1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Bottle Openers, why?

Discussion in 'General EDC Discussion' started by Scoman, May 17, 2015.

1. Scoman

Scoman Loaded Pockets

Why does every little tool or keyring gadget have a bottle opener? I thought most bottles nowadays had twist of tops. Do people struggle to open them on such a scale that every tool has to have one? I can honestly say I have only ever used a bottle opener to open a bottle a few times. I have used everything else, key, bic lighter, knife spine but rarely a bottle opener tool. Am I the strange one or should I just drink more bottled beer and get on with life?

2. white_wabbit

white_wabbit Loaded Pockets

Your profile says you live in Scotland?! I didn't know twist tops were so common north of the border. Down here in the backwards South most of the bottles still seem to have the old fashioned tops. The answer for me... Gerber Shard :p

cheeser, Weej and kertap75 like this.
  3. Westerdutch

Westerdutch Loaded Pockets

Same here in Netherlands, 95% of the bottles (at least the ones i drink) have proper caps... And even if twisties became more mainstream i don't think speciality beers will jump that bandwagon too soon so ill still need my openers.

Weej likes this.
  4. LRex
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

LRex Loaded Pockets

I think the cut out to make a bottle opener on a small tool is so easy to make, why not? Must be a marketing tactic where you can have a 4 in 1 tool vs a 5 in 1 tool. People like to see more bang for their buck even for such a novel design, such as a bottle opener. If I really looked at my stuff, The Pangea Designs Alpha (no hex wrench) pickpocket has no really use other than being a keychain that allows me to dangle my keys, but they fitted a bottle opener on it. Might as well have one, than not have one at all. Though this creates a situation, where you also have a pry tool, and that pry tool has a bottle opener and then your Victorinox on your keychain has a bottle opener, by the time you know it, you have several different bottle openers. Which brings us back to your point, I think it's a marketing thing.

5. Narcosynthesis

Narcosynthesis Loaded Pockets

The majority of bottled beers I see here still need a bottle opener, so it is far from being a useless function. I can only guess that your preferred drink is one of the minority with a twist top or come in cans or some other alternative...

As a separate thought, a bottle opener is such an easy addition to most tools, why wouldn't a manufacturer add one in? Pretty much no downside and one extra function to add to the marketing. It can end up with the situation of many people managing to unintentionally carry multiple openers, but given they don't do any harm or get in the way they are not really a bother.

I am also someone who doesn't drink beer so has no use for a bottle opener at all, so if anyone should be annoyed by them appearing everywhere, it would probably be me...

6. MatBlack

MatBlack Loaded Pockets

I don't drink "twist-offs" and I like to drink bottle-beer, hence I carry a dedicated opener.

cheeser, Weej and kertap75 like this.
  7. quietconundrum
    • In Omnia Paratus

quietconundrum EDC Junkie

agree with above. I use my dedicated opener (pictured) regularly, whether for myself or to lend help to another. I honestly don't see many twist-off caps around here.

Weej likes this.
  8. kertap75

kertap75 EDC Junkie!!!!!

I need an opener now. I used to use a lighter our anything else handed as a lever to pop beer bottles. I injured my finger a few years ago and it's sensitive enough that some days it would be impossible and on the best days it's uncomfortable. The sheer volume of things that a bottle opener has been added to lately is mind boggling sometimes but in a way it makes sense. When I look at people's keychain who have never heard of or considered EDC the one tool I almost always see is a bottle opener.

AK Adventurer and Weej like this.
  9. quietconundrum
    • In Omnia Paratus

quietconundrum EDC Junkie

additionally, I find 90% of bottle openers that are built into other tools completely uncomfortable to use or otherwise unwieldy, thus the choice to carry a dedicated.

kertap75 and Weej like this.
  10. GearHunter

GearHunter Loaded Pockets

[​IMG]
    Never without it. The best " on tool " opener I've ever found. I built a new covered patio in our back yard last year and I put one of this old fashioned bottle openers on every post (8) so I always have an opener handy ( we drink a LOT of corona around here) but still find myself reaching for the skeletool.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Nick4305 and Weej like this.
  11. farmdog

farmdog Loaded Pockets

For myself I have not had to use a bottle opener for quite awhile. Just my choices in beverages I guess. I like having the option of having one in case it is needed though.

Weej and GearHunter like this.
  12. Scoman

Scoman Loaded Pockets

I'm genuinely surprised that many people use them so I stand corrected. I do think theres a lot in LRex's statement though. I bought a Trayvax wallet recently and it has one that was bloody awkward to use. Not trusting the security at the small airports I use I cut it off and trimmed it away. The resultant 'stub' is more use as a bottle opener now.

LRex, kertap75 and Weej like this.
  13. Highbinder

Highbinder Loaded Pockets

I'm with you Scoman! I can open a bottle with a lighter with a bit of leverage. Grip it near the cap, and put the lighter under my middle knuckle of my index finger. Can do it with lots of things, another good one is another bottle - only a problem when you get to the last one as you need the edge of the cap of the unopened bottle, the rounded glass slips off.

Knowledge > Equipment.

Weej, IHateBottleOpeners and Scoman like this.
  14. Cheeser
    • In Omnia Paratus

Cheeser Hey Bub!

Usually by about the 5th stubby my coordination is a little off and a bottle opener prevents me ripping my hands up ;)

Weej and kertap75 like this.
  15. stuffgeek

stuffgeek Loaded Pockets

All craft beer in the U.S. Requires an opener

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Weej, graveyard and cheeser like this.
  16. Radkreuzwerfer

Radkreuzwerfer Loaded Pockets

It's not just beer, but normally also glass-bottled soft drinks or so. Though I can open a bottle with nearly everything in range (in emergencies a table or even my teeth), I prefer a dedicated cap lifter. Because of reasons. And thanks to my minimalism I carry just one: my LM Style CS.

Weej and cheeser like this.
  17. guttaperk

guttaperk Loaded Pockets

Openers are always handy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Weej likes this.
  18. cityofthesouth

cityofthesouth Loaded Pockets

I don't get it either. I've never used the bottle opener on a key chain or tool. I can probably count the number of times I've used a bottle opener of any kind on one hand.

Weej likes this.
  19. Weej

Weej Loaded Pockets

I tried to use them, but i always end up using just about anything else other than a bottle opener. Most of times the back of my knife. Its always funny seeing people try to find something to open their dos xx and by the time they look back up at me, ive already began to enjoy my awesomeness.
    I dont always use my bottle opener, but when i do, its because you cant open a beer like me.

sent from my communication device

20. les snyder

les snyder Loaded Pockets

the fine folks at LaRue Tactical are major 3 gun match sponsors...and make quality products... not too PC with their logo

[​IMG]

Bowman1911, Puinsai and Weej like this.