1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Bradley Alias II or CRK Sebenza?

Discussion in 'Knives' started by leefx, Jan 26, 2011.

1. leefx

leefx Empty Pockets

So i'm thinking about picking up a Bradley Cutlery Alias II.

It's basically a cheaper (~$180) Sebenza that was designed by Bradley Cutlery but is produced by Benchmade. S30V steel/titanium handles/frame lock.

I've heard really good things about the Alias II, but i'm wondering if I should wait another month and save up the extra $180 for a CRK Sebenza. The only thing is I want it to be a user, so I don't want to worry about scratching it up.
    Or should I just buy two Bradley Alias II's and not have to worry about putting it through work?

Anyone have a Sebenza that can tell me how well they hold up? I'm sure they're very durable but how easy does the titanium handles get scratched up, blade get scratched, etc?

2. hatchetjack

hatchetjack EDC Junkie!!!!!

I f you get the Bradley, then you will never know what it's like to own a Sebenza. Sebenzas are nice. I didn't like the ergos and the straight titanium I found to feel cold in the hand. I had an older "P" 1989 series when Chris Reeve was still putting them together. It was ATS-34 super steel of its time. I needed a good dress watch so I traded it off. Never owned a Bradley but if you are thinking of a Sebenza, wait till you can get one. They always have a good resell should you change your mind.

3. iacchus

iacchus Loaded Pockets

The sebenza holds its value better than the Bradley. I have seen Sebs that get constant use, and after a few years, I like the look of them even more.
    Having said that, I do not own one.

4. firemedic183

firemedic183 Loaded Pockets

Go with CRK!!! I went with the Umnumzaan and I LOVE IT!!! The handle scratches a little bit with use, but it adds good character to the knife, and I promise that you will NOT be disappointed!

5. Chocula

Chocula Loaded Pockets

I had a sebenza and sold it. Recently I bought an Alias I and like it more because it is ergonomic.

However, I'd recommend getting a sebenza first. Everyone makes a big deal about it and the curiosity will bug you. :)

6. tonester

tonester Loaded Pockets

save up and get a used sebbie. seriously you will not regret it. if you get the bradley you will always wonder what a sebbie is like, but once you get a sebbie you wont even think about the bradley. ive owned 8 sebbies and every single one was bought used so im not afraid to use them or scratch them.

heres a little pic to help make up your mind :)

[​IMG]

7. BBQ BOY

BBQ BOY Loaded Pockets

I do not own nor have I ever held a Bradley. To me it's a knock off. I have MANY CRK's and I can not say enough about them.

8. popedandy

popedandy Loaded Pockets

You are better off waiting for the Sebenza. Over the years I've read a lot of posts from folks who bought a Bradley and were disappointed, but very few who were disappointed in the Sebenza.

9. Rawls

Rawls Loaded Pockets

I have owned both. Here is what I think:

The Sebenza has a bunch of little touches (the double indent clip, the rounded blade top, and the more polished stonewashing) that make it a better knife. I also find the Sebenza to be more ergonomic. The blade shape and the hump near the thumbstud are nice, but the thin handle and finger indentation in the handle are really nice.

That said the Alias is a very nice knife. Great materials, stronger tip than the Sebenza, but cutting power of the Sebenza, which I think comes from the grind (hollow) and the blade shape (clip point), is amazing. The Alias's flat grind to the middle of the knife is more blunt and makes it less of a slicer.

This is a good dilemma to face, but having had both I would say save up and get the Sebenza. Aside from the slightly superior performance, there is distinct value in getting EXACTLY what you want, even if the substitute is pretty close.

10. Rolex John

Rolex John Banned

I do own a Bradley Alias II - it's certainly a great knife and I like it. But it will show some scratches, as will I'm sure the CRK Sebenza. Here's my review of the Alias II.

Review of the Bradley Cutlery Alias II Knife | ThruMyLens

I am curious about the Sebenza and may order one.

11. BrandonR

BrandonR Empty Pockets

I can't comment on a Sebenza as I have never owned one, but I am thrilled with my Alias II that came in the mail today. Based on what people have to say about the Sebenza, I can only imagine how nice one really is. The price for the Alias II was steep enough for me, so the Sebenza will have to wait until I come across a great deal on a used one.

12. carrot

carrot Loaded Pockets

Like you said, the Bradley is "basically a cheaper Sebenza." It is made of similar materials but lacks the fine refinement of the Sebenza. Why buy the lesser when the best is within reach? Like Rawls said, if you can get what you want, get what you want, no substitutes.

I have been a happy Sebenza owner for a number of years now... no regrets.
    [​IMG]