shock can cause you to suddenly become awake.

10. SALT

SALT Loaded Pockets

I find they work well for me, but often fall off while I sleep. That said, they seem to do the trick. It is funny how much better you can breath as soon as you put it on.

11. GA Hiker

GA Hiker Loaded Pockets

I love Breathe Rights. I sleep so much better and feel so much more rested when I use them. I've even got my girlfriend hooked on them. She's allergic to band-aids and such with adhesives, but she can use the clear strips just fine. I prefer the original tan (in large- big nose!) because the clear tend to come off in the night. I've woken up in the morning with one side peeled off or the strip stuck to the pillow ( my hand once and in my girlfriends hair once!!). The tan just stick better.

12. Clead

Clead Loaded Pockets

Thanks to the OP and the rest of you for reminding me that I wanted to try these out! I'm fairly sure that I have mild sleep apnea since I get tired at odd times and my wife says I snore like a chainsaw lately. :laugh: Tonight is night #1! I'll post the results here tomorrow. I bought the clear mediums, but I'm not sure if my schnoz counts as a large or not... it is a bit of a mashed fighter's nose.

13. Kripto

Kripto Evil Sid

+1 on CPAPs.

A few years ago, I had some major migraines and could feel my heart beat through my chest. I went to a doctor about the headaches and while we were talking he asked me if my GF complained much of me snoring.. Luckily she was in the waiting room, so we brought her in.. When he asked her, the response was "Oh my yes! and sometimes I notice him no breathing" .. She never told ME that.. Made me think twice about her! :evilgrin:

Well, my doctor scheduled me for a sleep study and basically, my apnea was SO bad that after 45 minutes into the study, they came in and put a mask on me.. (They said that they normally wait 4 hours)

At the time, my blood pressure was through the roof which is caused by sleep apnea.

Once I got the CPAP, my blood pressure went back down to normal and I no longer get those headaches.

On a bit of a sad note, my mother passed away on Dec 4th. She had sleep apnea but didn't wear her mask because she didn't like how it felt. Had she worn it, she likely would be with us today. She was only 64.

14. DiabloSc(+)pe

DiabloSc(+)pe Loaded Pockets

WOW ! I had no Idea Lots Of Peeps Going through the same Dilemma ? I ve been using CPAP Machine For about six yrs now and about ten to 12 masks , from what the doctors have said and sleep study personnel , there is No Such thing as mild Sleep Apnea ! its all Bad !! when i went to the sleep study before the CPAP . I stopped Breathing almost 30 - 40 seconds at times ,Woke up many times during the night , Had bad headaches , i had never reached a full deep sleep ! I woke up tired ! drove to work tired , and The SNORING OMG my wife had Vid Tapped Me I was Scared :censored:Less ............ SO after the first night w/ the CPAP . I Was Amazed om how much Alert i was ,and well rested , No Headaches , No Sore Throats O0 Ii had never Used Breathe Right Strips , Curious ! I guess i should just buy em !!!! DUH :slap: Also I am getting tird of wearing the CPAP mask , but i just cant seem to fall asleep with out it , not to mention I use almost the highest Air pressure on the machine . I Feel You Pain Brothers !!!

15. Clead

Clead Loaded Pockets

Well, I slept much better than usual last night, although my wife says the chainsaw was still running. :laugh: I have a bad cold right now though and I'm horribly stuffed up, so I'll keep using them and hope the snoring situation improves once I can take a full breath through my nose!
    Thanks navraster!

16. navraster

navraster Loaded Pockets

Yeah, the snoring won't go away entirely, but I have been told that my snoring has gone down by at least half. That's good enough for me to continue using the strips. I'll post another update in a few days. If it really was just a placebo effect, I would think that it would have gone away in 2 weeks.

17. Clead

Clead Loaded Pockets

My wife told me this morning that my snoring is down too, overall. :woohoo: Thanks again.

18. chmsam

chmsam Loaded Pockets

Simple trick to keep Breath Right strips on the nose longer -- wipe the bridge and sides of your nose down with an alcohol wipe to remove excess skin oils. Be careful of your eyes and let the alcohol evaporate before applying the strip.

19. copykat

copykat Loaded Pockets

That will work. i usually just use soap and water when brushing my teeth.
    Or even just the corner of a shirt or the palm of your hand :lolhammer:
    if you get it too clean you won't want to take it off in the morning :laugh:

20. Mark123

Mark123 Empty Pockets

You should check-your insurance may cover the costs of the sleep study and the CPAP. If nothing else, there may be partial coverage. Without insurance, I think a CPAP machine costs about $1,000 and the replacement masks required every 6 months about $100 (like anything medical, both grossly overpriced)

But trust me brother-if you have sleep apnea, the CPAP will be LIFE CHANGING for you. The FIRST NIGHT I woke up after using at, I felt like Robert DeNiro in the movie AWAKENINGS. I was alert, relaxed, well rested, and good decision making abilities. Prior to that, I would sometimes struggle to keep from falling asleep at stoplights.

Yeah, it was uncomfortable, almost clastrophic to wear at first-but you'll get used to it.

And to shatter any myths, I work out 5x a week, run a marathon every year, and eat to gain, not lose weight. So it's not just people who struggle with their weight or other health problems that may have sleep apnea. At my sleep study, I found out I was waking up 15x every hour.

Prior to that I had tried sleeping on my side, breathe right strips, sprays, herbal treatments, having my tonsils removed, sleeping with a sports mouthpiece, even a throat exercise sold program sold online. The only thing that worked for me was the CPAP.

Good luck-get the sleep study-you owe it to yourself and your family.