1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Blatant copy of Crews Gerber Key Mod

Discussion in 'Do-It-Yourself & Gear Modifications' started by ryanol, Aug 7, 2011.

1. ryanol

ryanol Empty Pockets

I picked up a Gerber Curver for three bucks - it's pink but whatever, at that price I couldn't pass it up.

Since I was busy with the dremel already working on my modded cheapo pry bar I decided to try and mod out the curve.
    [​IMG]
    Untitled by rlibson, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    Gerber keychain mod by rlibson, on Flickr

Two keys and I kept the file and screw driver on the outsides. I flipped the keys so that I can tell which is which.

Not sure if I am going to keep it though might go with a rivet or bushing based system as this one is still pretty bulky.

2. Crew
    • In Omnia Paratus

Crew Loaded Pockets

Looks great! I like how you kept the original tools, I thought about doing that. Hope it works well for you!

3. ryanol

ryanol Empty Pockets

I originally was going to remove all tools and have house and car keys on the curve - but the lady at Home Depot didn't cut the car keys right - glad I tested it before dremeling and filing the end off.

The two tool on each side do a nice job of flanking the house keys and I turned them around so that the garage key faces one way and the house key faces the other - that way I can tell which is which with tactile feedback.

Like you I ground off too much so now I have to sort of jingle the house key a little.

It's a cool little hack and it's great when I unclip it and take just the curve like when I am going out for a walk with the dogs. The only real downside is that I can only flick it open and get the key I want one handed about half the time...otherwise it's a two handed number :(