1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Boot knife ?

Discussion in 'Knives' started by Handyman, Nov 4, 2006.

1. Handyman

Handyman Empty Pockets

Does anyone here carry a knife in there boot or strapped to it ? I got to thinking about it after watching a history channel program where a soldier cut off his parachute with a knife he pulled out of his boot . I almost always wear 8" work/hiking boots and thought it might be a good way to carry a knife other than in my pocket or on my belt or just to have an extra knife . If you do or did carry a knife that way , what kind , how much did it cost and where did you get it ? Pictures would also be nice .

2. dinoadventures

dinoadventures Empty Pockets

I can't comfortably carry one on my hiking boots, but if I could it would probably be either a Graham Brothers knife or one of the smaller TOPS like the Scout.

3. laurent

laurent Empty Pockets

I try it for a time, because it was cool (and I was young and idiot), but all I got was bruises and a sweat-attacked blade and leather (since it's on the way of the sweat extraction...). French pilots anckle-carry their survival knife (generally a Camillus), but there is a special pouch on their combopants, so they can grab it easily.

4. Stutoffee

Stutoffee Loaded Pockets

Years ago when I was "young, dumb & full of ****" (to paraphrase "Pointbreak"!) I used to carry a Gerber Mk1 copy in the top of my high-leg combat boots. It wasnt the most practical of field knives, as lets be honest, double-edges arent designed for survival/field use theyre really for stabbing! The other down side was that after wading thru a particularly deep cold stream, the leather sheath went very loose & I had to redo all the stitching (I made a right mess of it, actually)
    I can see a small very flat blade being carryable but it would need to be something like a Russell Sting 1A or Cold Steel Urban Shiv (wish you could still buy those!)

5. Co_Outdoorsman

Co_Outdoorsman Loaded Pockets

I tried it once a long time ago with a small Gerber double edge... Well one night I resheathed it and well can you say Sutures??? Yeah it went through sheath, sock and skin and muscle... was not pretty...

Also being that close to the dirt the sheath filled with dust and detritus... not a great area to carry a knife and not to mention illegal in many places!

6. Lee1959

Lee1959 Empty Pockets

Like most I tried it long ago when I was young and thought it kewl. Then I found out it was one illegal, two uncomfortable, and three much much slower to get out and into action than a simple folder so I stopped. It was a Gerber Mk something, cannot remember but it was the double edged like the others with the clip for the boot on the sheath. There are much better ways of carrying, MUCH...

7. Lunal_Tic

Lunal_Tic Empty Pockets

The CRKT Stiff KISS would seem to be a good candidate, thin profile no leather, you could probably even do better without their sheath but with a simple Kydex one. Of course YMMV.

-LT

8. scríbhneoir
    • Administrator

scríbhneoir Uber Prepared
    Staff Member

Buck Hartsook.

9. webley445

webley445 Loaded Pockets

Wow, I was just thinking a few hours ago about starting this exact thread about boot carry. Guess I'm in tune to the EDCF collective today

Well count me as the minority as I do boot carry. But not in the fashion all the others have tried. I have tried the traditional style of tucking it into the top of the boot, but that is very uncomfortable unless you are using cowboy boots. Yeah, thats the key to making it work, cowboy boot design allows for comfort.

I rotate between a CRKT F4 Carson and a out of production Cold Steel fixed blade called a Hai Hocho, looks like a minature Japanese chef knife. I made a very simple kydex sheath for the F4, but here is the key to my comfort and use.
    First is size, can't be too big or long.
    Second, I lay the knife UNDER the laces on top of the tongue. then you can tuck it back a little so the sheath is tucked at a slight angle between the tongue and cuff at the top of my boot.

I wear black Ridge boots for work and the black of the two knives and sheaths help to conceal it from casual glances/looks. I have it all tucked in so that even when sitting and the cuff of my slacks ride up its still hidden.

Yes drawing will not be lighting fast, but it isn't that slow either. To draw fast takes two hands, one to draw up the pant cuff, the other to draw the blade. With a little practice it can be done one handed. Pull up the cuff to clear well over the handle. Pull BACK on the pant leg to remove slack and help orient it away and behind the knife, basically between the leg and the handle. Then grip and draw.

Between the laces and tongue of the boot is also a nice place to carry other items that are not accessed often.

10. moxie

moxie Empty Pockets

Used to carry a gerber MK I or Guardian on (outside) my combat or jungle

boots. I clip it on the inside side of my left boot (weak side) and tie down the bottom of the sheath around the boot using the plastic clip provided for that purpose on the nylon sheaths. If you encounter slipping or flopping a velcro strap wrapped around you leg works just fine. Elastic too if you can get it right. Leather sheaths aren't much good for this.  The purpose of this knife is last resort if you are forced to the ground. You want the knife on the inside side of your weak side leg so you can access it with either hand (if that makes sense). Strapping it to the outside of either leg makes accessing it difficult with one of your hands. A Guardian tucked in to the small of your back can also be helpful in such a situation. Naturally you have to keep the system clean, like most other self defense systems.

11. scríbhneoir
    • Administrator

scríbhneoir Uber Prepared
    Staff Member

Yep. ;D