1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Boots - What are you wearing???

Discussion in 'EDC Clothing' started by Jabbalaugh, Jan 4, 2015.

1. soundlessnut

soundlessnut Loaded Pockets

Hi there, sorry for the late reply. They're from an Australian/new Zealand outdoors company called Kathmandu

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

sungame likes this.
  2. sungame

sungame Loaded Pockets

Thanks!

3. EveryDayBeer
    • In Omnia Paratus

EveryDayBeer Loaded Pockets

Posting in hopes of recommendations. So I can budget ahead. Currently wearing some Red Wing Irish Setters that are oblique toed, fairly comfortable but made in China. Picked them out specifically for the oblique toe, much more comfortable than their regular steel toed boots.

Looking for something similar but made in the USA (or at least assembled here) and similar price range. A lil more is okay, don't work platform inbound any more so they won't get torn up like my last pair. Should last longer. Currently a mechanic, work daily with inkjet fluid, canceller ink, and various cleaning chemicals. No more rolling stock going over my toes :D but the leather is still good for spill & (minor) electrical protection hey.

Been looking at (as an example) Danner and asked in-store at Red Wing and the salesperson there was kinda ehh. So am looking myself but advice from fellow boot-wearers is welcome. Cheers.

4. mike3145

mike3145 Loaded Pockets

Asking about Danner at the Red Wing store is kind of like asking about Ford at the Chevy store.

Obviously you have the U.S. made Red Wings, along with some Danners, Chippewa, Thorogood, and Keen. I have a pair of the all leather Braddock steel toe boots (U.S. assembled, global components) and they are very comfortable and come in a wide width if you need that. Keen also does an asymmetrical toe.

5. EveryDayBeer
    • In Omnia Paratus

EveryDayBeer Loaded Pockets

I didn't ask about the Danners at the RW store; guess that could've been worded better. I asked the salesperson if she could recommend something similar (by Red Wings of course) to the Irish Setters but US made. They had nothing at the time. Which led me to check out Danners on my own, can't find much locally as of yet.

Cheers for the suggestions, will see about availability of the others. There's a few boot-places about but the obvious one seems to cater mostly to people that want to be cowboys. My belt buckles aren't big enough. :p

Last edited by EveryDayBeer, Dec 2, 2016
  6. mike3145

mike3145 Loaded Pockets

Red Wing makes a bunch of boots and shoes and as you know also owns Irish Setter and Vasque. It seems odd that they didn't have anything that might suit your needs but maybe they didn't have anything in the store at that time??

I was lucky enough to find a store that sells work boots almost exclusively and had 50+ pairs on display. Timberland's Hyperion was my second choice. They felt a little "cushier" than the Keens but in the end I went with the Keens because they felt more "supportive," if that makes any sense. None of that much matters because what fits my foot well, may not fit yours.

Unfortunately Danner doesn't offers a comfort guarantee and only allows you to return "unworn" boots. It isn't how they feel at the beginning of the day, it's the end of the day that counts. Is it at all practical to wear, say a heavy pair of insulated work boots around the house (walking only on carpeting) for an entire day? Timberland, Keen, and Red Wing offer one.

EveryDayBeer likes this.
  7. SFGIANTSGUY28

SFGIANTSGUY28 Loaded Pockets

Sorel Maddison Chucka

8. Sao
    • In Omnia Paratus

Sao Loaded Pockets

Currently wearing some converse quantum's with water resistant uppers and Nike inner soles got to say these are super comfy!

[​IMG]

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

9. Clead

Clead Loaded Pockets

Danner Acadia this week. Traveling for blue collar work (warehouse management) and I live in them because I don't check bags whenever possible. They're almost broken in a 7 years old, lol. Super comfortable, supportive, and not too hot for a hybrid boot.

10. callelk

callelk Loaded Pockets

I wear the blackout converse in the summer and ONLY Danner Mountain Lights the rest of the year. My second pair of Danners since 1979 and my "new" (in 1994) ones have had 5 soles locally and 2 rebuilds in Portland. I have a pair that I bought at a going-out-of-business sale in 2005 and one day I may have to take them out of the box to replace my 95's.

11. Sheepdog149

Sheepdog149 Loaded Pockets

[​IMG]
    Frye Logan Captoe's

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

malraux72 and ANJARI like this.
  12. aphex2k

aphex2k Loaded Pockets

They look smart. Kathmandu often seems real expensive though. How much were they? I've just ordered some Under Armour Valsetz boots. Wanted light weight every day boots for work and something pretty breathable as summers on the way. They seem to get mixed reviews. Some seem to last and some seem to fall apart after a few weeks. If they can't cut it in the office and going out to see clients then hello Mr refund!

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

13. aphex2k

aphex2k Loaded Pockets

Other option was some light weight Altama boots. Similar price but the UA just looked a nicer boot. Time will tell!

14. Sheepdog149

[​IMG]
    RRL's today

Collingwood and AlgoOPC like this.
  15. soundlessnut

soundlessnut Loaded Pockets

I agree, Kathmandu can have pretty extreme pricing, they were on sale for just under $200nzd. Not too bad a price for a solid boot

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

16. mike3145

mike3145 Loaded Pockets

I know nothing about the quality Kathmandu boots but 200 NZD is about 150 USD which isn't very much for quality boots, at least here in America. American made Danner and Red Wings probably start around 300 NZD. Now that's full retail, obviously things go on sale.

soundlessnut likes this.
  17. Sheepdog149

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]Breakin' in a new pair of engineer boots today

Collingwood and AlgoOPC like this.
  18. aphex2k

aphex2k Loaded Pockets

Redwings here in Oz are silly prices. Not even funny. Good boot or not, $400+? No thanks!

The UA Valsetz I've ordered from US were 180 but 40 of that was postage.

I'm a huge fan of Hi tec magnum boots. Superbly priced. I have a pair of classic CEN which are probably 20 years old which are my gardening work boots now!

19. dhw46725

dhw46725 Loaded Pockets

Tac 5.11 boots in the summer unless it is raining then I wear Matterhorn 10" waterproof boots with 200 gr thinsulate. The Matterhorn are also my main winter boots.

I've got a bad knee and always wear out the right shoe/boot first and both of these boots last longer than anything else I have worn.
    [​IMG]

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Tapatalk

soundlessnut likes this.
  20. MCPOWoller

MCPOWoller Loaded Pockets

I've got a brand new pair Rocky S2V boots for sale if anyone is interested.