1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Books: How much is too much?

Discussion in 'Other Every Day Carry Items' started by Phosphene, Jun 13, 2013.

1. kd7dvd
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

kd7dvd EDC Junkie!!!!!

I'm happy to use a Kindle for recreational reading. But if I'm buying a reference book or something I expect to read more than once and pass down to later generations, then paper is king.

(Well, actually, clay tablets are king, but can you see the PocketRef on clay tablets?)

ProjeKtWEREWOLF likes this.
  2. mta5888

mta5888 Loaded Pockets

Yeah I'm the same way. Pocket Ref= awesome!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

3. grayman

grayman Loaded Pockets

I think the consensus is a tablet or e-reader for your easy reading material, and paperback or hardback for your reference materials.

nightowl and kd7dvd like this.
  4. Waterproof Biscuit

Waterproof Biscuit Loaded Pockets

i just read magazines when i fly. fold one in half, stuff it in my back pocket--perfectly accessible for all those brief in-between waiting moments and no stress about buggering up my nice books.those get carefully packed up and stay packed until i'm at my destination.

5. RAM.45

RAM.45 Loaded Pockets

You can never have enough books

ProjeKtWEREWOLF likes this.
  6. BklynBoy

BklynBoy Loaded Pockets

I love books and have thousands of them, but especially when not at home read only e books now. The only things I have bought on paper in the past couple of years are antiques, things that are not available in ebook format, a couple of specialty law books and a coffee table book. The great thing about the kindle is that you can also have the same books on your phone, computer or iPad. For sheer readability, I prefer the Kindle Paperwhite. I also find myself reading from my iPhone if I am standing in line at the airport or such. It is great to move from one device to the other and have the page sync to where you last left it. Also, Amazon Prime is a great deal. Free two day shipping, tens of thousands of free tv shows and movies and last week they had more than 350,000 free books. You can also borrow ebooks for your Kindle from the public library

7. thatotherguy

thatotherguy EDC Junkie!!!!!

I find that I'm going back and reading the books that I bought before I had a kindle and just never read. Right now, or example, I'm working on Shelley's "Frankenstein" and my Kindle Fire is dead. I doth believe that I shall remedy the dead kindle problem today, though, because I want to find out if there are any good free books right now (I'm afraid I missed the Ian Fleming free promo though)

8. VKX

VKX Loaded Pockets

If weight > iPad and it's available on iPad then it's too much.
    OR
    If cost > iPad+cost to get on iPad then it's too much.

I am not a student, but having seen people with entire libraries in iPads (and I'm sure other similar devices, I think they're just PDF files...) I feel the world has come forward in a big way from back when I had to carry around textbooks and pass by lockers to swap them out.

9. Gollum24601

Gollum24601 Loaded Pockets

I think every text book should be made available as an eBook. and at about half the price if not more reduced since they don't have to do anything with it. I can only fathom how nice it would be to go to high school or college with all of your books on a tablet or Kindle. I mean a backpack with a couple of pencils couple notepads and a tablet would be freakin sweet for students.

10. Rockwell Torrey

Rockwell Torrey Loaded Pockets

I carry more than 1000 at the moment, but they're all on a kindle that weighs but a few ounces. Got a love a kindle.

Rock

Last edited by Rockwell Torrey, Jul 21, 2013
  11. kertap75

kertap75 EDC Junkie!!!!!

The only reason I might disagree with you is IPads, and other computer screens are not ideal for reading. That's why i'm not a fan of my wife's nook tablet. For doing lots of reading eink display is the way to go, and they are way cheaper now then they were even a few years ago. Its hard to believe that I spent $250 on my first gen nook!
    Remember, big brother is watching

12. Stonerman33
    • In Omnia Paratus

Stonerman33 Loaded Pockets

Not to mention battery life. I charge my Kindle once a month or so. I do read on my regular tablets from time to time, but for any extended reading, I much prefer the eink

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

kertap75 likes this.
  13. Jack_Wood

Jack_Wood Loaded Pockets

Aside from text books I never regularly carried more than two books in my bag: one non-fiction and one fiction. In past days, I'd always have at least one on me. In the present, however, more often than not one or both is absent, and I'm reading on the kindle app on my phone.

14. MrInfo

MrInfo Loaded Pockets

I carry one or two real books and 1 or 2 textbooks for school. The rest of my books are on my iPad. I use the Kindle app so if I ever get a Kindle I would be able to keep my book collection. On the days when I don't bring my iPad, I use a app on my Chromebook to read my Kindle books.

15. Swe_Nurse

Swe_Nurse Loaded Pockets

I usually only carry one book at most, to read on the bus/train or while waiting, right now Carl Sagans non-fiction masterpiece The Demon-haunted World: Science As A Candle In The Dark. Although I'm a student I rarely lug around my text books, it's simply not necessary in my case except when doing group assignments. In all other cases I read them at home. Which is good as books on anatomy, physiology, microbiology and ethics isn't exactly light and nimble.

Also I have an entire library on my phone, mostly fiction classics such as Doyle or philosophy books and essays as well as scientific articles.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

16. GatorMedic

GatorMedic Loaded Pockets

Leisure reading: Generally just one. Exceptions are I might bring two if I'm almost finished with the first book and/or if I will be traveling for an extended period of time in which I think I'll have time to read more than one.

School reading: As many as required or needed.

I've never read an e-book before. I've been intrigued but wary of that trend. First of all, the lower cost argument does not apply to me as at least half the time I can find a very good used copy of a book for less than the kindle price. Adding in the cost of the Kindle device itself and it adds up to be quite a bit more expensive overall for me. Secondly, I love the look/feel/smell of a paper book. The tactile experience and rituals can be just as fulfilling as the content of a book. Finally, I'm not much of a conspiracy theorist in general, but about the e-book trend I readily admit I am one. If/when books are converted almost entirely to e-book medium in place of paper versions, price fixing will be easy. There's no second hand/used markets to help cost-conscience buyers. And the biggest scare is that with a few swipes of the keyboard, books can be completely destroyed. It's not really feasible to go house to house burning everyone's books, but if everyone's books are conveniently controlled by computers, books can much more easily be erased. Furthermore, changing technology and changing companies can negatively impact your book collection and make you either lose or have to re-buy the same books over again.

Having said all that, I'm yet again considering buying a Kindle. Space is the issue with me. I have too many books and move way to frequently. When you move a lot, the lesser the amount of stuff the better it is. While I've attempted to solve this predicament this year by using the library often instead of buying books, not everything I want to read is available at my libraries. A Kindle would be a nice supplemental option in lieu of books the library doesn't have. However, I'm still debating whether the cost is worth it. I just downloaded the Kindle app on my iPhone and bought a book as a test to get a feel for e-books. If it goes well, then I might ask for a Kindle Paperwhite for Christmas.