1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Boots - What are you wearing???

Discussion in 'EDC Clothing' started by Jabbalaugh, Jan 4, 2015.

1. thatotherguy

thatotherguy EDC Junkie!!!!!

Depends on the situation. When I have work to do I usually wear my Chippewa loggers (if you want to see what they look like, look at Jarhead Greasemonkey's post on page 5... exact same boots, though mine have a gouge or two in the toecap). For daily wear I love my 6 inch Thorogood plain toe, wedge soled, Tobacco Gladiator American Heritage boots (Thorogood REALLY needs to come up with a catchier name for those boots). Most comfortable boots I've worn.
    When I want something a little dressier, I have a pair of inexpensive but good quality and nice looking brown nubuck Western boots with a leather sole.
    When I really have to get in the muck and mud I have a pair of those cheap Servus rubber steeltoes... no use getting a pair of Mucks when I rarely need the muck boots.

My previous pair of go-anywhere, do-anything boots was a pair of nine inch Bates Navy issue steel toes. Still functional, but worn out... the Vibram outsole actually cracked at the point where the tread meets the arch area (hope that made sense) after about 3 years of abuse. Upper still has some life left in it and the sole could be usable for another few years if it didn't have that crack in each sole, but where the crack is there's no easy way to repair it and have it functional, so they're retired. They were the best $40 article of clothing I have bought.

Jarhead Greasemonkey likes this.
  2. Evil D

Evil D Loaded Pockets

I actually prefer to put my own polish on them, but I don't care about a mirror polish. I just want them to shine but I like to see the leather grain too. And I'm sort of anti brown boots so they have to be black. Unfortunately this was why I stuck with Redwings the last time I bought boots. I did order a pair of 978's, which are the spit shine single layer toe boot, but they looked ridiculous. I couldn't take them seriously at all. They looked worse than pleather. The cut/style/tread design of that boot is my all time favorite, but I absolutely can't stand that finish they put on there. If I could get that exact boot in a typical Redwing style boot finish, I'd buy two pair right now.

3. malv1

malv1 Loaded Pockets

Which boots are these? These look awesome. Are they comfortable?

Tappin and Talkin on the iPad

4. Southpaw

Southpaw EDC Junkie!!!!!

Clarks Bushacre or Desert boots. Yes very comfortable!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. malv1

malv1 Loaded Pockets

Awesome! Thanks for the info! I'm gonna go look em up

Tappin and Talkin on the iPad

6. Southpaw

Southpaw EDC Junkie!!!!!

No problem! Enjoy them, they'll last a long time

7. Sheepdog149

Sheepdog149 Loaded Pockets

[​IMG]
    Red Wing engineer boots 9268's
    (Japan only model)

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

8. DEERLORD

DEERLORD Loaded Pockets

Another Iron Ranger fan. If I'm not wearing those I'm wearing flops or my Wolverines for work. Those rangers are seriously one of the best things I've ever bought.

Sheepdog149 likes this.
  9. Sheepdog149

Yup, I agree 100%. I just picked up a second pair of Iron Ranger's -- amber colored 8111's. The build quality of RW boots is truly impressive.

10. DEERLORD

DEERLORD Loaded Pockets

My pair are amber, I was really considering black but I never got around to finding a pair i could check out in person.

Sheepdog149 likes this.
  11. sk33tr

sk33tr Loaded Pockets

on the left: timberland pro pit boss steel toe - for working outside. they've seen a lot of had work but are holding up very well. i have no complaints with them at all. they sound heavy when i walk with them on through the house, but they're quite comfortable even when wearing them for most of the day.

on the right: merrell moab mid gore-tex in dark earth color (got these at half price from a local outdoors store, couldn't pass up the deal). i wear these a few times a week to work. they are very comfortable and feel almost as light as my new balance 990s; no fatigue at all.

[​IMG]

i really want to get a pair of red wings. i pass by a red wing store on my way to work and i really need to stop in there.

Foxwalk likes this.
  12. Badillac

Badillac Loaded Pockets

I use work issued Belleville's.

Sheepdog149 likes this.
  13. Brisket

Brisket Loaded Pockets

For work (office and field) I currently rotate between some LL Bean Katahdin, Frye Dakota Plain Toe and Chippewa Service Boots. My serious work boots are Danner Quarry and Danner Bull Run boots. Current hikers are Hanwag Yellowstone II, Kenetrek Desert Guide Boots and Danner Mountain Light boots. Hunting Boots are Cabela Meindl Denali and Danner East Ridge. Knocking around boots are various cowboy boots, Danner Light II and Frye Dakota Suede.

14. Texasshipagent

Texasshipagent Loaded Pockets

[​IMG]

15. landwire
    • In Omnia Paratus

landwire Loaded Pockets

I got on a pair of Redwing boots. I bought this pair at least 4 years ago. I had to change the laces and the insoles several times. Outside of that, the boot is still going strong. The sales lady was exceptional. She really knew how to do her job when I was being measured. After asking and explaining a few things, she got me a pair that fits my foot so well.

Schnurri likes this.
  16. Sheepdog149

Red Wing Iron Ranger's -- #8111

Schnurri likes this.
  17. Sheepdog149

[​IMG]
    Red Wing Iron Ranger boots -- 8111's

TheKojack, Doug507, ANJARI and 2 others like this.
  18. Schnurri

Schnurri Loaded Pockets

How long do the leather laces last in your boots, guys? My first lace broke after 4 weeks, the second after 8 - I would have thought original RW laces would hold up a bit better and I hope that they're made from different leather than the boots because that would be a bad sign, quality wise.

19. Sheepdog149

Schnurri - they should last longer than that, then again that depends on how hard you wear your boots. You can oil/condition your laces too, extending their lifespan. Also, there's folks that supply horsehide laces, which are rumored to be tougher than other leather laces. There's tough waxed canvas laces too. I borrowed the leather laces on my IRs from a pair of Frye Logan Captoe boots. I put blue waxed canvas laces on the Logans. Blue laces signify "pro USA made products" (see Flint & Tinder's blue lace project).[​IMG]

Bowman1911 likes this.
  20. bubbaj

bubbaj Loaded Pockets

Chippewa boots. Best bang for the buck IMO.