1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

"Boot Cut" cargo pants ?

Discussion in 'EDC Clothing' started by widersacher, Dec 28, 2007.

1. widersacher

widersacher Empty Pockets

Hi,

is there such a thing as tactical "Boot Cut" cargo pants?

That means that the lower/lowest part of the leg is a little wider than above so that it fits nicely over heavy boots. It would also work if it would be adjustable via zipper or else.

I surely prefer the tactical over the fashion manufacturer if possible. But if a fashion firm makes some decent pants with good materials, workmanship and a pocket setup that makes sense I'm interested.

Thank you!

2. jlomein

jlomein Loaded Pockets

Funny, another EDC member and I were just discussing our dislike of 5.11 Tactical Pants tapered legs. I concur and would like to the same pants in a boot cut. The thread is here:

http://edcforums.com/index.php?topic=13368.0

To be honest, I think most tactical manufacturers go with the tapered look because it looks more professional on duty personnel. Boot cut pants can look a little casual/messy and is more prevalent in fashion clothing. I think you're best bet is to check out cargo pants from fashion retailers since most of them are boot cut or straight leg. You're average places like Old Navy, American Eagle, Abercrombie, Hollister, etc, would be good places to check out.

3. widersacher

Does anyone know if there's a fashion firm that has a reputation for the most "professional" fashion cargos?
    That means no stupid pocket setup and patches with funny words on it.

What about the Carhartt fashion line?

4. DB

DB Kilted Moderator

Although not technically cargo pants, I wear Dickies with the interior leg pocket. They don't taper and are more than accommodating for larger boots.

5. dano

dano Empty Pockets

I'd suggest Levi's "Workwear" cargoes. They are pretty roomy, and don't taper at the leg cuff. They also don't have any of the odd trendy stuff: I.E> preworn markings, frayed seams, patches, etc.

Most of the time, they can be found on a sale at one of the many Dept Stores.

The 5.11's taper so they can be bloused easier, I guess.

--dan

6. RacerX

RacerX Loaded Pockets

Carhartt's "boot cut" is quite generous, and their pants last forever.

7. Jambo

Jambo Loaded Pockets

I could do with a few pairs myself, ordered a pair of 5.11 TDU's a while back and when they came down they were practically skin tight over my calves...

:wha:

8. Blackheart

Blackheart Loaded Pockets

Agreed. I wear their cotton duck work pants over Wellington style boots with a wide shank. The cuffs fall nicely over the boots. I'm certain I've seen cargo pants in their lineup, also.

9. jlomein

jlomein Loaded Pockets

I checked out the current product line on the Carhatt website, and I could only find cargo pants in a Dungaree cut, whatever that is.

That I understand. TDU's are meant for duty wear so having them tapered for a neat look or blousing. However their Tactical pants seem to be aimed at regular casual wear, and blousing isn't exactly civilian looking, which makes me wonder why they are so tapered.

10. Blackheart

When I said I wore their work pants, I should have said work dungarees. While the term just means that they're made of heavy cotton fabric, the legs on Carhartt work pants are pretty roomy and easily fit over a boot. They don't use the term "boot cut" because they don't taper to folllow the leg and then flair back out again at boot height like a classic pair of Levi's or Lee jeans would.

I'm would think that their cargo pants would have the same cut as their work pants, but I'm not absolutely certain as I've never tried them. Maybe you could give their customer service number a ring and see what they have to say.

There's also the Woolrich "Elite" line that's been discussed in a few threads here. Try searching the forum for "Woolrich".

11. widersacher

To bring in the outdoor firms like Fjällräven, The North Face etc. - do you know some of them using boot cut or maybe a zipper that you could open to widen the area?

12. Blackheart

Let's try to narrow this down a bit... Are you looking for pants you can wear everyday? Or, are you looking for pants you can wear on those occasional assaults on Denali?

13. widersacher

I want to be ready every day for any assault. ;)
    No seriously - I'm looking for the pair of EveryDayTrousers :lolhammer: that I'm perfectly satisfied with because of pocket setup, materials AND aesthetics.
    Sadly I haven't found it yet.

14. disduster

disduster Empty Pockets

riggs ripstop ranger pants by wrangler, can't go wrong lots of pockets, cut for boots and abuse, find em at cabelas.com

15. rooks

rooks Empty Pockets

Whilst they might not technically be called a 'boot cut', I can easily put on/take off my TAD Force 10 Cargoes with my boots still on (Oakleys & Bates M6). Something I could never do with standard BDU's.

16. jlomein

jlomein Loaded Pockets

Just FYI www.511tactical.com is having a closeout on their Flash Pant in Khaki or OD Green ($39.99 closeout, $89.99 reg). It is the same as the 5.11 Tactical Pant in every way except for being made of 8.5oz fire resistant Pr-x3 canvas material, has a melamine waist button, adds a back wallet pocket, and a WIDER LEG OPENING. O0

This is the way I wish they would make their standard Tactical Pant. The only thing that stopped me from buying the Flash Pant before was the price. I hope the fire resistant material is as comfortable as the cotton canvas.

17. jlomein

jlomein Loaded Pockets

I received my 5.11 Flash Pants in OD Green and they are fantastic, much better than the standard 5.11 Tactical pants. I noticed some more differing features, so I'll list them all here:

-8.5oz fire resistant Pr-x3 canvas material
    -melamine waist button instead of snap button
    -back horizontal slit wallet pockets in addition to the slash pockets
    -more of a straight leg cut instead of heavily tapered look
    -no pleats on the front waist/groin area (yay!)
    -tuxedo waist elastic system like TDU pants

Personally I absolutely love these pants. The material is just as comfortable as the cotton canvas version. I'm buying a pair in khaki now to replace my khaki Tactical pants. When the Flash pants and Tactical pants are the same price, there is no doubt in my mind which is better.

18. Pantex

Pantex Empty Pockets

Carhartt Carpenter Pants are awesome. Left ruler pocket holds a spare mag for my pistol, hammer loop is a great place to anchor a dummy cord, right side thigh pocket is perfect for cell phone. Good quality and really nice, comfortable, wear and tear on par with military BDU's per my experience. 34$ a pair MSRP.

Great alternative to "tactical" wear.

19. NSaglibene

NSaglibene Empty Pockets

I was also thinking the same thing, the tactial pants taper way too much. The TAD legionaries fit a little better but still not cut exactly perfect. I have found some generic Cargos in black and green that have a more stlyish fit and they work well enough, but the best was a pair of denim cargos from Guess I had a while ago. They were a boot cut cargo pants with d rings on the front belt loops and no funny rips or patches. I wore these pants so much the denim was disintegrating, I had them restored for 100$ and wore them for another two years and I destroyed that, I still have them but they are so thread worn I dont know what to do, best pants I ever had.

20. MikeDub

MikeDub Loaded Pockets

+1 for Dickies! Fit very well over my Doc Martens, too.