1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Boker Urban Survival review

Discussion in 'Gear Reviews' started by DB, Mar 9, 2009.

1. DB

DB Kilted Moderator

Just got this today from JS Burly's. Not more than two minutes after opening it, I put it to work opening other goodies that I got the same day to get a good idea of what it's capable of.

First impression from initially handling the knife; it's much smaller than I initially thought it would be, but feels very solid and has a "heft" to it for being so small and slender. Opening it one handed was a bit tricky, as the slender size made it a bit harder to have a good hold and open it at the same time. Blade is chisel ground and has a solid lock up with a liner lock. Pocket clip feels like it holds well, and it comes with an additional screw on end to make it look more like a pen. Closed length is approx. 4 inches, blade length is approx. 1.5 inches , and OAL is 5.75 inches.

[img width=640 height=426]http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e231/piekkola/EDC/urban1.jpg[/img]

[img width=640 height=426]http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e231/piekkola/EDC/urban2.jpg[/img]

To give you an idea of the size, here it is next to a Fischer Space pen and a standard Sharpie marker.

[img width=640 height=426]http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e231/piekkola/EDC/urban3.jpg[/img]

I used it to open a blister package to see how well the unique blade functioned. I used the tip to score the plastic package to start an opening. It worked much like an exacto blade or a scalpel. Once the opening was started, I used the recurve portion of the blade to cut along the edge of the package by pulling it along. It kept a nice clean straight cut all around the package and made short work of the plastic.

[img width=640 height=426]http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e231/piekkola/EDC/urban4.jpg[/img]

[img width=640 height=426]http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e231/piekkola/EDC/urban5.jpg[/img]

Overall impression, I like this unique knife. I'm not sure about the self defense applications, but the utility of this knife will fill a great spot for my EDC, especially at work where I need to open various types of packages or need a precise cutting tool where a general purpose pocket knife would only do a mediocre job.

2. Guarddog
    • In Omnia Paratus

Guarddog EDC Junkie !!!!!

O0 Thanks for sharing!

3. carrot

carrot Loaded Pockets

Nice review! Can we see pictures of the clip-side?

4. DB

DB Kilted Moderator

Sure! (I knew I forgot something)... ;)

[img width=640 height=426]http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e231/piekkola/EDC/urban6.jpg[/img]

[img width=640 height=426]http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e231/piekkola/EDC/urban7.jpg[/img]

5. zshiner

zshiner Loaded Pockets

Great Review - thx KM

6. DemskeetSkeet

DemskeetSkeet Loaded Pockets

Hard to tell from the clip picture, is it a deep set clip? Could you clip it inside one of your pockets and snap a photo that way? like my stuff concealed or in this case deep enough so that it does in fact look like a pen.

Nice review, looks very handy for opening those pesky phard plastic cases.

Take care
    -Matt

7. SoloTwo

SoloTwo Empty Pockets

Haha I had no idea what to expect after seeing the only picture from the original thread, thought it was kinda ugly and didn't realize the size of it. Well, now, I need one. Looks like a great utility blade, not sure where it would fall into my EDC though.

8. DB

DB Kilted Moderator

Great idea! Yes, it does have a deep set clip and appears to be a pen. In fact, it sits deeper than the pen you see in my lower pocket.

[img width=426 height=640]http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e231/piekkola/EDC/urban8.jpg[/img]

9. carrot

carrot Loaded Pockets

Looks awesome, I'm going to have to pick one up soon! I have no idea what I'll use it for either but it's too cool not to have.

10. bartsdad

bartsdad Loaded Pockets

How does this critter open up? Small notch for a finger nail?

I think it would be great to carry at work if it was easy to open 1 handed.

11. phoenix.stu

phoenix.stu Loaded Pockets

What a great write up DB. Thanks for sharing. :D

12. FeebleOldMan

FeebleOldMan Loaded Pockets

Is it possible to do the "spyder-drop" one-handed opening?

13. DB

DB Kilted Moderator

There is a small thumb stud on each side of the blade. I'm going to play around with the tension to see if it's adjustable or not. That may make it open easier. Otherwise, the thumbs studs are removable. A larger stud would definitely allow it to open easier.

No, not with this design; the frame prevents this from working properly because of where the pivot point is. It only opens about 3/4 of the way before it catches against your fingers.

14. Lorenzo

Lorenzo Loaded Pockets

Ah, so the thumbstuds are ambidexterous! Thanks for the bit of info... also, the photos in hand give a good sense of proportion.
    :censored:, and I thought it was larger, large enough for kubotan use.
    How exactly is the "additional screw on end to make it look more like a pen" affixed? Is there a threaded hole in the handle? A threaded pin sticiking out? Does it appear sturdy?
    I'm thinking of maybe 1 - 1 1/2 inches of solid steel or brass with a lanyard hole and a conical striker end to lenghten the handle.

15. DemskeetSkeet

:shocked:

Thank you very much!!

16. johnnywest

johnnywest Loaded Pockets

:thumbsdown: I don't know. I like the size, but not really the form factor,

17. DemskeetSkeet

I kind of agree with you but the fact that it is made to look like a pen will keep it very discrete.

18. DB

DB Kilted Moderator

Used this a bit at work today. Worked great for opening the various boxes that came in from UPS. Didn't have to worry about slicing too deep with it. I also took the job of having to cut a clean edge around a photo mounted onto foam core that was too large for the picture. Did an excellent job of cutting through cleanly without leaving a ragged or rough edge on the foam core.

19. DemskeetSkeet

Impressive! Keep the updates coming!

20. Jedi Knife

Jedi Knife Loaded Pockets

I think the form factor of this knife is superb. I think most clothing and bags, etc. have pockets designed to accommodate writing implements; since the dimensions of this knife are similar to a writing implement, it will be that much easier for me to carry. Also, I like the idea of using this as a non-lethal means of defense, if necessary, and this knife should be quite admirable in that respect, i.e. as an impact device.