1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Bluetooth tile for key chain or knife fob

Discussion in 'Keychain Tools' started by aicolainen, Feb 25, 2019.

1. aicolainen

aicolainen Loaded Pockets

Not sure where to put this topic. I guess the most relevant application for a Bluetooth tile is keychains so that's where it goes, but in my case I'm using it for knives.
    My knives are getting more and more expensive so I want to mitigate the risk of loosing them. My first thought was to attach a glow in the dark fob, but I don't think that improves the odds of finding a lost knife by much.
    Then I started thinking about Bluetooth tiles. I've never used them, but that seems like a much better idea.
    This is slightly based on me once losing one of those small in-the-ear Bluetooth hands-frees while walking my dog in the forest, and I was able to recover it by walking the same path again and see when it connected to my phone. When it connected I knew it was within a few yards, and found it after a few minutes of searching the ground.

Long intro there, but anyhow... I know you can buy these everywhere, but as I have no experience I want to ask on this knowledgeable forum if there are some that are better suited than others? Especially the form factor matters when integrating it in a knife fob.

Eskerbillion and Tony Sal like this.
  2. Tony Sal

Tony Sal EDC Junkie!!!

Can't really talk much on BT technology, fits in a lanyard? I agree a glow fob, though cool would only help you locate something in an area you suspected....

3. aicolainen

Yupp. I think I want to attach some kind of tracker with bright orange paracord (275 maybe) in some way. Or if there is a smarter way I didn't think about - I'm all for it.

Oh, by the way, I forgot to mention. I'm not normally this paranoid in my everyday life. This setup is for my outdoors kit :)

Tony Sal likes this.
  4. FInixNOver

FInixNOver Loaded Pockets

I believe you might be searching for something like this.

I can take pictures of it next to some knives, is you need.[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my Redmi Note 5

Tony Sal and aicolainen like this.
  5. aicolainen

Thanks.

I've found a few in local web shops, but most seem a bit bulky to use as knife fob. But then again, it's hard to evaluate based on pictures and technical specs. Guess I have to bite the apple and try one.

Tony Sal likes this.
  6. FInixNOver

The size of this one is 36.4x36.4x5.9mm.
    Some more pics.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

[EDIT] Took out the calipers and confirmed the dimensions, which I wrote wrong in the first place.

#6 FInixNOver, Feb 25, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2019
    aicolainen and Tony Sal like this.
  7. chmsam

chmsam Loaded Pockets

The problem with the Tile line is a non-user replaceable battery. That's about 50% of the cost or more of the Tile to replace the battery and there's shipping time and costs too. Look for ones you can change yourself. Trackr is one brand - they come in at least 2 sizes that would work and use easily found coin cell batteries. One model can be a bit of a pain to change but once you learn a simple trick or two, not a problem.

Moshe ben David and Tony Sal like this.
  8. patientcero

patientcero Loaded Pockets

Tile has user replaceable battery models now.

Weight: 7.5g Size: 34.7mm x 34.7mm x 6.2 mm
    Range: 150 ft / 45m Battery life: 1 year Guaranteed
    Battery Type: Replaceable coin-cell (CR1632)

https://www.thetileapp.com/en-us/store/tiles/mate

Tony Sal likes this.
  9. Ethos

Ethos Loaded Pockets

WAAAAY bigger than I want attached to my knives! Ive never lost something I haven't been able to find in short order, or just thought it was lost. I've I've never lost a knife. If it were the size of rice it would be much more practical, but likely more expensive.

Tony Sal likes this.
  10. FInixNOver

The battery on the one I have (above), is user replaceable, and the package comes with an extra battery included.

11. Tallboyjim

Tallboyjim Loaded Pockets

My mate has one his flashlight, the brand is called Tile, he got it from Costco (Uk anyway) and the battery looks replaceable.

EDIT The reason I was able to give it the once over isthat he left on the workbench at work over the weekend, so the system is far from foolproof!

Last edited by Tallboyjim, Apr 8, 2019
    #11 Tallboyjim, Apr 8, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2019
  12. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

Hmmm. Wonder if something like the id tag injected under the skin of one's dog or cat could find an application here? I know they're not trackers in the sense of what you're discussing so maybe something new is needed on the market... hmmm.

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

Ethos likes this.
  13. tbzbbt

tbzbbt Loaded Pockets

I have just taken delivery of a couple of the "Tile Pro" in black. It has a replaceable battery. It works over Bluetooth and has a loud audio alarm that can be triggered by the connected phone. A button on the tile can trigger the phone alarm even when silent. If location services are on you phone, it remembers the last place and time it was recognised by your phone and can show this on a map. If it disappears form bluetooth range, It also sends email notification when it is "found" again within bliuetooth range of your phone...so....the app simply enables recognition of the last time the phone and tile were within bluetooth range.

It seems to do the basic alarm sounding when you find it, but the rest seems a bit flaky. It only sometimes recognises the location on a map, and it sends me emails in the night to say that my tile has been "found" even though I didnt know it was lost (there is a Avicii song in there somewhere). I don't if this is due to bluetooth dropouts ...or something. I'm also not clear about the implications of not havng the app running on my phone or ipad at any given time. The documentation is....non existent.

What I was really wnating is a proximity sensor that sounds the alarm when the phone and tile are separated by a certain distance. I don't see this feature unless it is hidden in an unwelcome premium subscription. I'm still experimenting with it. I have never really lost my key or bag. This may provide some added assurance and I'll report back when I've done some experimenting with it on my travels.

tbzbbt

Killer use case if anyone is listening: a waterproof tile that the user wear swimming in the surf which sounds when someone steals their swim bag from the beach....yes this has happened to me.

aicolainen and Tony Sal like this.
  14. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

hmm. Re: your use case for when one is swimming at the beach. I'd be cynical on this one. If you're out in the surf how would you hear the alarm AND get back to your towel/bag/ blanket/whatever in time to do anything? Maybe I'm simple minded, but seems to me more logical thing is to have some kind of waterproof canister etc to hold keys on a neck chain? Or if that doesn't make sense lock all keys in the car or in a pay locker except for the one key to open said car or pay locker and keep that key either on a neck chain or on the sort of elastic bracelet that used to be used when using a pool at the local gym/swim association/country club/whatever...

Just thinking'! ;)

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

Tony Sal likes this.
  15. tbzbbt

tbzbbt Loaded Pockets

This is Australia. A sounding alarm eminating from a bag attracts attention. Someone shouting from the surf does prompt action from others tuned-in to warnings of rips or shark attacks. The sense of fair-play is very strong. Taken together the dodgy character unable to silence an alarm will be challenged and most likely dump the bag and move on. Of course you can carry your possessions everywhere you roam - and adhere to the edc spirit - but such technology measures are intended to make this an unnecessary burden.

tbzbbt

Moshe ben David and Tony Sal like this.
  16. Tony Sal

Tony Sal EDC Junkie!!!

does Tbzbbt have a particular meaning or just a name?