1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Boker subcom overhyped ?

Discussion in 'Knives' started by sbillard, Jan 14, 2010.

1. sbillard

sbillard Loaded Pockets

Hi,

Lot of people here and on other places seem to praise the Subcom.

I received it as a gift for Christmas, and if I think it is a good looking little knife, I got somewhat mixed feelings about its value and the hype around this knife : the handle is not comfortable, due to the "grips" : there are serration everywhere : back, top and bottom of the handle. I can't imagine using the knife for a long period or for medium to heavy duty, as I would probably develop blisters. Also the framelock is very hard to unlock in my opinion, and not very accessible.

I am the only one to think that way ?

In the category of little flat knives I think KISS, and Flatbyrd for example have better ergonomy.

2. Boy SureFire

Boy SureFire May The Bridges I Burn Light The Way

I love my boker, but I agree that the lock is hard to manipulate.

3. Claren

Claren Loaded Pockets

I agree the knife does not have the best ergonomics. White-knuckling it reveals several hotspots almost immediately. My question for you is- Why would you be using a knife that size for "medium to heavy" use? In all but the most knife-restrictive municipalities, exceptions are made for knife-use related to employment or camping/hobbies, which should cover most activity beyond light use.

I do agree that the lock is hard to disengage. I had sore hands the first week I owned mine. It will get better with use. The knife loosens up and your technique gets better. In the meantime, you can get a pencil and "color" the part of the lock that engages the blade; graphite is an excellent lubricant.

4. deeker

deeker Loaded Pockets

I wouldn't consider the little biscuit a 'hard use' knife at all.
    The things it does have going for it is:
    a) small size - to fit just about anywhere, be easily carried and not alarm those that are nervous with small blades around
    b) decent blade size for a small package and a good amount of cutting edge
    c) a solid grip for being such a short handle, due in part to the bumps all around the edges

Over-hyped? I'm not sure. It does seem to suit the needs of an awful lot of people. It won't be to everyone's liking, to be sure. Very few things are. When you find the one that is right, buy two of them!!

5. jlomein

jlomein Loaded Pockets

I agree with all the responses. The Subcom has its negatives, the two worst for me being the hard to manipulate lock and the thumbstubs obstructing the knife from easily slipping in and out of pockets when the clip is used. That said, the plus side for the Subcom is how much control it gives you compared to knives of similar blade and handle length.

6. jujigatame

jujigatame Loaded Pockets

It's easy enough to file down a corner on the thumbstuds and eliminate snagging on pockets. I did it with mine. Still leaves you plenty of real estate to manipulate the blade open.

7. Bob Lindell

Bob Lindell Loaded Pockets

The fixed-blade version is a wonderful knife. Replacing the scale also helps the folder feel better in the hand. For size, cutting ability & price I think it strikes a pretty good balance. It's a money clip that unfolds to provide a working blade - and I think it succeeds as such. YMMV.

8. Joe Talmadge

Joe Talmadge Loaded Pockets

It's a great little knife that gives you tons of control and security. Yes, it has its downsides, all pointed out here: the lock is a bit inconvenient, the thumb studs stick out a little, and the handle is uncomfortable if you take a super firm grip. That said, IMO upsides well outweigh the downsides.

9. P35

P35 Loaded Pockets

:iagree: small, light, sharp, inexpensive for what it is , a great knife

10. rioredgt

rioredgt Loaded Pockets

The Subcom fits nicely in the watch pocket of my jeans.

11. Boy SureFire

I like the warcom since it looks a bit edger (pun intended) then the rest...

12. qharjo

qharjo Empty Pockets

I gotta say...I'm not sure under what circumstances you'd *need* to white-knuckle a Subcom. The thing has so much grip thanks to all the jimping and the deep finger choil that a medium grip has always kept the knife well in control for me. I pretty much always use mine in a saber grip...might make a difference.

13. Joe Talmadge

Any time you're cutting through something very stiff, you might have to exert enough pressure to start to feel the handle. I've done it a few times with my Wharcom, most recently when I was cutting up some very thick cardboard. No knife zips through that stuff, and I had to get a firm grip on the handle to exert enough pressure. It hurt.

14. Boy SureFire

:iagree: cutting some automatic watering system line was not a light task, and did require some "white-knuckle" effort.

15. ddashner

ddashner Loaded Pockets

That's odd. I have a Rescom, and I love the way it fits my hand. Maybe it is because it hasn't really seen too much use, but I never thought it was uncomfortable.

16. Joe Talmadge

ddashner, I love the way the Wharcom fits my hand, except when I really have to grip it super hard. If you haven't done that and cut something yet, that might make the difference. For anything up to medium-duty work, I love the way the wharcom feels