1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

***Bought my first Victorinox Swiss Army Knife today***

Discussion in 'Knives' started by ReadyFreddy23, Sep 30, 2016.

1. jackknife

jackknife Loaded Pockets

[​IMG]

Of all my stockmen, Case peanut, and other knives, these are the ones I kept for use in my so called golden years. It just made more sense to me at this stage of my life. I used to be a die hard dedicated knife person, including my love of the peanut small jackknife. But I got tired of all the keychain screw drivers and stuff. It's just easier to drop a SAK in a pocket and be ready for those small emergencies that life drops in our path.

It's too bad it took me a lifetime to learn and develop a pragmatic attitude. If I think about it, I regret all the money and time I spent on knife collection and the time wasted. If I could do it all over, I'd just have had that SAK I bought in 1969, and stopped at that. Thinking back I never had need of any of the following;

Fast draw with my knife. I never needed a knife faster than I could pull out a regular pocket knife and open the blade.

A lock on a blade. I guess growing up in the 1950's, I learned to just use the knife right and cut with it.

What was invaluable to me was; a screw driver about a zillion times. It's amazing what you can fix if you can just get into it. Remove a cover/housing, or just tinker and finagle it a bit. Carrying a paper clip in the wallet for a bit of strong wire is a good thing.

Last edited by jackknife, Oct 1, 2016
  2. Gogogordy

Gogogordy Loaded Pockets

Uhh....about that leather Classic case.....looks well made, and well used. Any info on it?

Shike likes this.
  3. jackknife

jackknife Loaded Pockets

Something I made from a piece of scrap letter. It keeps the classic from being beat up by the keys, and it also is much more convenient to use the little SAK because it isn't attached to the keys. I just grab the split ring and pul it out to use it. It also makes it so I can't leave the house without my SAK, so I always have a knife available. It's been there a lot of years and a lotos miles all over the country.

Here's a closer view of it;
    [​IMG]

Last edited by jackknife, Oct 1, 2016
  4. Grimley

Grimley Loaded Pockets

Congrats something just so collectible, socially acceptable and highly functional with them and they last ages. Enjoy! :)

Shike and Tallboyjim like this.
  5. Gogogordy

Gogogordy Loaded Pockets

Well done Jack...I got no skillz that way but maybe you've motivated me to try...I like that.

Shike likes this.
  6. labrador72

labrador72 Loaded Pockets

Congrats! BTW, there are SAK models with locking blades!

Sent from my SGP612 using Tapatalk

fourSAK and Shike like this.
  7. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

Welcome aboard! Everyone above has pretty much already put in pixels most everything I'd say about the wonderfully effective utility of carrying a SAK of some sort as a TRUE edc!

The only warning: if ANYTHING on these forums can be described as the 'Lays Potato Chip' phenom incarnate, it is truly the collecting of SAK's. (As in no body can have just one :p).

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

8. Gogogordy

Gogogordy Loaded Pockets

You gave me the nudge I needed Jackknife...and Thank You for that.

While we all know you can buy a Vic Classic keychain pouch(vinyl) for like $3 bucks, the entertainment value and satisfaction of DIY is much more gratifying and here's what I whipped up today:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    It's on my Jeep key and I'm pretty damned happy with it.

9. jackknife

jackknife Loaded Pockets

OUTSTANDING!!!!!

Good work, Gogogordy!!!

I've found that small SAK's like small pouches. Keeps them nicer on the long haul, not to mention handy.

Shike likes this.
  10. dmattaponi

dmattaponi Loaded Pockets

Welcome aboard...I discovered the same thing as you (and others here) in 2007, and have been carrying SAK EDC ever since. I have purchased a few others through the years, but almost 100% of the time it's a Victorinox Craftsman in my pocket. I do also like the Swisschamp, Deluxe Tinker and Explorer Plus.

Shike likes this.
  11. StarBat

StarBat Loaded Pockets

I was in the same mind set as you as well but I have been converted thanks to the lightness and timeless looks of them. Hope you enjoy your new purchase!

Shike likes this.
  12. Gogogordy

Gogogordy Loaded Pockets

Thank you, of course I used yours as my blueprint, so imitation etc.
    I think I'll keep my day job though!

Shike likes this.
  13. jackknife

jackknife Loaded Pockets

Well, ya did a pretty darn good job on short notice. I had one of those Vic brand vinyl ones, and I lost a SAK because of that cheep crap item. It fell apart and the classic went who knows where. That inspired me to hunt up some scrap leather and good waxed linen thread and make a better one. Or at least a more sturdy one.

Shike likes this.
  14. Lellobeetle

Lellobeetle Loaded Pockets

Congratulations. I love SAKs

Shike likes this.
  15. Bebot54

Bebot54 Loaded Pockets

I'm in the same boat as you. I didn't really see the appeal until I randomly found a classic (blue) in the parking lot at my work. That was about two weeks ago. Now I caught the bug.

[​IMG]

313 likes this.
  16. Todd C.

Todd C. Loaded Pockets

My spyderco ladybug somehow came unattached this morning from my keys and I believe will never be seen again. At first I was just thinking of replacing it with a twin, but after reading this thread I am interested. I have never owned a SAK and I am interested in trying one. Is there any particular model you all would recommend for a key chain? I already have a flashlight and shard attached in case that helps. Thanks guys!

Lellobeetle and 313 like this.
  17. 313

313 Uber Prepared

The Rambler is a sure choice and very popular among the Forum members. Can't go wrong with one. Classics are common and inexpensive, but some are put off by the blade positioning. It's still called the Classic for a reason and everyone should own one.

84mm versions such as the Cadet or small Tinker might also work well on the keychain, especially on dangling ones.

Todd C. likes this.
  18. jcr

jcr Loaded Pockets

i've carried a manager on my key chain for a few years now and i love it. would replace without hesitation if i lost it. its small and light enough that its practically unnoticeable in my pocket and the tool selection is really useful.
    for something so small it copes amazingly well and i rarely, if ever find it lacking.

Todd C. likes this.
  19. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

The pair of a Cadet and Mini Champ are pretty much unbeatable and pocket-able together.

I still carry a big Honking one handed knife too but go nowhere without those 2 if I can help it![​IMG]

20. jackknife

jackknife Loaded Pockets

Your post makes me think of something my old man told me when I was a kid. Dad was one of those old great depression era guys who went through WW2 and raising a family in the post WW2 era of Ozzie and Harriet and the Cleaver family. In other words, just a normal working guy who was raising a family. He always carried this little Case peanut that he'd had since before the war. It was his only pocket knife, and he used it.

When I questioned him once about why he carried such a small knife, he told me that "a pocket knife is something that is carried a lot, but used just a little here and there. So I don't want something in my pocket thats too big or heavy. I want to forget about it unless I need it. It doesn't have to be big, just sharp."

I wish I'd listened more to the old man, he had things figured out. I think that's why the small 58mm SAK's are so popular; they can get lost in a pocket or keychain and forgotten about until you really need it for some cutting job. Or in the case of SAK's, some cutting/snipping, screwing or unscrewing job.

jcr, Moshe ben David and 313 like this.