1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

boo... I broke my gerber today...

Discussion in 'MultiTools and Other Pocket Tools' started by ousanas, Apr 24, 2009.

1. ousanas

ousanas Loaded Pockets

SO I have an early 600 pro scout (or the version before that, but it's basically the same)... that I have had since the late 90's sometime. I use it EVERY day at work (cable installer). Today I was using it outside, then came inside to finsih the job and noticed it didn't look right, the darn c clip popped off, and the button for the pliers release popped off (along with the spring) somewhere.. I found the button and the c clip, although it's pretty bent. Oh well I'll call Gerber in the morning and see if they will send me parts free or what. This great tool has lasted me a decade at least (and somewhere I lost a bluntnose version), no problems. the bits from the tool kit have long since disappeared except for the adapter, so I just use other bits. the cutters are pretty beat up from cutting heavier coax center conductor, the blade has just been ABUSED, cutting drywall, plastic electric boxes, you name it. It sharpens up to a decent edge fairly quickly.

Oh well, got a skeletool cx on the way to use til I get the gerber fixed, or just when I want something different. Still love my Gerber!!!!

2. bartsdad

bartsdad Loaded Pockets

Being in the tech field, I'm surprised you aren't using one of these..
    They are SOG tools basically specialized for the tech/telecom industry. Just an FYI.

3. ousanas

ousanas Loaded Pockets

nice, might have to look into that a bit... I like the easy one hand opening of teh gerber when I'm up my ladder, holding onto cable, belted off to the strand in 30 mile an hour winds tho' :)

4. jzmtl

jzmtl Loaded Pockets

Those powerplay tools are pretty :censored: expensive.

Gerber may not send you the parts (most companies don't), but if you send them the tool they'll fix it for sure.

5. tmedina

tmedina EDC Junkie!!!!!

I have to admit, I'm less than thrilled with the SOG design on the covers.

I had to clamp down on a SOG multi-tool to hold a bolt in place for tightening and my hand slid forward and knocked the covers right off.

I think I'm going to have to trade my SOG out for something else.

-Trevor

6. 2506sniper

2506sniper Loaded Pockets

The Old Gerbers are definately better than the new ones. I have a New Diesel and it's total junk! I bent the whole plier head just cutting through one strand of wire on chain link fence. now the pliers don't completely close and have about a 1/8" gap between the jaws. I'll never buy another gerber MT again!

7. jzmtl

jzmtl Loaded Pockets

Chain link fence is too thick for any multi, gerber or not, not really gerber's fault when you abuse your tools.

8. ousanas

ousanas Loaded Pockets

yay, parts are on the way to fix the old girl, and I just got my skeletool CX, so that will work for a few days. It's VERY nice piece of kit tho', I don't want to beat the hell out of it like I do my gerber :)

9. 2506sniper

2506sniper Loaded Pockets

I can cut chainlink fencing all day long with my wave. I can even cut 1/8"welding rods and steel banding with no problem. I can do thevsame with my old gerber mp400. I used to swear by gerber tools. Butthe quality has deterioriated to bargain bin fodder on par with the rest of the junk made in china for $.03 a day labor. This of course is just my opinion after carrying multitools everyday for the past 10 years.

10. Ratslash7

Ratslash7 Empty Pockets

I've cut chain link fence with my Classic Wave and my Surge with no problem. When I've tried to cut wire that is too thick or hard , it just wont cut. The tool doesn't break.

Dave

11. Toolboy

Toolboy Empty Pockets

I totally snapped the jaws off my Gerber multi twisting a seat latch on an airplane. The latch is actually made to twist by hand, it's just hard to grab onto so it's not like I was really torqueing it. I still have the tool but haven't wanted to go through the hassle of griping to gerber about something that probably shouldn't have happened in the first place.

12. HappyStuffing

HappyStuffing Loaded Pockets

Wait wait . . you were able to get the Gerber onto a plane!? You mean you brought a file, screw drivers, can opener, knife, pliers, and metal onto the plane? What's next? Water bottles.. anarchy!

13. vegassprky
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

vegassprky Loaded Circuits

Check the date that was before 9/11! WHOOPS!!!

14. JAfromMn

JAfromMn Banned

The last Gerber tool I bought was a suspension the pliers broke the next day when I griped down hard on a bolt. I brought the broken tool back to wally world and add some cash I got the leatherman wave I still use 5 years now.

I will never buy a gerber tool again.

15. HappyStuffing

lol! Oops my bad. I never even looked at the date. Still funny though.

16. endless.ender

endless.ender Loaded Pockets

Um 9/11 was in 2001....his post was 2009 lol

17. TCC

TCC Loaded Pockets

This thread just keeps wanting to come back, huh? Lol. On topic though, my Gerber MP 600 has never gave me any problems.

18. 2die4

2die4 Loaded Pockets

I dislike Gerbers. I went back to my leatherman

19. HappyStuffing

I suppose I'm in the minority around here. I still love my Gerber. The MP400 BlackOxide in particular. I just love the way it looks and the rattling sound it makes. It has a huge fiddle factor. Even comes in handy while fixing things!

Actually, I have both Leatherman and Gerber's. Both are pretty awesome in my opinion.

Leatherman being a bit faster on warrantee service, however. Though both companies seem to be willing to fix/replace anything you send them that remotely resembles their tool in it's past life.

That alone makes both companies a winner in my book. :thumbsup: