1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Boker Trance initial impressions

Discussion in 'Gear Reviews' started by mr.hauser, May 18, 2007.

1. mr.hauser

mr.hauser Loaded Pockets

Just got this in the mail 5 minutes ago and thought i'd post up some feelings about it.

Fit and finish: Excellent - everything fits together extremely well. near the pivot on the metal side there is about a 1/2 mm x 2 mm dent/ scratch, but it is barely noticable.

Lockup: Locks up solid with no blade play. easy to open and close. Some difficulty getting used to the flipper which is not assisted, so it takes quite a bit of wrist flick at this stage, might change as it breaks in.

The blade Came shaving sharp. Bought this thinking to grind off the flipper to make it a folding kitchen knife. Still might do that, depending on how much fun i have with the flipper.

The clip: nicely rounded, but find it a bit too stiff. Comes tip up, but can be switched to tip down. Righties only. I find the thumbstud on the clip side interferes with clipping the pocket. Quite an annoyance after the hangupless spydie hole ive gotten used to.

Handle great ergonomics, great in nearly any grip. One of my biggest criticisms of my delica was how narrow the handle was, making it somewhat uncomfortable for hammer grip (no thumb on top) I'm not a huge fan of jumping/ texturing on a knife, since I dont have any "retention issues" and i'd rather have a comfortable knife that wont give me blisters. However the jimping is not overly aggressive and is (thankfully) only on the thumb ramp and near the index finger.

Criticisms: If it stands up to my daily use will be another story, as I have reverted back to SAK's and slipjoints for a few weeks now since I sold off all my locking folders with clips. I prize ease of carry very highly, and that usually for me means in the pocket and small. The trance is relatively wide, with a few EDC bugs that need some tweaking to fit my preferences (clip and thumbstud) I may ditch the clip or try to ease it up, and grind off some of the thumbstud to go in the pocket easier.

Overall impressions: I can't believe I got this for $28.50 shipped. It is a fantastic value for a high qualilty production knife that could easily have a $50+ price tag. Everything is well though out and well executed. I like the handle and blade shape a lot.

2. deeker

deeker Loaded Pockets

My Trance has displaced everything else for the most part since I received it. I just recently saw the pictures of a black bladed version with partial serrations, too. That caught my attention!!

This is an excellent little knife, and as stated - for the price it is an awesome deal.

Hope you can make all of the little alterations necessary to keep it in your pocket. And the flipper / pivot does get better with a bit of break-in time.

3. mr.hauser

mr.hauser Loaded Pockets

more thoughts:

Loosened up the clip with bending it out a few times beyond its normal range. Now it is medium tight which is where I like it.

Tried changing it to tip down and found a couple things I didn't like about the process:

1.) one of the screws for the clip is also for the handle construction, meaning it has to be left behind and results in one screw at the bottom looking out of place (unlike the other flush ones) which also leaves the clip with only 2 screws for the top.

2.) the 3rd screw for the handle needs 2 torx screwdrivers or it can spin in place (i dont have 2, so i just used some needlenose pliers with masking tape on them and gripped on the spacer)

one thing I liked about the delica4 was how easy it was to change around the clip and completely disassemble with only 1 torx screwdriver (2 bits) But i suppose that increases machining costs. Anyways, it is back to normal with tip up.

4. mr.hauser

mr.hauser Loaded Pockets

continuing experience.

flipping is getting easier, getting used to it in the pocket. Steel seems pretty soft to me. Im seeing some pretty significant blunting from cutting into cardboard.

5. luigi

luigi Loaded Pockets

Thanks for the very nice review and follow up impressions. Are you sure the cardboard is damaging the steel? The trance is Aus-8 I think so in theory cardboard can't really do anything to the blade can you post pics?

Luigi

6. mr.hauser

mr.hauser Loaded Pockets

I have since started to sharpen it a fiar bit to remove some metal, using the brown rods at 30 degrees on the sharpmaker. This seems to have improved the edge holding.

I was seeing blunting after about 4 3 inch cuts into cardboard before. Now after about 20 cuts it is not really blunted as before, but doesnt push cut paper.

I compared it to my EDC victorinox soldier and I would say that they seem to have about the same edge holding right now. Which is perfectly acceptable, though not amazing.