1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

BOOTS!

Discussion in 'EDC Clothing' started by KAMM, Feb 12, 2013.

1. RacerX

RacerX Loaded Pockets

I don't think you've mentioned that you are *required* by work to wear a steeltoe...

If you aren't, then don't. Just don't.

2. Shorttime

Shorttime Loaded Pockets

I work in a limestone processing plant. It's all steel and concrete, water, mud, snow, and the dust from the processed stone reacts with the leather. My brand new boots two months ago now look something like the fella's who works around maple syrup. In fact, it may be the same chemical reaction.

I've had good luck with Timberlands, in spite of their boots being imported. They last me about eight months. That translates to about two years for people who don't expose their boots to alkaline chemicals!

You get what you pay for, and quality work boots start around 150. There are exceptions, but I've had coworkers try to lowball it with $80 boots, that end up lasting about three months.

Wax helps, too. I use "Camp Dry" by Kiwi, because a local outfitter carries it. It helps. Wax the laces too, and set yourself up a way to make the boots warm to the touch, so the leather absorbs the wax more easily. Re-apply after a serious submerging.

Steel toes are every bit as heavy as you've heard, and the caps conduct cold. Stay away.

BUT. The composite toe, alloy toe, protective toe, etc, boots are excellent! As light as their soft-toe counterparts, and they don't get cold.

My suggestion is a company called "Pleaser". They are not work boots, in the strictest sense, but they definitely have their own... unique:rolleyes: .. appeal.

KAMM likes this.
  3. TheInsideOutsider

TheInsideOutsider Loaded Pockets

cowsmilk and KAMM like this.
  4. Shorttime

Shorttime Loaded Pockets

Okay, I'm interested, but I don't see anything indicating chemical resistance on the link.

I'm going to do some other looking.

5. Shorttime

Shorttime Loaded Pockets

Grrr. Stupid hotkeys.

It would seem that I am not supposed to finish this post, and I can't edit my first one.

Third try.

These Redwing boots look to be made of cordura. Processed limestone is abrasive, and heats up when exposed to water. They may be resistant to some chemicals, but I would give them three days in my workplace.

Can you tell me where to find information about them? I can't find anything.

6. Medic715

Medic715 Loaded Pockets

I have 2 pair: off duty, CAT black steel toe boots. On duty: Haix Airpower R1.

7. r-ice
    • In Omnia Paratus

r-ice Loaded Pockets

quick question on this seal skinz, i've never heard of em, after reading them they might be what I need as well. How well does the sock hold up? I find I have to wear specific nike socks as they prevent the socks from bunching up. I also find the socks wear out faster at the heel, how well do they hold up to wear and tear? Have you tried their glove line? I want to find gloves that are waterproof, warm as heck, able to drive and have finger dexterity.

8. TheInsideOutsider

This is all the extra info I could find online.
    http://www.lima.redwingshoestore.com/product/02492
    I would give Redwing a call or go to one of their brick and mortar stores for more information.

9. Shorttime

Shorttime Loaded Pockets

Right. There's a store a couple miles from me. I may have to try that.

KAMM, sorry to derail your thread. It's one of my skills....

10. cowsmilk

cowsmilk EDC Junkie!!!!!

I'll have to look into those. Thanks for the link.:)

Sent from my phone while I'm supposed to be working, or sleeping.

11. Ludwell01

Ludwell01 Loaded Pockets

Check out the Keen range of boots.
    some are "soft toe" and some steel.
    I think the waterproofing is Sympatex?

I love mine and have been rotating 2 pairs for a little over 3 years.

The good thing for you in the US is there is a 90 days no quibble money back guarantee on them!

They are a little more hiker than rocker when it comes to boots

Here's a few pics of mine after the last 3 years use...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

phil_kelly likes this.
  12. cowsmilk

cowsmilk EDC Junkie!!!!!

I've had both the Detroit's and the Pittsburgh models of Keens work boots. I really like both and couldn't recommend them more. I just wanted to try a leather boot again. I should have known.

Ludwell01 likes this.
  13. Cobra 6 Actual

Cobra 6 Actual Loaded Pockets

First off, I haven't tried their gloves. On the socks: it's a little difficult to tell about how they wear since I only use them when it's really wet out -- maybe ten times or so a year. But, I've had mine for about ten years and they're still fine. I use a thin undersock with them. The material, by the way, is like a thin and stretchy neoprene. Hope that helps.

14. r-ice
    • In Omnia Paratus

r-ice Loaded Pockets

hmm next time I am at basspro i'll take a look. I have these really nice merino wool socks and some other snowboarding/skiing type socks. I wore them out in one winter.. sigh..

Cobra 6 Actual likes this.
  15. P185Renegade

P185Renegade Loaded Pockets

i wear red wing model 620's. they are the most durable, most comfortable boots ive ever had, and ive had every major brand and multiple styles. and they always stay dry, i work in a very wet environment, sometimes being in standing water as tall as my boots and they have never leaked. i love them. they are the only boots i will be buying for work from now on. the ones i wear are non steel toe, but they do make a steel toe version and an insulated version.

i have however been very interested in the keen boots. they look awesome. some models have steel toe and waterproofing too. i might have to try out a pair this summer.

if theres any edc topic i can be knowledgable about, its boots, i buy them like some of you buy knives. :) i guess i buy knives like that too. lol.

16. Supper Slash

Supper Slash Banned

I love my red wings. U might need to look to find the tread you are looking for.
    I prefer street tread on mine, (kinda smooth and lasts forever.) But my other pair
    are Timberland s.

17. customh

customh Loaded Pockets

2% have you used the Obenauf's Heavy Duty Leather protectant? I'd be curious to see how it held up if you threw a nice coat of that on while the boots and stuff are warm. Let me know just how good the stuff is.

18. cowsmilk

cowsmilk EDC Junkie!!!!!

I'll have to try that on my next pair of boots. I've got one more pair of leather boots, unworn in my closet, then I'm going back to Keens. Right now, I just use whatever brand the local boot store carrys, can't remember the name. It may not matter though, the stuff we make is hydrophilic so anytime its allowed to stay on my boots overnight, it absorbs any moisture it can get and cracks the leather.

19. Maxgussam

Maxgussam Empty Pockets

Might I suggest Baffin Ice Bear boots.
    Composite toe, and very durable and warm.
    Much better than any of the Muck boots IMO.

20. TheInsideOutsider