1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Boy Scout gear check fail - EDC in secured areas

Discussion in 'General EDC Discussion' started by Thesteve_global, Mar 16, 2016.

1. Thesteve_global

Thesteve_global Loaded Pockets

Any time I see a scout out and about, I have to gear check them. It usually brings on a wonderful conversation regarding EDC. Today I ran in to two kids about 8-10 years old and who I assume is their father, all in scout uniforms. All three of them without their EDC.

The Dad informed me that they went to a city council meeting, which is in a secured building, so their SAKs and MTs were at home.

**How do you modify your EDC when heading into a secured area?**

I just leave MT and locking blade in my car but keep everything else on my persons. Flashlight, pen, prybar, ect.

adnj likes this.
  2. Rasthor

Rasthor Loaded Pockets

I do the same. Anything the security guys might not like gets left in the truck. I keep the rest on me.

camporama and Thesteve_global like this.
  3. Strayz

Strayz Loaded Pockets

As someone that works on federal property, and sometimes in a secure area. This is a personal grind for me. Spending 45 minutes the night before trying to clear the vehicle of things they have on the list as not permitted.

Most days it is a small folder for a knife, atwood tool (Prybaby mini), USB flash drive (256 GB 3.0) Cell phone, minimalist wallet, Para cord bracelet, Leatherman Juice s2.

When I have to go in to the secure areas, I have to leave at home the folding knife, atwood tool, and leatherman. Needless to say I try and avoid going to those places when possible.

camporama and Thesteve_global like this.
  4. WyOkBuckskin

WyOkBuckskin Loaded Pockets

Same here and I try to avoid having to go to those places to begin with.

Thesteve_global likes this.
  5. Wesmanthetiger

Wesmanthetiger Loaded Pockets

Watched a guy try to bring a keychain Kuboton into our county courthouse. Did not end well.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

6. Thesteve_global

Thesteve_global Loaded Pockets

You have to clear your car too? I keep a small go bag in my car with a change of clothes, toiletries and backup EDC items in case I run out of the house without my folder or something.

7. Strayz

Strayz Loaded Pockets

Sometimes.

Nothing like having a tool box with you, only to realize you have 3 box cutters, and about every hand tool known to man. Guards don't blink an eye. Have a cadet in your pocket and they just about loose there :censored:. /boggle

Never mind if I forgot that I went to the range the previous week and have empty shell cases littering the floorboards ect...

8. Dillon L

Dillon L Loaded Pockets

I'm actually more concerned with regular people as opposed to security/police. They generally don't relish the thought of someone having a 'weapon' on them.
    Security and police are usually more chill about it, because they carry the same stuff we do (besides some more specialized gear).
    Even so, you always have one power tripping LEO who wants to make your life hard.
    -Dillon.

9. DSRacing

DSRacing Loaded Pockets

I work in a secure facility with a strict, no weapon, no blade policy. Our vehicles are parked in a separate area which allows me to keep any prohibited items in my truck. I have a maxpedition Fatty that I use specifically for my multi-tools, folders and other tools I know can't come into the building. At the end of the day or on my days off, I throw it back into my EDC bag.

I'm thinking about removing the blade on my Leatherman Rev so I can bring it inside with me.

10. Strayz

Strayz Loaded Pockets

When people trip about you having a weapon, Explain how much more damage you can do with a metal folding chair. Now those things are dangerous. :frantic:

camporama, Kilted1 and Dillon L like this.
  11. MedusaOblongata

MedusaOblongata Loaded Pockets

Regular people don't search you, though, so they never know what you are carrying, and they have no authority, so their opinions are irrelevant. Security and police who can search you, deny you entry, or arrest you are much more of a concern with regards to carrying certain gear into certain locations.

When I have to go into locations restricted by law or metal detectors, I end up leaving a few pounds of metal locked in the vehicle, and regear up when I get back to it, doesn't everybody?

12. Dillon L

Dillon L Loaded Pockets

Strayz So True! I've also been told that I should carry only one knife, because apparently that's inherently more dangerous.
    Fact is, even if i were to use knives as weapons, (which I don't), I can arguably only use one at a time! So it's kind of a moot point.
    MedusaOblongata Also true! But regular sheep will sic the police on you, and there's more of them. But as long as you don't break any carry laws,
    there's not much they can do, short of making stuff up! (happens all the time)
    -Dillon

Thesteve_global and Strayz like this.
  13. Kilted1

Kilted1 Loaded Pockets

I rarely feel so unsafe as when I'm on the inside of a security perimeter. Unless there's a magnetometer and X-ray machine at the door, I didn't see the sign. If there is, then I return to my vehicle and ponder how badly I want to go in there while leaving everything but wallet, keys and phone.

I'm not so stupid as to carry a firearm onto a military base or prison facility (which I occasionally go to for work), but otherwise they've always let me in with full tool bag and not even a glance at what's in my pockets. I need my tools to work, right? I once went to a county courthouse/jail facility, set my tool bag on the belt, stepped through the magnetometer (setting it off), watched the eyes of the lady at the X-ray screen nearly fall out of her head, showed them my work order and got waved through.

It's nothing more than "security theater" which is why I don't like them. Someone who is not creative and truly bent on mayhem will simply take out the ones at the door first.

14. HardToHandle

HardToHandle Loaded Pockets

^ thank you. I go to a lot of interesting places with significant screening. Most of places that have screening are not thorough, easily bypassed through subterfuge or simply easily accessible for a determined aggressor. Like a lock, they only keep the honest folk honest, but provide only limited deterrence.

I have been shook down at a few prisons and .mil bases, but no place takes screening as seriously as the US Secret Service. I have run their gauntlet in numerous places, including fixed and temporary screening posts. They are not kidding and have a protocol that seems difficult to defeat. The problem is a handful of protectees get competence while the rest of us get the TSA.

15. MedusaOblongata

MedusaOblongata Loaded Pockets

Poorly executed security theater doesn't keep honest folks honest, it makes honest innocent people into easy and helpless victims.

Dillon L, Thesteve_global and Kilted1 like this.