1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Boker Urban Survival review

Discussion in 'Gear Reviews' started by DB, Mar 9, 2009.

1. Jedi Knife

Jedi Knife Loaded Pockets

Well, I just received the knife today. It is :censored: near perfect, but there is one huge dealbreaker for me. As much as I want to like this knife, it is chisel ground. I've never had a chisel ground knife that I liked. :censored: it. Everything else about this knife is perfect, IMO. Why Boker, WHY?!

2. Goliath

Goliath Loaded Pockets

That sucks indeed. Hard to resharpen. Can't you reshape it?

3. Sharpy_swe

Sharpy_swe Loaded Pockets

Nice review, thanks :)

One more ''must have'' knife :evilgrin:

4. Jedi Knife

I'm not even going to try- there is not a lot of blade there to begin with, although it would be enough if it were ground properly to begin with. I'm afraid re-profiling the edge would remove too much steel for my liking. As much as I hate to, I'm going to return it.

5. DB

DB Kilted Moderator

I can't say I've ever really had a problem with the chisel ground blades that I have. I just make sure to use it for the type of work they were meant for. BTW, still using my BUS at work. This thing slices through blister packs like butter!

6. Jedi Knife

I really like the design and form factor of this knife, and for the folks who don't mind the chisel grind, I think it would make a great EDC. Boker is turning out to be a truly innovative knife company!

7. archer-ca

archer-ca Loaded Pockets

Well, I received my two Urban Survivalist and am pretty 'ok' overall with the exception of the dull chisel grind blade. The tip is sharp and cuts well enuff like an Exacto knife. But it's far from sharp edge wise and for that I am somewhat disappointed. Even most cheapie knives come out of the box hair shaving sharp for the first few cuts. The Boker US I got were not. :slap:

I'll see what I can do to sharp the edge out. I might even venture to grind it out on both sides. :winkwink:

I do like the shape and feel of the little knife, tho. And the discreet little "Pen-Clickie" end that it comes with. Quite clever.

Overall finish is very good and no blade play. A firm detent ball keeps the blade secure. Hate to accidentally open this little sucker in my pant pocket! :eek:

Off to find my sharpening stone....

Norman

p.s. Props to JS Burly for shipping these knives out so quick!! Thank you Sir!!

8. adorable_harree

adorable_harree Empty Pockets

Funny...It sorta reminds me of the Executive Edge from the late 80's. Jerry Ahern liked those if I remember correctly.

Sorta reminded me folks okay...especially the pen in the pocket disguise.

9. messerjocke2000

messerjocke2000 Loaded Pockets

I handled them at IWA and wasn´t really all that impressed. Yes, it is small. And sharp.

But i can´t really see a use for this design. For exacto knife jobs i have, well an exacto knife. And for self defense? Really? It´s a bit small, no?

I mean yeah, it´s better than nothing. But not much. I´d rather have a sharpie or a true knife,even a small one like the subcoms.

Plus, it´s a one hand opening knife, so i can´t carry it without legal reason in germany anyway. Thats not the knifes fault of course, just one more reason for me not to buy it.

Kilian

10. jlfletcher83

jlfletcher83 Empty Pockets

They are definitely nice looking knives and would be very discreet, but with the chisel grind and recurve they are not for me. Spear point and dual grinds I would be all over it.

11. ronnin6

ronnin6 Loaded Pockets

2 points folks> point one, one of the top selling knifemakers in the world is Ernie Emerson, and he is well known for his chisel ground knives> Point 2 billy the kid killed his first man with a 1/2 inch stub of a pen knife (teach you to laugh at my small blades :mad:)

12. Monocrom

Monocrom Loaded Pockets

Nice review. :)

I'm curious... Are the words "Urban Survival" printed anywhere on the knife?

13. tet6t8

tet6t8 Empty Pockets

Only writing on it is440c and Boker. The clickiy thing for the end I think is supposed to be a glass braker.
    A nice piece for light duty around the office ala exato knife type work. Looks like a pen in the pocket. A nice gadget.
    Mine is not as sharp as it could be. Very fine point to the blade.

14. Monocrom

Monocrom Loaded Pockets

Thanks for letting me know. I appreciate it. :)

15. Sharpmint

Sharpmint Empty Pockets

Where did you take those pictures!? That pure white background is absolutely perfect as a backdrop...

16. newtothis

newtothis Loaded Pockets

I got one the other day. It is shorter than I thought if it was as long as a pen than it could be used as a Kubaton when closed and the way it is shaped it would be a great kubaton. The blade is not easily opened. It is possible to open one handed but I think if things get bad and you pull this knife out you might not get it opened in time. One big point is, I have had the knife a week and played with it for hours and I have not cut myself so how good could it really be.

I like many things about the knife but just a few small changes would make this a great knife. So Boker shoot me an e-mail and let’s make this knife great.

17. NeonLights

NeonLights Loaded Pockets

Thanks for the review. I've been wanting a knife like this for awhile, I love the form factor, but like a few others, the chisel grind and blade shape turn me off. I may still pick one up if I can find one cheap enough,

18. Wooden Foot

Wooden Foot Empty Pockets

Nice review of a cool tool. BTW I have the same Zippo.

19. Hoshnasi

Hoshnasi Empty Pockets

My two issues with the knife were 1. cutting edge is DULL! Its very pointy, but the blade itself is dull (at least on mine). Not a major issue since I think trying to slash with this thing is a waste. Second, opening one handed for me is tough, I believe the issue is that the stud is to close (in vertical line) to the pivot point, making the initial "break-free" difficult.

Cool knife though, its small fits in the pocket.