1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Bob in ppl's pockets. Why?

Discussion in 'Where, When, & How Do We Carry All This Stuff?' started by billybeans, Apr 25, 2013.

1. Steffen

Steffen Loaded Pockets

awesome hammer!

billybeans likes this.
  2. billybeans

billybeans Loaded Pockets

funny cause im considering making the switch.
    i am not much of a mobile gamer other than scrammble with friends [and i dont think it would be to dif]
    i do search the web often though.

i loved my evo for a long time i never had a case on it. sadly now it has been dropped on the face around 10 times and hard
    and yet to crack. how ever sometimes my phone touches its self. lol

3. Quixotica

Quixotica Loaded Pockets

I wouldn't go to iPhone unless you also had a Mac for a computer, and maybe an iPad. Then it's easy to synch stuff up. Otherwise, Android phones are pretty much the bees knees. Once it's time for me to switch, I'll never get an iPhone again :nah_disagree:

microbe, scooterbird and Mighty Max like this.
  4. billybeans

i guess the reason that prompted me to make me want to switch is the sheer amount of iphone products out there.
    there arent too many wallet/phone cases. and most of them are for the iphone. i dont know how much of a change it will be.

5. Quixotica

Quixotica Loaded Pockets

Switching from iPhone from Android was a huge change to me. Android I was used to being able to organize my screens however I wanted. Certain tiles in different places on the screen, plus widgets that let me look at updates on apps without having to manually start the app everytime. iPhone only has tiles, and they stack on top of each other. Some of my screens have app tiles on them that I don't even use, just to fill a space to put a tile where I want it on the screen. It annoyed me a lot when I first got it, but I've gotten used to it, so it annoys me marginally less now.

Mighty Max likes this.
  6. J_C
    • In Omnia Paratus

J_C Loaded Pockets

I left out my phone because its clipped to my belt. The thread is about pockets. It's a work-provided Blackberry.

billybeans likes this.
  7. thatotherguy

thatotherguy EDC Junkie!!!!!

And I carry a lot of stuff in my pockets and in my bag. Just sayin'. :)
    Stuff won't make you survive a disaster, but it sure makes survival easier.

8. SponzyParadox

SponzyParadox Loaded Pockets

I group by response to tasks.

General Cutting, I have a knife Smith and Wesson
    Prying/Scraping, I have a boker vox entry tool
    Screws/Crimping/plier work, I have a multitool and precision screwdriver set
    Grooming/Trimming, I carry microscissors
    Eating, looking into a ti spork and folding chopsticks
    Boo-Boo kit, because bleeding sucks
    Small Lighter, it is very light and when you need fire you need it USB, because I work on tech and its uses are huge.

My BOB has a much more advanced set up, I have a survival knife capable of batoning firewood. Compass, better FAK, looking into a packable rifle, folding camp stove, linemans handset and mobile, getting a solar usb charger, life straw etc.

9. tmedina

tmedina EDC Junkie!!!!!

I used to carry a lot more when I wore ACUs. I tend to be more limited based on civilian wear. That said, I will have more in my jacket pockets during the winter than I would in khakis and a t-shirt; simply the lack of pockets.

Invariably though: two knives, a flashlight, a wallet with pen, keys (with tweezers, bottle opener/pryer, flashlight), handkerchief, bandanna, hat, watch.

My backpack though, is still packed for a surprise three-day detail in the woods. Which is a bad habit and I need to stop.

10. brokedave

brokedave Uber Prepared

I hate the iPhones but they have all the coolest accessories. Wish my dna had some of them

Sent from my HTC DNA

billybeans likes this.
  11. UrbanWarrior

UrbanWarrior Loaded Pockets

I carry what I think I might need that day depending on where I'm going. The rest is in my EDC bag in the car.

billybeans likes this.
  12. Slipjoint

Slipjoint Loaded Pockets

To start with, a bugout bag is a specific concept. The idea is to have a pre-packed bag to that will hold everything you need to survive for 3 days (which is why it's often referred to as a 3-day bag) in case of an emergency.

A bugout bag is not something that can really be carried in the pockets. While you might be able to survive for three days with just the stuff in your pockets, the carrying capacity of your clothing is an inherent limitation that reduces your options considerably.

I carry a lot of stuff in my pockets because I've found that not having certain things can leave me in a bind.

As a former soldier, I got in the habit of carrying backups, because you never know if something important is going to get lost or damaged (the SEALS say "Two is one, one is none.") Which is why I carry multiple knives, flashlights, pens, etc. If it's important, I want to have a fallback option.

So when you ask what I would do if I lost a flashlight or a knife, I'd tell you that that's why I carry a spare.

I carry a knife because my teeth and fingernails are terrible for cutting things. And while I might be able to improvise a knife, it will never be as good as one that I can carry effortlessly in a pocket.

I carry a flashlight, because I can't see well in the dark. My eyes are not built to see well in low light conditions, and my body lacks the bioluminescence that some animals have developed to provide their own light.

I carry cordage because I lack the spinnarettes and silk-glands to make my own.

I carry a watch because sometimes the difference between fifteen minutes and a half hour is important.

I carry a compass because sometimes I can't see the sky, and because improvised direction finding methods are imprecise. Sometimes dangerously so.

I carry a multitool because you can't improvise a good substitute for needle-nose pliers and screwdriver out of sticks and treebark.

I carry fire-making tools because sometimes fire comes in really handy.

I carry a pen and paper because they allow me the power to communicate with others, sort and compile data, and take notes that are more accurate than my memory is.

The bottom line is that your mindset can only get you so far. The tools I EDC are force-multipliers that add to or boost my natural capabilities. Having them handy makes my life easier and improves my odds of surviving emergency situations.

I think survival skills, and a survival mindset are both great things to have. But I think it's even better to carry a few tools that reduce the chances of my ending up in a survival situation in the first place.

Last edited by Slipjoint, Jun 14, 2013
  13. Sarky

Sarky Loaded Pockets

I feel really, really, stupid for carrying a knife, flashlight and lighter now. I'm going to sell all my BOB stuff, buy a book on fruit tinning and take up knitting. :smug:

14. billybeans

hahahahaha thats funny. lol

15. Sarky

Sarky Loaded Pockets

That's a skill to be admired. However, I'd rather carry a compass than a 2 foot long stick and 2 rocks. Plus, how well does this work at night? ;)

16. Grumpster

Grumpster Loaded Pockets

...or an overcast day?

I'm on the same page with Slipjoint and others who EDC a few basic items that enhance the skill set you already have. A photon/laser/tricorder is useless unless you know how to use it, but in addition to phone, watch, glasses, and wallet, I ALWAYS carry on my person, fire (BIC), light (EO1 or ?), knife (MT and/or SAK), signal (whistle, pen, notepad), nav (compass), FAK (chapstick and a couple bandaids at the very least)...even to church on Sunday morning. -G-

17. billybeans

well i dont carry the two rocks and stick lol. what i meant is i can use my surroundings as a compass

18. MedusaOblongata

MedusaOblongata Loaded Pockets

I carry a lot in my pockets, more than most here do. I do this so I don't have to carry a bag around all the time (like many do). I don't carry a BOB in my pockets, but I do carry gear that I use a lot, gear that I might need, and some things I hope I never need.

I think it's pretty ridiculous to come to this site and complain that people carry too much gear.

[Edit: comment about spelling, grammar, and punctuation removed.]

kertap75 likes this.
  19. The British Are Coming

The British Are Coming Loaded Pockets

Why do I carry so much stuff?

Well, I carry a knife because I might want to cut something. I carry a flashlight because it gets dark. I carry a multitool because it covers a whole host of possible needs. I carry a water bottle because I need water to live. I carry some dried fruit because I get hungry. I carry deodorant because no-one likes being around stink people. I carry a first aid kit because accidents happen. I carry a hairbrush / comb because having scruffy hair creates a bad impression. Should I carry on?

JustinJ likes this.
  20. Sarky

Sarky Loaded Pockets