1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

BOB and documents? What to carry and how?

Discussion in 'EDC Bags' started by Lorenzo, Mar 16, 2010.

1. Lorenzo

Lorenzo Loaded Pockets

There's a lot of various BOBs, survival kits etc. posted here, packed with tools, weapons, emergency equipment but in almost all cases there seems to be no documents.

While your credit cards and personal ID may be kept in a wallet, consider how important and how difficult to restore can your papers be - the diplomas/certificates/other work credentials etc. If you're fleeing a house, would you feel better if you have the ownership proof/deeds/mortgage/insurance papers? Finally, in case you do not survive - would it not be better to have a drawn will? I'm not talking about digital copies on a flash drive, but dead tree documents.

I understand this is a very complicated problem. First of all, how would you store such a BOB to keep it easily reachable and at the same time hidden from a casual burglar? Second, how does one provide waterproofing and mechanic protection for a stack of documents?

2. Leif

Leif Empty Pockets

I would think that a bank safe deposit box would work better for ~99% of the situations that might occur.

Also, keep in mind that many public record documents can be "reconstituted" from their offices of origin, i.e., deeds obtained from recorders of deeds, birth certificates obtained from vital statistics bureaus, etc. While it would take a little work and is not a perfect solution, it can be done.

One last point as well: US courts have upheld consistently the validity of electronic copies of records over the last few decades, so I wouldn't get too hung up on whether or not a document is on paper or not. Of course, if you have no power and need to access a document, then electronic copies don't help much, but that is a different matter entirely.

3. LivingUpNorth

LivingUpNorth Loaded Pockets

Other than the safety deposit box, you could always get something like this:
    http://www.sunnysports.com/prod/SETDRD.html?srccode=cii_23393768&cpncode=20-49087252-2
    and insert a stiff plastic sheet to keep the documents from bending too much. You would have to find someplace semi-hidden in your house (behind the nightstand, bookcase, etc.) where a casual burglar wouldn't notice it, but you could grab it quickly if needed. I have mine in a hard briefcase next to my bed, which is kind of obvious, but I plan on changing it. I also have a flash drive with digital scans of my important documents located elsewhere.

"Reconstituting" old documents from public sources is a bit of a pain, but it does work. We had to do that for some of our documents after a house fire.

4. Flight-ER-Doc

Flight-ER-Doc Loaded Pockets

We keep the following in our BoB's, in an around-the-neck passport / ID carrier. These are all copies, since we need the real ones all the time: Passport, drivers license, Soc Security Card, CCW's, Medical / drug licenses, vehicle titles, property deeds.

Except for the passports, deeds and titles, we have all of that plus credit cards in our wallets all the time anyway, so we would presumably have them with us. Copies of titles and deeds are sufficient for proof of ownership in a disaster.

We keep the real copies of deeds and titles in a safe deposit box, and passports in the home safe.

5. jemhouston

jemhouston Loaded Pockets

I keep a scanned copy of my important documents, bank statements, insurance paperwork, credit card records, and the like on flash drives along with backup of my computer files on a portable hard drive I keep in my safety deposit box.

If you keep a set in your BOB, using encryption software or a password protected zip file. If you go the zip file, make sure it's self extracting to avoid compatibility issues.