1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Boker Plus RESCOM Folder...an EMT's view...

Discussion in 'Gear Reviews' started by Daywalker, Dec 6, 2006.

1. Daywalker
    • In Omnia Paratus

Daywalker EDC Junkie!!!

Aloha ALL,

Following is a review by KSmedic. Thought you might find it helpful:

"I managed to obtain a RESCOM early on in it's stateside availability, and promised our very own Daywalker that I would take it for a test drive and let folks know what I thought. So here's what I think- go buy one. Now. If you're in public safety, carry it every day. If you're not, keep one in the car. It just might save your life some day. I'm not kidding.

My first thought when the mailer arrived from Boker USA was ":censored:- that's a LITTLE package!" Well, remember that old saying about what size package good things come in? It's true. The knife is small, no doubt about it, but it functions like a much larger tool. The blade is made of AUS8, and has a hook along with about an inch of serrations. Both were as sharp as I would expect from a Boker product, which is second only to Spyderco and Kershaw. (And far sharper than you would expect from a knife selling at this price point.) I'm notorious for feeling the need to "touch up" my new knives edges. Didn't do it with this one. It met my standards right out of the box. I'm sure there are sexier steels out there, but AUS8 keeps the price down, takes a :censored: good edge, is easily resharpened in the field, resists rust fairly well, and cuts when you need it to. Steel type is one of the last things I look at when I'm in the market for a new knife anyway. If it takes a decent edge and I can resharpen it fairly easily, it's good enough for me.

The blade is nicely centered when closed, and remains so when the knife is opened. Lockup is solid, with the framelock covering a little less than half the tang's thickness. There is no play in the blade open or closed. The dual plastic thumb studs make it a breeze to open, and are big enough to hit easily when wearing extrication gloves. Just as important, the lockbar has enough texturing to it that you can easily CLOSE the knife with gloves on as well. A lot of companies have rescue knives that open well enough, but apparently they never thought about what you're supposed to do once you're done with the knife. I appreciate being able to easily safe the knife without having to stop and pull a glove off.

As mentioned above, the RESCOM is a framelock. The lock side is smooth steel, and carries the clip, which is set up for right handed carry, and reversible for tip up or tip down carry. Mine arrived set up for tip up, which is how I prefer to carry all my knives anyway. The other side has a Zytel (I'm assuming.) scale, nicely textured for a non-slip grip. I would personally like to see a little texture to the lock side, just because this is the kind of knife that will tend to be used in hostile environments. Of course, a little skateboard tape and an Xacto knife will easily texture the handle with little effort, so I doubt there's any real point to Boker making any changes, especially since I'm probably the only one that wants the texturing anyway! The edges of the handle are jimped where they need to be for a secure grip, and there is a well defined finger groove/choil, making the knife feel pretty darn good in the hand. You'll find a good sized lanyard hole on the butt of the knife, as well. It's big enough to easily slip 550 cord through.

So, how does it cut? Very well, thank you!

Seriously, I found that it was a lot handier than I expected it to be. I had hoped to be able to tell you that I was able to zip right through a seatbelt and snatch an innocent wreck victim from the jaws of death, all thanks to the RESCOM. Unfortunately, the trauma gods chose not to smile upon me, and there haven't been any serious wrecks that weren't either ejections or fatalities since I got the knife. So I don't know how it works on a seatbelt. Which doesn't really matter, I guess. Most seatbelts, if they are going to fail, fail open, not closed, so there is very rarely a need to cut a belt. (On a side note, if the vehicle is a GM product, and you can't get the belt to release, just smack the back of the buckle. It'll open every time.) Lacking a seatbelt, I had to resort to a pile of outdated, unsafe carseats we collected at our last check lane. The straps in these is the same material as a seatbelt, just narrower. The RESCOM sliced right through it with little effort. I was also able to cut clothing with the RESCOM a few times. I got through heavy denim with no problem, but couldn't cut a leather jacket. That's not all that unusual for any knife, though. You almost always need shears for leather, and even then it's a hand-numbing chore.

Around the station, the RESCOM was surprisingly handy. I really expected it to be reserved as a dedicated crash knife, but just for :censored:s and grins, carried the RESCOM as my only blade for a couple days. Most of our day is normally filled with duties around the station, opening boxes of supplies, maintenance of equipment, training, and so on. Everyone I work with carries a knife, or should I say "knife", since the vast majority (As in everyone but me and one other guy that carries a Kershaw Leek.) are using either a cheap Superknife clone or a gas station special. I'm working on them. Anyway, the RESCOM is actually a really good box knife. It can get under banding and stretch wrap easily, and is able to cut them with little effort. The hook slips right through cardboard, light wire, 550 cord, and light rope with ease. You won't be preparing any meals with the RESCOM, but almost every other knife chore will be handled well.

So, would I carry one every day? Absolutely! In fact, I already do! The RESCOM carries so lightly that there's really not a reason to NOT have it on me at all times. I normally don't use the pocket clip, but just drop it into my pocket. I wear 5.11 TDU trousers at work, and have found that the RESCOM fits very nicely into the coincatcher in the right front pocket. Also, if you wear 5.11 ATAC boots like I do, the RESCOM, or any of the SUBCOM folding variants will tuck into the"secret" pocket nicely. The clip really shines here, as it takes a pretty determined effort to get the knife back out of the boot pocket. You won't lose this one!

Anything I would change? Nothing of substance, really. There's another thread here regarding handle color, which is one of them. I'd like to see a brightly colored RESCOM. Of course, the handle can always be painted any color you like. I'd think that Krylon's Fusion paint, which is specifically intended to be used on plastics, is probably the best choice for this project. The only other thing I'd like to see is a slot that can be used as an oxygen bottle wrench. I would think that either the lanyard hole could be expanded, or a slot could be milled in the clip to enable the RESCOM to open O2 bottles. Again, not a big thing, and nothing that would be a deal breaker for me if they weren't offered. Just nice to have, if they're available. A couple folks at work asked about a glass breaker point on it. (They saw the breaker on the Meyerco Rescue 1 I keep in my Fatboy at the station, and thought it was a good idea.) I say no to glass breakers on knives, personally. I feel that you have too much chance of putting your hand through a window when using one. Do what I do. Either get the spring punch out of the trauma bag, or grab a halligan off the bus. Don't get your radial artery that close to broken glass. Nothing good can come from that!

So, what's the bottom line?

Well, I highly recommend the RESCOM to everyone in emergency services. It's a lightweight, easily carried lifesaving tool. It's not just for those of us in fire and EMS, either. I can see a real place for this for law enforcement, too- not just on wrecks, but for flex cuff removal and other times when a knife is needed but not a sharp point. Corrections officers would do well with one, too, You'll be able to cut (And I'm thinking of the inevitable suicide attempts here.) without having a potentially dangerous weapon floating around the cell. Would I carry one as my only knife? Probably not, since I am a knife knut. I like sharp stuff too well to only carry one knife that's such a specialized tool. BUT- the RESCOM is ALWAYS on me as a second (Or third!) knife. Chad's design is well thought out and eminently usable. I really like it. So much so, in fact, that I've ordered a SUBCOM and a WHARCOM to complete my set! Go buy a RESCOM. The life you save may be your own. Or some undeserving dirtbag's, which is far more likely.

Well done, Chad. OUTSTANDING knife design! Sell lots of these, and keep the good ideas coming."

Okay, so we got the SAR view from deeker, CO view from yours truly, and now an EMT's viewpoint...cool! ;)

God bless and stay safe all :)

PS: Mahalo much KSmedic for a great review! :highfive:

2. Concept

Concept Empty Pockets

Cheers for the outside review. The SF is sounding mighty tempting.

3. Daywalker
    • In Omnia Paratus

Daywalker EDC Junkie!!!

Mahalo Concept,

Thanks for checking it out. :highfive: I was kinda nervous when the RF got to this guy, but I was relieved to hear his take on the RESCOM Folder. I mean, I was just telling a firefighter that I CANNOT give the RF a Corrections Officer point of view and say it will work for EMT's, Firefighters, Military, SAR, Divers, Mountain Climbers, etc...because these folks cut different things under different circumstances.

That being said, I am VERY relieved for KSmedic's review. O0

God bless and Happy Holidays :tree:

4. potterma

potterma Empty Pockets

Congrats, DW! Most excellent review from KSmedic O0

5. deeker

deeker Loaded Pockets

Cool review. I thought that EMTs would be able to find a good use for that little guy. Nice to hear such a good review from it.
    Mine is clipped to the shoulder strap of my SAR pack, ready to be put in my BDUs as soon as we get called out.

Also, I'm saving up for an orange Potterma scale change... :-X

6. BIG-TARGET

BIG-TARGET Empty Pockets

Time to squirrel up some funds then!! O0