1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Bottle openers really?

Discussion in 'Other Every Day Carry Items' started by MarkNM, Apr 6, 2013.

1. P185Renegade

P185Renegade Loaded Pockets

ill agree there are some gimmicky and un-necessary over the top styles of bottle openers, but I think that bottle openers are good for their intended purpose and work better than trying to show off and use a lighter or table or whatever you wanna use since you are a real man and don't need tools to open your $15 a six pack beer. sure we have all used a lighter or the table, but then some of us get smart and use the proper tool. maybe you shouldn't use a knife, just use your fingernails and teeth to cut things, that's about the same point you are trying to make.

2. aaronu

aaronu Loaded Pockets

Bah. The average Joe or Jane might buy one multitool or SAK, or maybe one for EDC and another for the glove box. We only get "bottle opener fatigue" because we can't stop at one or two multitools. We want the whole set.

The "gimmicky and un-necessary" openers are just that -- gimmicks. Compromises. They're gag gifts or novelties first and bottle openers second; more an expression of personality (or insult) than a tool.

Multitools are a different kind of compromise: expedience. They allow you to always have a way to open a bottle, along with 99 other things. Some multitools are designed by a marketing department, based on what *they* think will sell. Nothing's worse than all these compromises combined: a cheap, condescending, gimmicky, plastic, bling-bling, singing multi-wonder-tool designed by and for idiots, with tools that suck. Or worse yet, get someone hurt. Like the "7-in-1 survival camp shovel" my brother-in-law got me because he knew I liked to hike. Holy crap, what a piece of work that was.

Even the best multitools are a compromise over dedicated tools. That's why most mechanics have a drawer full of screwdrivers, standard as well as deep-wall sockets, extensions, etc. I bet that most of us in a shop setting would reach for a dedicated tool to do any task that matters. Multitools are expedient, but hardly optimal. On occasion I've used a multitool working on a car at home. Half the time I end up cursing my laziness and fetch the right tool. The other half the time I end up cursing my laziness and look for a Band-Aid.

But I ain't gonna EDC my rollaway... EDC is all about expedient. We put in way too much time figuring out how to get the most capability out of what we carry in our pockets or a bag, but always within the framework of what's expedient.

I'd reach for a good mulit-tool bottle (with opener) before I'd grab a dry-erase marker or a lighter... which there's no guarantee I would have handy anyway. And when at home I'd grab the fancy opener in the kitchen or the one I have out by my barbecues before I grabbed my EDC tools.

LOL @ this thread. Where else can you find six pages of diatribe on the ubiquity of BOTTLE OPENERS? I LOVE THIS PLACE!

:Juggle:

Cobra 6 Actual likes this.
  3. Crash_Fistfight

Crash_Fistfight Loaded Pockets

Well, MarkNM certainly got what he wanted; 6 pages of blather about bottle openers.

The hook was well and truly set and he landed the bunch of ya!

LOL!

thwippa likes this.
  4. ARCustomKnives

ARCustomKnives Loaded Pockets

As someone who appreciates a good beer that doesn't more closely resemble a flavor between stale water and piss, I require the use a bottle opener all the time. Heck, I've even designed and made a few bottle opener keychain tools.

In other news, I also use hammers to drive nails, wrenches to turn bolts, and screw drivers to drive screws.

I have noticed that kickstarter.com could be more accurately referred to as "bottleopeners-wallets-andthingsformyiphone.com" though.

;)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Cobra 6 Actual and emcdannell like this.
  5. gooseman1991

gooseman1991 Loaded Pockets

Most of the time I drink can beers and when I do drink bottles very rarely is it not a twist off. So for me a bottle opener alone is not something I would keep on my person, at home is another story, but it would be nice to know you had it if you needed it such as a Swiss Army Knife, keyring, or Leatherman that had one.

6. emcdannell
    • In Omnia Paratus

emcdannell Loaded Pockets

This literally made me lol

Sent from my Nexus 4