1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

BM Mini Grip Fan Club

Discussion in 'Knives' started by Tony Sal, Jan 30, 2015.

1. Tony Sal

Tony Sal EDC Junkie!!!

Special order or new scales, correct? Very cool!

2. Bdon

Bdon Loaded Pockets

If you are referring to my post, it is custom order from Benchmade. One side is green the other black. Deep carry clip and 154cm sheepsfoot blade.

Tony Sal likes this.
  3. colin.p

colin.p Loaded Pockets

Getting back to the subject of deep-carry pocket clips, I bought a 556 back in June. Then a few days later, I contacted BM and requested a DC clip. Around 6 weeks or so later, I got an envelope with 2 DC clips and the associated screws. I put one of the clips on my 556, but what to do with the second one you may ask? Well, I bought a 940-2 at the beginning of September and immediately put the DC clip on the new 940. A couple days later, a guy at work sold me a well used 580 Barrage for cheap and I noticed the clip was getting rather worn looking, so I put the unused clip from the 940-2 on it.

So I think I did really well on using the clips I got from Benchmade. However, I still have the original clip from the 556 and the beat-up split arrow clip from the 580, I am going to have to use them up, but what Benchmades do I get?:bounce:

Tony Sal likes this.
  4. Tony Sal

Tony Sal EDC Junkie!!!

Is thag a Buck as your avi? Got one. BMKC is generous with clips and screws!

5. colin.p

colin.p Loaded Pockets

No actually it's a Carhartt/ Case large stockman. Wouldn't mind a Buck Stockman.

Tony Sal likes this.
  6. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

I have several stockman knives. Most are medium by Case; one Schrade/Old Timer that is a bit smaller than a medium; and a Buck. The Buck is noticeably different than the others. Blades do not 'snap' into open position as crisply as do the Case or the Old Timer or for that matter any of my many SAK. Really a 'soft' opening. No idea if it is unique to the particular specimen I have or not. But I'd probably neither buy nor recommend another. This is one of the items Buck has made in China. I suspect Buck needs to work more closely with their plant or supplier over there to achieve a better performing product.

OTOH, I have a Buck 112 which I absolutely love to carry. I'd probably also get a 110 except I'm virtually always in an urban/suburban environment and the 110 is just a bit larger than I'd like to carry.

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

Tony Sal and colin.p like this.
  7. Tony Sal

Tony Sal EDC Junkie!!!

Agree. love my 110 & 112 but cant carry in the city.
    I like the 556 mini grip for light weight and somewhat stealth!!

8. Moshe ben David

He he. Forgot I had posted back in 2017. I did end up getting a Buck 110. They're not really all that much longer than the 112 although they are beefier of course. (110 is 3 3/4" blade; 112 is 3" blade; considering the blade lengths we see with so many 'tactical' knives I think no sweat most of the time! :) ) It does show up on my belt in a Buck sheath periodically. Doesn't seem to be a problem around here. 'Here' being the suburbs of Northern Virginia... no way I'd be wearing it going into DC or Baltimore of course; but I do wear it in Fairfax and Arlington...

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

Tony Sal likes this.
  9. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

I forgot about this thread until seeing again just now too!

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

colin.p, Lateck and Tony Sal like this.
  10. Tony Sal

Tony Sal EDC Junkie!!!

I have both, 40 years ago! while in the USCG and posted elsewhere how annoyed I am that I am treated presumed criminal and cant carry either!!

11. BC42

BC42 Loaded Pockets

Just got these two this week. I wasn't sure which size would be better so I got both. I got the bigger one in S30V and mini in 154CM but they shipped the mini in S30V. The bigger one fits my hand much better but the mini is easier to carry and works better for an edc knife 99% of the time. It's also less intimidating in the smaller size. I called BM to get a deep carry clip and they started charging $5 ea starting Feb of this year.

The mini just needed a tweak of the pivot pin screw to work great but the full sized needed a bit more. I took it apart to clean and lube (TW-25B) but it still didn't work well. I just took it apart again this evening and polished the brass washers, blade and frame where they mate and the slot where the axis lock rides in. There's still a bit of gritty-ness but much better and while the blade doesn't drop free, it does swing easier and smoother while still locking up with no play so I'm happy for now. Hopefully both will break in.
    [​IMG]

12. Moshe ben David

Glad you're enjoying your new 'grips'.

It is absolutely incredible and pitiful to me that BM, especially at the rather high prices of their products, continue to ship product which do not perform as most of us would expect straight out of the box. BM needs to do some market research and soul searching. There are far too many other knife makers out there -- especially with the rising new crop of manufacturers out of China (e.g., WE Knives, Kizer, Reate, Bestech, et al., who are putting product on the market across the full range of pricing range, and who DO ship product that functions well out of the box!

For myself, I've long considered a couple of popular/iconic BM knives (the 940, the Crooked River) to add to my collection, but I still see too many customer reviews of poor quality out of the box. At BM pricing, no way in hell am I going to order -- I have plenty of solid knives already, and plenty of manufacturers put out solid product still.

Or maybe BM thinks their only competition are folks like CRKT, Schrade, and the suppliers at the local discount stores and gas stations?

I'm done ranting...

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

Tony Sal and BC42 like this.
  13. BC42

BC42 Loaded Pockets

I was on a shopping spree this week. I also ordered a 940-1501 and it came today (yesterday). I was fully expecting to tweak it a bit to work right but it worked perfectly right out of the box. Actually, it works just like I've seen in videos and really easy to flick open and close with no blade play side to side. I also bought a mini grip (S30V) for my nephew and it also worked well. The pivot was a hair too tight but otherwise, smooth like my mini. The full sized was the only one that had issues. It's working much better but I think it still needs a few weeks or months to fully break in.
    [​IMG]

surefire7 and Tony Sal like this.
  14. colin.p

colin.p Loaded Pockets

I just oil the snot out of them and magically, after awhile they decide to smooth out. However, my newest 940 required a little convincing from me, but if you do the "quick and dirty" disassembly, it's real easy to do.

I'll let my buddy Nick explain it:

Moshe ben David and Tony Sal like this.
  15. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

I have also learned that with the AXIS lock the difference in tightening the pivot screw is so slight that it can seem impossible to get just right.

I think we each have our own preference for just how tight the pivot is and how the blade does or does not drop under its own weight with gravity on it alone and the range of adjustment once you get close to where you want it is so small that this also makes people give up before they find their own sweet spot with it.

I know that I can get one perfect and if I cough I can push it too far.

Tony Sal likes this.
  16. BC42

BC42 Loaded Pockets

I was playing with my 3 new BMs and noticed that the washers in the mini and 940 are floating about 1/2 mm off the frame at certain sides. I can see light between the washer and the frame and blade. Maybe less but it doesn't fully contact the blade and/or the frame. For anyone that assembles stuff with washers know that most washers have 2 sides, a smooth side and a edged side. This is mainly caused by how they're manufactured (stamped). The brass washers are no different. The reason why I polished the washers on the Grip was partially to get rid of this edge but it seems the Axis lock depends on this for less friction. My Grip is much less sensitive to adjustments of the pivot screw because there's more surface contact between the frame, blade and washers after polishing and removing the edge of the brass washers. I also noticed that it's the only one that doesn't have blade play with the Axis lock disengaged. The 940 and Mini both have a little blade play when fully extended and Axis lock disengaged because of the space created by the washer edges. When the Axis lock is engaged, there is very little to no blade play.

Now, the Grip seems to be the smoothest after polishing but it needs a noticeable flick of the wrist to fully open and close. The pivot screw isn't as sensitive but it also doesn't allow the blade to free drop when disengaging the Axis lock. I think the washers need to be broken in more.

The Mini and 940 needs much less wrist action to open/close but the washers seem to be only contacting with the edges from the stamping. It does seem to be easier to open and when locked open, there's very little blade play but the fact that the washer don't fully contact the surfaces bothers the inner amateur engineer in me. I might polish and debur the washers.

I hope this makes sense to more than just me :)

colin.p, Moshe ben David and Tony Sal like this.
  17. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

I have noticed the same and I always burnish the washers clean with a Scotch Brite pad or something a little more abrasive depending on how bad they seem.

I have also smoothed out a few other knives this way including Sebenzas and it really does make them better.

colin.p, Tony Sal and BC42 like this.
  18. BC42

BC42 Loaded Pockets

Ok, I just sanded the washers in the 940 and Mini with 1000g sandpaper, greased with TW-25B and reinstalled. I left the blade and frame alone. They both work as before but when the Axis lock is disengaged, there is much less play in the blade. I also don't see any space between the spacer, blade and frame.

I think I'm done with all three and will just let them break in before doing anything more. They all work well now and very smooth so I'm happy with them :)

Tony Sal likes this.
  19. Tony Sal

Tony Sal EDC Junkie!!!

...but, shouldn't have to do all that, right!?

20. Moshe ben David

I truly admire that you have the knowledge and the capability to undertake the repairs that you did.

But in my opinion, that is beside the 'point'. Most customers I believe would not be able to do so. But this is STILL besides the point. A manufacturer has an obligation to ship product that meets the specifications and performance he claims when advertising the product. A customer buys the product has the natural expectation that he will receive a product ready for use.

Unless of course the manufacturer advertises the product as intended for hobbyists who get pleasure from repairing, modding, etc., the purchased product.

Manufacturers who ship product which is defective are committing fraud. Yes, they can mitigate this by providing service to rectify the defects; but such service doesn't really compensate customers for inconvenience and delays. The customer is already out the cash for purchase! When a manufacturer such as BM is recognized for pricing at the high end of his market, in my opinion, there is an implied promise to EXCEED market expectations. You may differ from me on this point...

In summary, BM is essentially acting like the once so-called 'Big 3' US automakers did. They continually shipped defective product, all the time sneering at imports from Europe and especially Japan. We all know what happened. Japan especially ate their lunch. The irony has been that after WWII, the Japanese learned how to ensure and continually improve their quality via the help of American QA experts (Dr. Deming, Dr. Juran, et al) through the US Government programs to rebuild the German and Japanese economies. The final irony was that these same experts had failed for YEARS to convince US industry of the need for quality. (I am by the way a retired QA professional myself...!)

From where I sit BM are being idiots. This time it is the new crop of Chinese knife makers who will continually eat BM's lunch, together with a few other companies like Spyderco and ZT... Pitiful.

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

aicolainen, BC42 and Tony Sal like this.