1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

BM Mini Grip Fan Club

Discussion in 'Knives' started by Tony Sal, Jan 30, 2015.

1. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

Very nice! We don't seem to see many tanto versions around here!

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

Hagbard81 and Tony Sal like this.
  2. BC42

BC42 Loaded Pockets

Tan handle was my first choice but I'm not really a fan of coated blades. The other choices for a satin blade was yellow or pink :).

Hagbard81 and Tony Sal like this.
  3. BC42

BC42 Loaded Pockets

When I got my Bailout, I called BKC for a couple of mini deep carry clips. Perfect for the Mini Grip.
    [​IMG]

4. aicolainen

aicolainen Loaded Pockets

It's kind of funny. I never had as many Spydercos as I do right now, and without consciously planning to, I have just been carrying BMs for the last couple of weeks.

As winter is approaching EDC gets more complicated, a few months ago I put on a shorts with all my gear in the morning and took it off in the evening. Now I'm running at least 3 different setups, the most common being; casual/office, light outdoor (dog walking, working outside etc.) and bad weather outdoor.
    [​IMG]

I don't put a crazy amount of thought into this, but the Bugout really stands out as a great option for normal EDC so once it found its way into my jeans pocket, it doesn't want to leave. The mini-grip, which this thread is suppose to be about, has long been a favorite when I want to be prepared for some harder(ish) use. It feels very solid while still being so carry-able and easy to operate. The 940..., I must admit it's not my favorite knife, but I trying to learn to like it, so I guess that's how it ended up in that pocket

5. Moshe ben David

@aicolainen: in terms of 'harder(ish)' use, what sorts of situations have you found where the mini-grip made more sense than the Bugout? I have both, as well as the earlier Pardue knives and at least in my usual situations they're all pretty interchangeable. So I'm quite curious you see....

Thanks

Moshe ben David

Tony Sal likes this.
  6. aicolainen

@Moshe ben David , that's not a nice question. You must certainly understand that these are made up problems that probably only exist in my head ;) To be honest, up until this date I have not been able to do permanent damage to a modern folding knife, but keep in mind I've only been trying for about 3 years.

My reasoning when selecting a knife for a specific day or situation, albeit very theoretical, is this: most days / situations I only expect to open packages, cut food or other simple tasks that does not require much of the knife. Other times I expect harder use or I just want to be ready for the unexpected. If I plan to do work on my house or car, go to the range or go hunting, I don't take the Chaparral for instance. These are all situations where I know I might have to cut stuff that you would prefer not to cut at all, or even use the knife for something it was not intended for in lack of a more suitable tool.

Much of what we do here is learning from past experiences and wherever possible we want to be better prepared next time around (it's kind of similar to a QA process isn't it ;-) ), and many of my purchases aim to do just that, and the mini-grip was not a random purchase either. Many years ago when I was walking in the woods with my dog, the dog that was running freely around, got caught in a pile of some kind of old stranded nylon material that somebody had just left or forgotten. At that time I didn't carry any knife at all, and to get my dog, that was slightly panicking, out of that mess was next to impossible. Having a knife in that situation would have saved me a lot of time and consequently my dog from a lot of unnecessary pain and stress.
    The G10 mini-grip was one of my first expensive pocket knives, I already had the small Sebenza, but this episode with the dog was still lurking in my head and I wanted something that was more suitable as a "dog walkers knife". For this knife I wanted a synthetic and more grippy handle, a deployment method that was reliable under most conditions, even with gloves, and I wanted a sheepsfoot blade.
    I will probably and hopefully not experience anything similar ever again, but it's a good excuse to buy another knife, and even if that smelly stuff stays out of the fan, we all know how many small tasks that we otherwise wouldn't have thought to bring a knife for, gets a lot easier when you actually have one.
    Most of my gear has a similar backstory, and off course doesn't everything work out as well in reality as it did in my head, and that is probably a part of why we never stop chasing the next thing...

Moshe ben David, BC42 and Tony Sal like this.
  7. Moshe ben David

@aicolainen: I have to confess I can't tell if you're being subtle or if you're upset when you say my question was "...not a nice question." It wasn't intended to cause any ire or discomfort; I was sincerely just wondering.

I don't think on an individual level any of the 'problems'/challenges/scenarios each of us use as the basis for choosing our gear are made up. I believe they arise from whatever each of us encounter or anticipate encountering. Which is why IMNSHO, each of us has such a unique set of gear that we choose to carry. We're each seeing the world through a different lens.

In my case for example, I choose to rotate my blade selection at least weekly; sometimes changing up mid week just because I enjoy doing so. But there is a constant for me. I basically always have a primary and a backup blade. One will be a PE and the other will be a SE. (I tried a combo blade in my early days but didn't like it.)

I have a fixed view that SE blades are especially useful with fibrous materials you see. Not that I actually ENCOUNTER a need to cut such daily. :). I just want a blade that slices through such effortlessly!

But that's just me...

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

8. aicolainen

I'm definitely not upset ;) Could be the Norwegian subtleness and a slight language barrier that kept that from coming across in an unambiguous way.
    Anyway, I was just joking slightly with the fact that we are generally overthinking things and get gear that are overkill for what most of us use it for. When someone starts digging into our "made up" reasoning, like you did, we need to explain more thoroughly and the story we made up in our head to justify the purchase can quickly fall apart.
    It's not a problem at all. I know that I'm more or less guilty of this with every purchase, but I get some joy from it. And besides, I don't take myself too seriously :)

Moshe ben David and Tony Sal like this.
  9. BC42

BC42 Loaded Pockets

I thought it was funny because I use similar reasoning to justify some purchases. I got the Grip for "harder use" while the Mini Grip would be my EDC since I'm more of a urban edc'er. Don't get me started on the others :p

10. Moshe ben David

Cool. I knew you were not in the US; but I know enough folks from varied places on the globe that I long ago gave up 'assuming' that I knew where their feelings were at!

Although I was born in US and have spent most of my life here, many people often aren't sure what I'm thinking... part of it being regionalisms here in US and part being my own 'brand' of weirdness!

All good!

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

Tony Sal and aicolainen like this.
  11. Hagbard81

Hagbard81 Loaded Pockets

It got this version by a nice coincidence. I was interested in owning a Benchmade, and especially a Grip / Mini Grip for a longer time already, to see how I like the Axis Lock and to compare it to all my Spyderco knives. At this time the usual recommendation for an edc knife was either a Grip / Mini Grip or a PM2.
    In addition, I wanted a knife to match my pen (the setup was completed by a matching flashlight later on).
    When I saw the posted Mini Grip at my favourite online dealer on sale for a very good price and only 1 left in stock, I just had to pull the trigger. This was some time ago and I like it, but it is still my only Benchmade... and I have bought quite a lot of knives afterwards.

Tony Sal, Moshe ben David and BC42 like this.
  12. BC42

BC42 Loaded Pockets

I bought my first Benchmade earlier this year and can't stop buying them now :). Before that, I couldn't justify spending more than $50 for a pocket knife and I've had many pocket knives over the last 40 yrs. I love the Axis lock and how quickly it can be used with one hand.

I bought a Para 3 to see what's so great about Spydercos and the compression lock specifically. I left it on my desk and played with it for a few days, then it went into my knife case. I still don't get it.

I think the Mini grip is one of the best all around urban edc pocket knife. I've carried a Kershaw Cryo for almost 10 yrs before and given them as gifts to friends and family. The 940 is a great knife but the blade is too thick for slicing. The Bugout is a great slicer but I don't really use my pocket knife for food and I have a box cutter for cutting up cardboard so I fall back on the Mini Grip or 940-2 as my edc.

13. Tony Sal

Tony Sal EDC Junkie!!!

Someday I'll tell ya how I insisted on my right a a 'good guy' to take my mini grip into the big city...security was not amused, but I got it back on the way out!

14. Tony Sal

Tony Sal EDC Junkie!!!

15. Moshe ben David

Sounds like a story that would go well with a couple of fingers of bourbon or rye ;) !

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

That Movie Guy, Lateck and Tony Sal like this.