1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, anyone?

Discussion in 'The Breakroom' started by ProjeKtWEREWOLF, Jan 9, 2018.

1. ProjeKtWEREWOLF

ProjeKtWEREWOLF Loaded Pockets

Any BJJ practitioners here? Im a 2 stripe white belt; trained for a year and a half or so (with two periods off due to injury? My school is a Royce Gracie affiliate, and my instructor is a Valente brothers (3 stripe) purple belt.

2. Daveho

Daveho Loaded Pockets

Haven’t in a long time, great fun though

ProjeKtWEREWOLF likes this.
  3. ProjeKtWEREWOLF

I'm training 2 or 3 times a week at the moment. Takes too long to recover otherwise. I do yoga most days and will use kettlebell workouts on non training days. I'm making an effort to get fitter and lose some body fat.

ran23 and Daveho like this.
  4. Bulldog87

Bulldog87 Loaded Pockets

I just realized I have a place close to the house. I've always been interested but have never looked into it. Maybe one day.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

5. ProjeKtWEREWOLF

Do it!!! It's a blast. Do they offer free introductory classes? It's great for self defence.

6. Bulldog87

Bulldog87 Loaded Pockets

I'm not sure. I need to inquire!

Any tips for finding a place and what to ask about?

Not to railroad the OP

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

7. ProjeKtWEREWOLF

8. The Slap

The Slap Loaded Pockets

I trained BJJ once a week for a year and a half. The club was an hour drive away, and the travel hassle got too much after a while so I quit. Worthwhile though. I did notice that some people go too hard and injure themselves, or others, sometimes very seriously - but that's the same with any sport/martial art. I found the actual training and rolling (sparring) to be excellent, but the cardio warm-up killed me every time. Same with every martial art I've tried, I hate the warm up so much that it makes it not enjoyable. Part of the reason is I go 100% and knacker myself, whereas some of the other folks skive off. I've always felt this was disrespectful to the instructor and bad for morale generally...I dunno, it's catch 22 for me. I'm 36 and work manually, so I have to be able to move next day. Young guys who will be sitting in class the next day can afford to wreck themselves. Also, and this is crucial - every martial art club I've attended has been focused on competing with other clubs, and preparing members for competition. I don't need to train hard enough to beat a super fit martial artist, because that class of individual is not going to assault me. I need to be able to beat a mentally ill/drug addled/drunk rando. Or an angry neighbour. Or a road rage guy etc. And in that situation I will not be using gentleman's Jiujitsu...