1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Boot knives!

Discussion in 'Knives' started by Chiles, Aug 23, 2013.

1. Chiles

Chiles Loaded Pockets

Anyone here using a boot knife as a primary or backup? If so, what is it?

2. 01bugtruck

01bugtruck Loaded Pockets

more like a shoe knife.. my EDC last option knife. bought it in the early 90's. rides comfortably in my shoelaces.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

SAKplumber, jph0200, warchild and 2 others like this.
  3. vegassprky
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

vegassprky Loaded Circuits

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^lace knife maybe^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

01bugtruck and warchild like this.
  4. KOKUSHI MUSOU

KOKUSHI MUSOU Loaded Pockets

Don't see the point. It's difficult to prove that you don't carry it with the intention of using it as a weapon since most if not all boot knives are marketed as such. It's also difficult to access, since you have to reach down to pull it out and also guide it back in to resheathe it, which is a bit more difficult than removing it from its sheath, making what would normally be a quick cutting task into a cumbersome chore. In cases like this, it might just be more convenient to use your teeth and fingers, which ruins the point of carrying a knife in the first place. As a weapon, most people who get into trouble often will tell you that their belt carry sheath knives, which take about one second to draw (with practice), never get used for that purpose, and if they did use it for that purpose, they'll often tell you that it's happened once or twice in their entire lives, because it takes too long to draw in a real fight, and that's belt carry sheath knives. See where I'm going with this?

Boot knives are just mall ninja toys.

5. warchild
    • Memoria in Aeterna
    • In Omnia Paratus

warchild Eternal Pockets

I wouldn't go packin a knife in my boot especially one with length or a double or even half double edge, it's just trouble. And as above stated by the time you tried to draw that knife you'd just get clubbed or shot to death.

That being said the shoe knife made me think of "Get Smart";)

Xiii likes this.
  6. vegassprky
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

I've got a old USA made Schrade that looks similar to your Gerber.

warchild likes this.
  7. Crg031

Crg031 Loaded Pockets

I find boot knives to be a novelty nowadays. They were only useful in days of trench warfare, and I'm glad we aren't doing that anymore! I completely agree with Musou's post.

warchild likes this.
  8. vegassprky
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

I do have a Gerber Loveless design so called boot knife but double edge knives are illegal to carry here.

warchild likes this.
  9. Slipjoint

Slipjoint Loaded Pockets

I'd say that this is largely, but not entirely true.

The knife as a weapon has really fallen to the wayside in America. Easy access to firearms and strict knife laws have really suppressed the knife as a defensive weapon for the average person. Most stabbings are actually committed with kitchen knives, and fixed blades tend to be pretty rare on the street.

Couple this with the declining popularity of suitable boots and it's clear that the boot knife's heyday is over. But that doesn't mean that a boot knife is completely obsolete, I think it just needs a modern interpretation.

Now I'll grant you that carrying a boot knife for self-defense is problematic. It's much slower to access than a knife on the belt or in a pocket. But if we look at the boot knife as a backup blade (used more for utility than combat), it starts to make more sense... especially if your pants pockets are already overstuffed. :p

Nowadays there are a wide variety of blades that would make excellent boot knives. Cold Steel's Spike series seems to be an ideal choice for example. These blades are slim and sturdy, but easy to conceal. It wouldn't be difficult to stitch a sheath into a boot.

[​IMG]

I've always felt that Mercator's K55 folder would make an outstanding boot knife as well. The K55 (pictured above with an Opinel #9) is super thin, light, and flat and can be easily carried and concealed where a larger, thicker knife wouldn't be comfortable. A Douk-Douk would also do, but it lacks a lock which some people don't care for.

Either way, both the K55 and Douk-Douk are both light enough that they could even be carried in a sock if you didn't have boots handy.:eek:

10. Crg031

Crg031 Loaded Pockets

Slipjoint,

I could see now how one could be used as a backup utility blade. Wouldn't necessarily be my first option, even though I wear boots everyday. But I may try it out just to see for myself. Thanks for the thorough post! :)

11. MedusaOblongata

MedusaOblongata Loaded Pockets

I used to carry a folder clipped inside my boot, but carrying a gun now has allowed me to reduce the number of knives I carry from 4 to 2, and I don't wear knee high boots outside my pants anymore either.

12. Chiles

Chiles Loaded Pockets

Yeah a boot knife for self defense is super impractical. In the time to reach down, draw up the pant leg, and pull out the knife (assuming the sheath doesn't come with it) is time well wasted in which one could have retreated, or avoided making situation escalate. I meant more as having just one for backup. Or like a small fixed blade like an Izula.

13. JPHing

JPHing Loaded Pockets

imo no matter how you look at it boot knives are impractical.
    (for example) If you're working on ladder and need a knife, It's going to be awkward and maybe dangerous trying to pull it from your shoe or boot.

Ditto on carrying in pocket or on belt

warchild likes this.
  14. Chiles

Chiles Loaded Pockets

Fair enough, just got my first pair of pull on boots so I was wondering if this was still a "thing". I tried it one day and also felt it was impractical but figured I'd ask anyway to get some opinions.

jph0200 likes this.
  15. SAKplumber
    • In Omnia Paratus

SAKplumber EDC Junkie!!!!!

As a defensive option I don't see it being anymore impractical that almost any other option. If you wear boots then go for it, if its legal. There are many people out there who EDC a pistol in an ankle holster. Its got to be as difficult, or greater, to access, but its a back up, after all.
    If you can hold your own with a knife, then I don't see it as any different. In fact, if you have a ankle pistol and don't practice, and have never fired it under stress, then it may even be more difficult/dangerous than a blade.

Just my 2ยข

CSM-101, socaldsal, warchild and 4 others like this.
  16. graham_s
    • In Omnia Paratus

graham_s Loaded Pockets

Yes.
    When I'm wearing my Kilt, I've got a Sgian Dhu in my sock.
    It gets used for all sorts of things.
    When I worked offshore I kept a morakniv in my boot, it was a convenient place to keep it when working on the deck.
    Otherwise, no.

SAKplumber and vegassprky like this.
  17. Flash Owl

Flash Owl Loaded Pockets

i only wear boots, besides flip flops of course. so this actually got me thinking.
    a boot knife as a back-up would work just fine i think. also, it will allow carrying a 4-5 inch fixed blade without too much discomfort.
    i live in a warm climate. jackets, and sweatshirts are seldom used here in most months. i also dont wear over-sized clothing. so a knife in my boots wouldnt draw awkward looks because its pretty much out of sight.

a boots knife as a back up in a defensive situation, lets say, getting ambushed and knocked to the ground. drawing your knife while on the ground from your boots might be easier, than drawing it from the side of your waist or pocket.

SAKplumber likes this.
  18. Evil D

Evil D Loaded Pockets

When I was a kid I thought boot knives were the coolest thing ever. Of course, I grew up in the '80s watching movies where you weren't any kind of tough guy or hero if you didn't have a boot knife. When I got old enough I bought this stupid dagger at the flea market and tried to wear it tucked in my army boots. Then I realized you'd end up dead before you got your pants leg up and got it out. It's just not accessible enough. I've even talked to para troopers who all talked about carrying theirs on their ankle and the ones who tried said they were only minutes into deployment before they moved them up to their thigh/hip/vest.

19. Blerv

Blerv Loaded Pockets

I would rather just learn how to kick or knee someone. You would be shocked how much more effective that is (if done right).

SAKplumber likes this.
  20. Evil D

Evil D Loaded Pockets

People these days really underestimate the power of a good shot to the diaphragm. You can really neutralize someone by knocking the wind out of them hard enough, at least enough to get away from the conflict and into safety if needed.

Blerv and warchild like this.