1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Bottle opener, Why?

Discussion in 'EDC Clothing' started by Scoman, Nov 29, 2016.

1. Scoman

Scoman Loaded Pockets

DIlan likes this.
  2. Holliday

Holliday Loaded Pockets

LOL, I think they were just on Shark Tank. Horrible IMO. Another solution that needs a problem.

Vikesfan, JayHawk and 0dBm like this.
  3. 0dBm

0dBm Loaded Pockets

The insipid bottle opener will damage the washing machine and dryer tub and cause delay at airport & courthouse checkpoints.

Lellobeetle, gazz98, Holliday and 2 others like this.
  4. 0dBm

0dBm Loaded Pockets

Should be a good match for SCOTTeVEST products to form a TuxEDCdo.

thegrouch314 and Scoman like this.
  5. babola

babola Loaded Pockets

From my personal view there are so many 'issues' with that product, it's not funny.

Apart from the silly hip attachment called the bottle opener, there's nothing 'tactical' in those pants that pants from many a manufacturer like 5.11, Propper, TAD, Tru-Spec, Condor, Vertx, Mountain khakis etc, don't already come with. And I mean - absolutely nothing. And the pants from all of the aforementioned makers cost a good deal less than $150 which these guys say the retail will be post Kickstarter.

Another thing that rubs me the wrong way too is when the maker doesn't specify the actual fibre or material content. The so called "Technologically Advanced Tactical Fabric" means stuff-all and is usually a way to hide the fact the garment is made of a cheap-a$s stretch Polyester cloth.

But what do I know, 711 people on KIckstarter who collectively kissed $115k goodbye already, seem to disagree with me.

Good on Barbell Aparrel guys to put a 'Tactical' in pants and made others go all over them, though.

kikaida and Scoman like this.
  6. Holliday

Holliday Loaded Pockets

Couldn't agree more. What is very telling is that the company did not get a deal on Shark Tank. When the creator of a billion dollar clothing line (Daymond John) wants no part of it, that speaks volumes.

711 people just confirmed a quote most famously associated with P.T. Barnum.

Flashman likes this.
  7. thatotherguy

thatotherguy EDC Junkie!!!!!

I once saw a pair of flip flops with a bottle opener embedded in the sole. With those and these pants, all we need is a bottle opener shirt and we'd have a full ensemble of nearly useless redundant foolishness.

Gary Gross likes this.
  8. 0dBm

0dBm Loaded Pockets

Oh, I don't know, how 'bout a matte black "tactical" bow tie with a hidden pocket to carry a flash drive and a mini FAK.

thatotherguy likes this.
  9. J_C
    • In Omnia Paratus

J_C Loaded Pockets

I need a bottle opener very rarely. When I do, I am at home. When I go out to restaurants that serve beer, they usually (always) open the bottle for me. I also have, let's see, about 10 Victorinox pocket knives that all (but 1) include bottle openers, plus three Leatherman tools that, you guessed it, have bottle openers. I always have 1 or more Vic SAKs with me, and from 1 to 3 Leatherman tools.

So the chances that I will be without a bottle opener built into my pants in any situation are slim.

Now if you find pants that include an ice dispenser, a cocktail glass, and a bourbon reservoir, we might be able to work out something.

Allans865 and Nick4305 like this.
  10. thegrouch314

thegrouch314 Loaded Pockets

I need a bottle opener fairly often. i'm too cheap to drink in a pub and twist-offs are hard to come by here
    I've never needed a bottle opener attached to my trousers. Why pay $150 some for these trousers when you can get a keychain bottle opener for under $1?

11. Municipal_Jedi

Municipal_Jedi Loaded Pockets

But guys they have sleeve tattoos and muscles we all need these pants so we can be cool too! I can't believe you don't see the awesome functionality of hanging your sunglasses from a forged aluminium bottle opener permanently attached to your pants. Yeezzzzz. /s

kikaida and thegrouch314 like this.
  12. Viper101

Viper101 Loaded Pockets

I will argue that I use my bottle opener more than any other tool I carry. That said these are dumb and don't even really look good.

13. gazz98

gazz98 Loaded Pockets

1. I don't spend $99 let alone $150 on pants.
    2. My MT or SAK has a bottle opener if I need it.
    3. 0dBm said it. That bottle opener won't help your washing machine.
    4. Apparently you have to roll up these pants and not wear socks. I can't do that either.

kikaida likes this.
  14. ItsHardToKnow

ItsHardToKnow Loaded Pockets

Welcome to EDCF, where redundant foolishness runs wild.

aicolainen and thatotherguy like this.
  15. DIlan

DIlan Loaded Pockets

Well guys I don't think you're absolutely right about this product. From my point of view, these pants are awesome except in term of price. I wear that style of pants every day (Chinos with side pocket). The main problem is that everything inside side pocket tends to fall out. This design with "special" zipper could be day saver and one knee hidden pocket is great and would be even better if there's one on the other knee. So it would be the total of 6 pockets. Everybody know that back pockets are hard to use if you're sitting for long period of time.
    I'm writing all of this because in urban surround where I live and work( in Europe) you are considered to be weird if you're wearing tactical pants with lots of pockets, so I'm forced to wear man bag. This would make a replacement for my man bag. Wallets, keys, cell phone, pen and torch that I wear always on myself but have to put them in a bag and carry that bag whenever I'll be sitting.

Cobra 6 Actual and gazz98 like this.
  16. ItsHardToKnow

ItsHardToKnow Loaded Pockets

You cant fit those items in your traditional 5-pocket pants??

I have and do. Maybe its USA just being better, I dont know.

17. DIlan

DIlan Loaded Pockets

First of all 4 pockets since it's chinos. As I mentioned stuff fall out of non-zippered pockets on sides and back pockets are unusable when you're sitting.

18. jag-engr
    • Administrator

jag-engr Semper Bufo!
    Staff Member

The hidden seam pocket is a nice idea. Medically, the best place to carry a cell phone on your body is on the outside of your thigh. However, cargo pants are not appropriate for many working environments, including mine.

Other than the hidden seam pocket, though, I see nothing innovative in these pants, just a lot of gimmick. Everyone's taste differ, but I see no way in which these are worth $150.

DIlan likes this.
  19. DIlan

DIlan Loaded Pockets

That's the good point to highlight. When we have to carry phones in pockets we're forced to carry it near our heart or our man pride :D. Two pockets in knee level would be great.

20. indigo_wolf

indigo_wolf AKA Breezy

I suspect carrying anything but the absolutely lightest phone in the seam pocket is going to turn that leg into the world's silliest looking pendulum. I also suspect given the likely material the pans are made of that the phone with "print" like mad every time you sit down.

That pocket looks like it might be good for holding a subway pass or prox card.

ATB,
    Sam

DIlan likes this.