1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Bottle opener, Why?

Discussion in 'EDC Clothing' started by Scoman, Nov 29, 2016.

1. Carcass

Carcass Loaded Pockets

Im my opinion it's just another gimmick. But read some of the posts on this site. Aren't 80% of products people discuss gimmicky? Everything from people carrying fishing line wherever they go to carrying fire starter in a altoid tin.

garza and kikaida like this.
  2. DIlan

DIlan Loaded Pockets

Maybe it won't if you carry your phone naked or in slim/thin case. Those bulky "protect my phone from nuclear catastrophe" cases would look like you're wearing knee protector but also people who wear those type of cases probably won't worry how their pants look like.

3. herman30

herman30 Loaded Pockets

Mmm...no you´re not! Not in the part of Europe I live in. Here military surplus and camoclothing is a normal thing in the middle of citys.

Europe consist of a number of different countries and different cultures, some are very conservative and some are very open minded, from one extreme to another. And then there is a buch of inbetweens.

babola likes this.
  4. garza

garza Loaded Pockets

Most phones without a case are too wide to carry in a pant pocket around the knees,

5. babola

babola Loaded Pockets

Ditto in the Euro-zone country I hail from.
    Cargo, camo, field army pants/fatigues are still 'cool' and if matched up nicely with the rest of the overall attire pleasing to the eye fashion-wise, too.

I often wear my re-tailored M51 and M65 fatigues casually with either vintage leather boots or sneakers and still get approached and asked where did I managed to source from. The other day I wore TAD Covert pants in Multicam out on the town and didn't feel out of place at all. In US that might be a different situation and experience and be frowned upon due to the fact MC is currently being worn by the active forces.

Of all places I've been to in Europe, Berlin stood out how much mil surplus clothing people still wear around the town...N-3, M51/M65 parkas, A2 leather bombers, MA-1 nylon bombers, BDUs, Vietnam jungle fatigues...you name it - all the cool US army surplus uniform pieces from the 60es-80es once popular in US and around the world have somehow found their revival over there. And those are now getting scarce and harder to procure, too.

Nick4305 and herman30 like this.
  6. DIlan

DIlan Loaded Pockets

Where do you guys live? Take into consideration that I'm serious guy.:cool: If I appear in camo or tac.pants I would be considered to be a hipster or inappropriately dressed.

7. babola

babola Loaded Pockets

Don't take yourself too seriously :)

I recently worked in Italy, previously in Germany and Belgium. IT contractor, architect. I am expected to keep high standard of corporate wear (read "corporate uniform" or a suit) during the week, but on weekends anything goes for me. I can tell you both Italians and Germans are big on vintage military apparel.

P.S. Writing this during holidays, sitting in a cafe with my young family, wearing M65 OD fatigues, gray Abercrombie Henley, brown Timberland West Haven 6-inch boots and sipping latte ;-). Not exactly a fashion biatch but not too far from it either ;)

Nick4305 likes this.
  8. Nick4305
    • In Omnia Paratus

Nick4305 EDC Junkie!!!!!

Hi Babola,
    may i ask you, if this doesn't create any kind of "trouble" to you, where have you been in Italy and how has been your permanence in my Country ? TIA.

9. speedy

speedy Loaded Pockets

You have no idea. My carabiner from Leatherman has a bottle opener. My shard from Gerber has one. My belt buckle from Cabelas has one. My Skeletool has one. My SAK has one. I even used to own a pair of flip-flops that have one on the bottom of the shoe. Also, in my draw-string bag I carry a bartenders tool for recently gotten into White Wine and that too has a bottle opener.

To add to that, I hardly ever drink beer.

:::Shrug::::

Spyke, DIlan, Scoman and 1 other person like this.
  10. babola

babola Loaded Pockets

Trieste and Bergamo...ciao Nicola!

Not sure what you mean by 'permanence' but overall stay was great. (My grandmother was born and bread Triestina, too)

Nick4305 likes this.
  11. thebruce

thebruce Loaded Pockets

It actually annoys me when I have duplication of tools, so having a bottle opener jammed onto everything anymore sucks!

Spyke likes this.
  12. DIlan

DIlan Loaded Pockets

Weekends... Unfortunately they last for two days... Since work time takes most of our time that's what bothers me.

13. skukuza

skukuza Loaded Pockets

Because it is a mans world.

14. Dread

Dread Loaded Pockets

People need to realize that anything is a bottle opener.

ox71 likes this.
  15. indigo_wolf

indigo_wolf AKA Breezy

Only in the same way that everything is a hammer.

ATB,
    Sam

ox71 likes this.
  16. Dread

Dread Loaded Pockets

In a similar way. Lever VS. stone.

17. nolaradio

nolaradio Loaded Pockets

Last edited by nolaradio, Dec 31, 2018
    #37 nolaradio, Feb 13, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2018
    Gary Gross likes this.
  18. Nick4305
    • In Omnia Paratus

Nick4305 EDC Junkie!!!!!

Great ! Didn't see your reply before.
    The head company i work for is based in Trieste, so i've been there quite a lot of times !
    Cheers

19. Spyke

Spyke Loaded Pockets

If you watch gadget videos on YouTube it seems every single darn "multitool" boasts a bottle opener. They present it like it's the most important thing you can have. Now even pants have them? Why? Heck I use the cutout on the rail of my garage door to pop open bottles....I just don't understand the fascination with bottle openers.

Top two most important features apparently are; bottle opener and a way to charge your cellphone.

20. jag-engr
    • Administrator

jag-engr Semper Bufo!
    Staff Member

I don't think they are actually very important, but they are easy, hence manufacturer's love for them. A bottle opener is a very cheap and easily-formed piece of metal. What kind of machining tolerances do you imagine that a bottle opener has? If you have space on a tool, you can just grind an angled notch, and... voila! You have added another "function" or "tool".

LivingUpNorth and Nick4305 like this.