1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Bogata lockpicks

Discussion in 'Other Every Day Carry Items' started by The7thNazgul, Jul 20, 2013.

1. bull_paqqy
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

bull_paqqy EDC Junkie!!!!!

It was pretty much just like that too, I still plan on trying to learn to pick with just a basic pick tho. So I can understand the feel of a lock to see how it works. And once I have that down, then rock the Bogota for the win. :) Yes this forum is very dangerous to my wallet.

Cobra 6 Actual and T.H.Cone like this.
  2. The7thNazgul

The7thNazgul Loaded Pockets

I have the titanium SEREPICK set that I ordered from IS tactical. Where I had a gift card to. ;) Otherwise yeah i probably would have bought something cheaper!

3. Bryce357

Bryce357 Loaded Pockets

The titanium Bogota's are worth the bones. I'm a total newbie to it and have picked my front doorknob, garage doorknob and can pick my knock off masterlock in 5 seconds easy. It's a 4 or 5 pin lock, don't quite have the skills to tell yet. The titanium ones are real springy though, not sure if that's good or bad yet

4. revisions

revisions Loaded Pockets

I have the bogota titanium entry toolset minis, and the titanium definitely has more flex than I'm used to -- at first I was concerned that they would flex and break but after using them a bunch my concerns have been alleviated a bit. They may break eventually, but the flex/spring/bend was not as much of an issue as I originally anticipated.

5. andrewbisgnar

andrewbisgnar Loaded Pockets

I prefer SouthORD WAY over titanium picks. I'm a bit heavy handed, and break most thing titanium printed-out things. Plus, with 45 bucks you can get a fat set from SouthORD.

bull_paqqy likes this.
  6. mikey

mikey Banned

Do they make a good set for $20-25? I would rather have a skinny set that has the right tools for easier carry. :D

7. Bryce357

Bryce357 Loaded Pockets

Yeah, this was my first set. I'm not real worried about them breaking, but I do occasionally have to bend them back into place, but that's probably just my fault for using too much force being a newbie

8. Echo2

Echo2 Loaded Pockets

Best advice I can give you...goto the dollar store and buy a bunch of different locks in pairs....one to play with....one to rip apart.

I learned the most from a tumbler assembly out of a standard master lock held in a pair of vice grips.

I am by no stretch of the imagination a master...so take my advice with a grain of salt...:)

Cobra 6 Actual likes this.
  9. Minibear453
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

Minibear453 Loaded Pockets

So... I went out biking, found some street sweeper bristles, and made a set of "bogotas." Haven't tested them yet... but they look okay. I think. They're around twice as long as the actual ones, since I figured the extra length would make things easier for a novice like me. [​IMG]

Gorbag, Cobra 6 Actual and SAKplumber like this.
  10. moxy

moxy Loaded Pockets

Check the SouthOrd outlet section. They put blemish picks on there for sale and it saves you some money. I have seen quite a few different sets on there for sale so if they don't have what you are looking for keep checking back. That's how I got my SouthOrd set and I have put them to use. I said a day or so ago that I can only pick wafer locks so far but I forgot I unlocked my friends door a few months ago when he locked his keys in his house. It was way too easy... so much for physical security.

11. Ruff_Dog

Ruff_Dog Loaded Pockets

I don't have a set of Bogota's. I've used 'em once though. And I'm also on Lockpicking101.com. Over there, you want to apply pulsing tension (Raimundo says so himself -- he's the original maker of Bogota's). You always rake with it, eg, moving the pick up and down a bit as well as in and out, trying to get the pins to set. By the way, don't pick locks in use or locks you don't own. Buy a cheap lock from a hardware store, eg, Home Depot or Lowe's, or from Ebay.

MinistryOfTruth likes this.
  12. Minibear453
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

Minibear453 Loaded Pockets

Well, here's day one with my bogotas. It's really scary.. I have no prior lockpicking experience. All I did was make the set, and spend 10 minutes with them before the videos.

13. LogicBob

LogicBob Loaded Pockets

What videos have you watched? Any of Deviant Ollam's talks? Or Skuyler Towne's? Black Hat and DefCon both archive most all their lectures on their sites (free!) And are a good source, but you can just YouTube both of those names I mentioned for excellent content.

14. mikey

mikey Banned

Thanks for the info. I will keep my eye on their site for a $20-25 deal! I am not sure how big of a set to get but I dont want a too big of a set cause I think there is redundancy. I do want more than one tension pick in my set though! :D

15. rhosey

rhosey Loaded Pockets

I EDC the Folding Pocket Set 8 (all metal, "RCS Tool Co.") from lockpicktools. It's came in quite useful on the job. Previously I EDC'd the Southord Jacknife folding set, but the RCS set is far superior IMHO.

16. MinistryOfTruth
    • In Omnia Paratus

MinistryOfTruth Uber Prepared

Never tried a genuine bogota but southord has a snakerake thats pretty amazing.
    Now i dont edc my picks but i do give the old pads a wiggle every now and then, love to keep my fingers in action while watching the telly, i use a pretty slimmed down southord kit, mostly just the small hook as single pin picking is more fun but their snake "bogota"-style rake makes even expensive padlocks open up like childrens eyes at a magic-show!
    But never mind the pick, i think its all in the wrench, finding the right one and the right spot to rotate the tumbler around its axis wihtout pushing it out of line.