1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Boot Knife Help

Discussion in 'Knives' started by Medic715, Mar 15, 2014.

1. Medic715

Medic715 Loaded Pockets

I was recently accepted into my local fire academy as a Paramedic/Firefighter. It came highly recommended by an instructor to think about carrying a boot knife while working in the ambulance. We are in an urban environment and can be at a relatively high risk for being assaulted.

Can anyone recommend a good knife to carry in the boot? I'm thinking fixed blade somewhere around 3-4 inches.

Cobra 6 Actual likes this.
  2. defuse kit

defuse kit Loaded Pockets

I can't really say I agree that a boot knife is the way to go, but if you're set on it, I'd recommend the Cold Steel Counter Tac. Solid, set up for boot carry.

3. Medic715

Medic715 Loaded Pockets

Defuse, what would you recommend if not a boot knife? I'm open to other ideas

4. Doc18

Doc18 Loaded Pockets

Look into getting a brous blades silent soldier line of fixed if you're looking for something fixed that can be boot belt or neck. SOG makes the snarl if you like it but can't afford a ss.

5. saniterra

saniterra Loaded Pockets

I would say take a look at a BRKT Blackwater Boot Knife II. Mucho knife useful far beyond a normal boot knife. Definitely a very sharp hard use knife.

6. Rockwell Torrey

Rockwell Torrey Loaded Pockets

Let me start by saying I try to be as legal as possible in all things at all times. The laws vary widely from location to location. If you guys think England is bad checkout Japan. Everyone should check their local laws and make their own decisions.

I am lucky to live in an area where almost all things are legal. And I like blades. In as many places as possible. If you need a knife for protection have more than one, have several (actually a gun would be better but that is a different thread).

I think the resistance to boot knives is that they are often hard to access and slow to draw. I carry one as a fourth option and for those few times when it is the best first option. A belt knife, on the side or in the small of the back, is my first option most of the time. I carry both.

A knife is a very personal choice. There is no best choice. But many good (and bad) choices. I EDC many blades, no two the same. Visit a shop and get some hands on time. It has been said the best knife is the one you have with you.

Strange thought of the week: A government that robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul. I guess that makes me just a giant Peter.

ManVsLawn likes this.
  7. defuse kit

defuse kit Loaded Pockets

Pepper spray, gun, backboard, axe, pretty much anything to put some distance between you and whoever is trying to do you harm. Plus, knives look really bad in court, regardless of the effectiveness or need of self-defense.

whoozle and Water-Rat like this.
  8. SpyderPrepper

SpyderPrepper Loaded Pockets

I would say a boot knife is a really bad idea. Here's a fun experiment, clip a small flash light to your sock and then have a friend of yours "assault" you by pushing you and trying to tackle you. Then try to get at the thing once you're down. Long story short: carry on your hip. Also, reaching down like that also opens you up for a knee to the face, you don't need to be a black belt to throw a good knee either. Get yourself a rescue knife, like a benchmade triage or something. That way, should you ever need to, you can argue in court that it is necessary for your position. It's not normal for paramedics to be armed on a call.

9. Morgan X

Morgan X Loaded Pockets

I'd suggest the SOG mini pentagon. Great blade, about the perfect size for carry in a boot, and at a great price

10. grayman

grayman Loaded Pockets

I don't get the "boot knife" option, but I find it interesting it was recommended by an instructor. If I had to carry one, I really like the size, shape, and sheath of the ZT 0150.

11. Hangman
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

Hangman Loaded Pockets

I second the knife as a tool. I was a volunteer firefighter/EMT for many years, I had a belt pouch that carried a pen, a knife, flashlight, rescue scissors and even a spring loaded center punch (best tool in the world for breaking windows) No one would ever question you with it on your belt like that, and the knife will come in handy for all kinds of tasks. I'd suggest something like the Rat 1 it is a relatively inexpensive knife that is high quality, and you wouldn't think twice about using it, to say, extricate someone from a car. Just google EMT pouch, lots of options will open up for you, or, you could use it as an excuse to buy a Skinth, some of them would work for this also.

SAKplumber likes this.
  12. docer
    • In Omnia Paratus

docer Loaded Pockets

Ka-Bar tdi carried inside the waistband. Thats what i would suggest of you need something concealed for defense. Its designed to draw super fast and easy.

13. SAKplumber
    • In Omnia Paratus

SAKplumber EDC Junkie!!!!!

14. holygoat

holygoat Loaded Pockets

Clinch Pick if you really want a last ditch defensive option. After that, make your utility knife easy to get to. You'll do best with the knife you use most.

vegassprky likes this.
  15. Medic715

Medic715 Loaded Pockets

Peppery spray and gun are both very much illegal for EMS to carry on duty (but we wish we could). Backboard isn't good in CQB, which most of the houses are for us (row homes). And I don't know too many EMT's and Medics that routinely carry an axe in with them.

Knives may look bad in court however we have another instructor who also teaches self defense for the EMS provider. He also has a background in tactical training, K-9 handling, etc. He is highly regarded in our department and our area as a whole. He swears by carrying at least 4 blades at all times, including boot.

16. Medic715

Medic715 Loaded Pockets

Grayman, He didn't carry an actual boot knife. It was a large folder clipped to his boot, but same concept.

This would be a good time to mention that we will be working in 1 of the poorest cities in America, where crime, drug use, etc. is running wild. Add to this that, according to a recent study, EMS is the 2nd most likely profession to be assaulted on, the 1st being police. We have a very dangerous job with no easy way to defend ourselves. We cannot carry guns, pepper spray, tasers, etc. Technically, our dept. doesn't even want us carrying knives. We all do because we know we will need it at some point in our careers and our supervisors turn a blind eye knowing this.

So my whole philosophy is to carry something that is easily concealed as a last ditch effort should I be stupid enough to not keep my situational awareness up and not leave a way out for myself. not to mention should I get into a brawl, pulling off my waist will be easier for my attacker than my boot.

vegassprky likes this.
  17. Holliday

Holliday Loaded Pockets

You can't carry pepper spray? Are you able to go into more detail why you aren't permitted to carry it?

Holliday

18. Medic715

Medic715 Loaded Pockets

The Dept. Of Health and the regional EMS council won't consent to it. Besides, can you imagine pepper spray in the rear of an ambulance in close quarters? It'd be horrible not to mention difficult to decontaminate everything.

19. Holliday

Holliday Loaded Pockets

I don't want to get too off topic, but I did want to just point out a couple of things.

First,I understand your concern about pepper spray accidentally going off in the ambulance. It can happen in theory and it would be difficult to decontaminate, but the odds of that happening of very, very small. I deal with hundreds, literally, hundreds of units of pepper spray on the daily basis and have been doing this for years. Never,not once has a unit accidentally discharged. Not saying it can't happen. It's just not that likely.

Second, does the Dept. of Health and regional EMS council even need to know you are carrying it? It's legal in PA and totally within your right to carry. Besides, tell me what you think would be a greater legal headache, using the permitted item (in the eyes of the EMS council) a knife to defend yourself, or the prohibited one, the pepper spray. I assure you that when,(not if), you go before a judge regarding any kind of use of a knife in an assault situation, you are going to wish you had used the pepper spray. Not to mention the potential risk of blood-borne infections. Of course, as a last resort, or in a life or death situation, you use whatever is available to you and deal with the rest later.

Obviously, it is ultimately your decision. I just wanted to offer some food for thought. Best of luck with what you decide.

Holliday

20. Jordon Brooker

Jordon Brooker Loaded Pockets

I think it was more if the pepper spray was to be drawn and used inside the back of an ambulance, it would be like sitting in a sealed box full of pepper spray not only for the attacker but also for the ambulance crew.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk