1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Bottle openers really?

Discussion in 'Other Every Day Carry Items' started by MarkNM, Apr 6, 2013.

1. MarkNM
    • In Omnia Paratus

MarkNM Loaded Pockets

There are literally 1000s of different bottle openers...my question is why do you need one at all? I usually use my lighter or knife handle or table or basically anything.
    A can opener I could see being useful in certain situations but if you can't pop open your beer without the aid of some tool made for that purpose IMHO you shouldn't have that beer

2. Here Comes The BOOM

Here Comes The BOOM EDC Junkie!!!!!

I don't get it either [​IMG]

If I ever get a custom SAK it definitely won't have a bottle-opener on it though.

microbe and MarkNM like this.
  3. microbe

microbe EDC Junkie!!!!!

In Spain they now have beer caps you open with one of your EDC fingers :
    [​IMG]

4. jeeves3443

jeeves3443 Loaded Pockets

problem is that if you have a can opener on a SAK you need to have a 'tool' to oppose it. Obviously the most logical and best-fit 'tool' is the bottle opener. I'm sure another tool could be fitted, but if it were easy and made sense I feel like they'd have done it.

5. MarkNM
    • In Omnia Paratus

MarkNM Loaded Pockets

SAK aside I see a lot of dedicated bottle openers out on the net...
    Seems like a fairly sizable market and I just think wow a lot of money being made/spent on something no one truly needs at least IMHO

billybeans likes this.
  6. Matt130
    • In Omnia Paratus

Matt130 Loaded Pockets

When you drink as much beer as I do, you need a way to lift those caps. I don't want to use my knife for anything except cutting (I would rather not chip or damage an expensive knife, when a 5 dollar opener on my keyring could prevent that), I don't carry a lighter because I don't smoke, and as for a table/counter top...Why would you do that IF you had a bottle opener with you?

I used to use a ring. I would wear a crappy titanium ring and open bottles with that, yes the ring got some slight damage, but it worked. I stopped wearing the ring because it looked like a wedding band. I need the ladies to know I am available :) . I didn't wear the ring on my ring- finger, but sometimes all the ladies see is a ring, they don't stop to think which finger it's on.

I have a dedicated bottle opener on my key ring, it is slim and unobtrusive, so why not have it?

I do agree, there are too many bottle openers out there. I don't want everything I own to be able to open a bottle. It is becoming an annoying fad, but at least it serves a function.

7. microbe

microbe EDC Junkie!!!!!

The best execution of a bottle opener I am aware in any tool, is the one on the Skeletool.
    It doubles as a carabiner (or vice versa). Zero bulk, nice design.

billybeans and Take2 like this.
  8. Blair

Blair Loaded Pockets

I think part of it is macho/consumerist bravado, "not only do I drink beer all the time I also quaff the fancy stuff that doesn't twist off"

Similar to how instagram is 75% expensive craft beers.

I've got nothing against that, or carrying a bottle opener, but my eyes are about to roll right out of their sockets and put two holes in the drywall if I see another tool with a bottle opener stuck on it.

I do like the bottle opener on the pockettoolx/leatherman piranha though! But I can just use a lighter or another bottle to pop a cold one.

9. Matt130
    • In Omnia Paratus

Matt130 Loaded Pockets

Prepare to have your eyes roll out of their sockets...

This carabiner is pretty cool and a couple of the models double as a bottle opener.
    http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1147070536/bauhaus-series-unibody-titanium-key-carabiner?ref=category

10. will m
    • In Omnia Paratus

will m Loaded Pockets

And then there are those of us who don't smoke and don't have a lighter.

ProjeKtWEREWOLF and Matt130 like this.
  11. Blair

Blair Loaded Pockets

Granted was a CRKT piece of.junk, but when my buddy's prybar-tool broke, it broke right where the bottle opener cutout was.

I wish I could have got a pic of it before he tossed it.

12. Blair

Blair Loaded Pockets

I do like the Atwoods that are tiny prybars with bottle openers though!

And the wave/bottle opener combo on HESTs.

13. tmedina

tmedina EDC Junkie!!!!!

Bottle openers tend to be incorporated into tool designs the same way strobe/SOS tends to be incorporated into flashlights - the illusion of value-added to the device. Whether you actually need it or not.

That said - eh. Niche products like Atwood can and do thrive, although being not much more than bottle openers with a couple of unlikely-to-be-used tools built in. I say this as I think about the Atwoods I have and the ones I'd like to get, mind you.

After a while, finding that perfect bottle opener for your keychain becomes something of a hobby, even if you can't remember the last time you actually popped a bottle of beer, or Coca Cola.

jeepsrjason and Blair like this.
  14. Cornholio2188

Cornholio2188 Loaded Pockets

It's nice when opening another person's beer who can't do it in other ways. Plus you don't risk chipping someones furniture or their lighter-since I don't normally carry one. And if they're holding it you can do it one handed instead of having to grip w/one hand and using a lighter or something else in the other...at least when I use a lighter I need both so it doesn't just slip from their hold... :(

jeepsrjason and will m like this.
  15. Ogre

Ogre Banned

i dont carry a lighter since i don't smoke any more. i don't want to leave gouges in my sebeza to open a beer, if im carrying my griptilian i wouldnt care, but i cant recal if its got any appropriate edges for opening a beer.

i dont want to damage my own dinner table, or a relatives/freinds. at a :censored: bar, or on park bench i would. but those are two places i rarely ever drink. I can open a beer with my wedding ring but its rather soft being gold and i dont want to mess it up.

I could just buy only twist offs for cans, but a lot of good beer doesnt come that way.

so, the ti pickpocket on my keychain is a better option. its main purpose is to hang from my pocket and suspend my keys but it also has a bottle opener in case i need it. it take up hardly any space and weighs nothing.

should i ditch that and use my teeth instead? more manly i suppose.

16. Cornholio2188

Cornholio2188 Loaded Pockets

Yeah I agree-it's just added in as another tool. If you never use it as a screwdriver or use other OPMT's with the hex or spanner, it's something that has function rather than just being jewelry.

Plus, I can also guarantee it's something that's much more likely to be worn by a lot of people instead of your typical jewelry, and a heck of a lot cooler.
    But I'm sure you've noticed that Atwoods, JMA, and other small run pocket tool companies sell well because of their collectible value-and not necessarily because of their usage ;)

tmedina likes this.
  17. Steffen

Steffen Loaded Pockets

:eek:
    i love bottle openers.
    unfortunately i dont carry on at the moment, since i stopped carrying a sak in my edc pouch.
    so i have to get a key chain model asap.

Badger375 likes this.
  18. MarkNM
    • In Omnia Paratus

MarkNM Loaded Pockets

Well I don't smoke either but I'm prepared for anything...
    I want a prybaby but really just for the looks/collectibility I bought a TT pocketbook merely for box wrench and pry uses
    I've also never damaged any knife either
    Good point about opening someone else's beer though

19. artaxerxes

artaxerxes Loaded Pockets

I have never tried to use a table edge or a Bic lighter to open a beer.If I need to open one, I use the bottle opener.Simpler and without the risk of hurting yourself.

20. lekvar

lekvar Loaded Pockets

I personally find the "lighter" method to be a hassle, plus I rarely carry one. The "table" method can scar a finish, and it's not always guaranteed that the owner of the table will approve. Similarly I could use the handle od a screwdriver as a hammer to save space in my toolbag. Some knife handles work well, others not so much. In the meantime I always have my 11-in-1 card with me (it takes Lmost no space in the pocket) and it's pretty much guaranteed to work.

TL;DR - use right tool for the job.

Texmos, whoozle, Gryffin and 2 others like this.