1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Blade Finish - strong feelings

Discussion in 'Knives' started by tbzbbt, Nov 29, 2021.

1. tbzbbt

tbzbbt Loaded Pockets

I have a small collection of knives but I have a very strong aversion to the stonewashed finish. I think it is primarily because the "dirty" look of the blade makes me reluctant to using it in food prep. It also looks "cheap" in my view. I tolerate black blade finishes but prefer a satin or uncoated steel finish. I really wanted a Spyderco Aqua but passed as the version had a black finish only.

Does anyone else avoid purchasing a knife purely because of blade finish?

tbzbbt

2. Elmiro Dungfoot

Elmiro Dungfoot Loaded Pockets

I have no aversion to coated-blades. Aesthetics are, a very personal-choice. I'm not a fan of serrated-blades in any finish. Don't care for them, and never did. Here is an 'Off Grid' with a black DLC:

[​IMG]

Also, love the AD-10's finish from Cold Steel;

[​IMG]

xevious and Wishoot like this.
  3. CV801

CV801 Loaded Pockets

I don't mind any finish as long as it's not black. I have no issues with the look of a black blade new I just don't like the wear and scratches it shows when used.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

karlito and post tenebras like this.
  4. post tenebras

post tenebras Loaded Pockets

I like satin, plain, and stonewashed. I'm not crazy about black. I've never had a Damascus blade.

5. ThaMac

ThaMac Loaded Pockets

Not a big fan of coatings. They are overrated in effect and will rub off eventually. When a coated knife gets scratched it looks way less attractive. Same as with every other coated/painted/lacquered/whatever surface. Raw surfaces break in nicely, coated ones don’t. My own 0.02 USD.

Austria est imperare orbi universo

echo victor likes this.
  6. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

I really like Stonewashed myself but will never buy a Damascus knife,I am just not a fan at all of the look though I imagine there is more to it than just the look too.

I dont mind Black coating and some look pretty good to me when worn and used.

Overall I have no issues with any finish and like them to look used well enough if they are indeed used too!

Elmiro Dungfoot and twin63 like this.
  7. yo mama

yo mama Loaded Pockets

Dlc, pvd, chromium nitrate, .....alot of coatings looked scratched, but it's really just transfered material. Cardboard is notorious for this, makes you think the finish is gone. But an alcohol based cleaner usually gets the blade looking brand new again.

Stonewash is a great finish to me, hides the real scratches, and prevents corrosion. I'd have a tougher time mentally using a mirror polish vs stonewash especially on a higher end knife.

8. neo71665

neo71665 Loaded Pockets

Plain edge and uncoated steel. Don't really care if it's polished or stone wash. The older I get the more I'm leaning towards traditional knives with plain blades and handle materials anyways.

Only feature I've really been disappointed in is a brand that refuses to give deep carry pocket clips. I've passed on a few spyderco knives that I liked everything about them until it comes to the clip. Shouldn't be forced to go to a 3rd party and buy a clip on a brand new knife.

9. DCBman

DCBman Loaded Pockets

I don't really have strong feelings about finish on a knife as much as I do functionality. For me, it's not about appearance. A knife needs to be scary sharp, be able to maintain a good edge, have an excellent action (if folder) and/or a great sheath (if fixed). To me, a knife is a tool and it needs to be able to "work". I carry a knife with me 100% of the time, and I depend on them, so I need reliability and functionality above all else.

So, that said, I do have some strong feelings about edge types and steel types. I don't like serrated knives at all. I like partially serrated knives even less (i.e. half serrated, half regular edge). Truly useless IMHO. Anything a serrated knife can do, you can do better and faster with a regular edge, if you really know how to use a knife. And regarding steel, I generally stay away from Damascus knives; this has probably more to do with my opinions of steels in gun types over knives, but I don't have any Damascus knives. Damascus can also be very difficult to sharpen (back to the 'functionality' thing).

10. Sentinel-14

Sentinel-14 Loaded Pockets

I have not allowed the finish on the blade to be a deal-killer for me, and would not. That said, when given the option of two otherwise identical knives, I'll go with an uncoated blade every time. Coatings wear with enough use so you're back to an uncoated blade eventually anyway. Skip the coating and pass the savings on to me.

In theory, coatings make sense for infrequently-used blades in highly corrosive environments, but that really only applies to steels that can't withstand the corrosion; improvements in metallurgy over the last century have spawned many fairly corrosion-resistant steels, making the need for a coating superfluous.

I have coated fixed blade knives (mostly Beckers and a couple of Bucks), and on the ones I really use the coating is coming off with use. I dont mind: it's evidence the knife actually gets used instead of sitting in a box or bag all the time. I do not, and would not, intentionally strip a coating though: the coating will come off where it needs to come off thru use, and wherever it doesn't get worn off gets just that little bit of extra protection.

I have only one coated pocket knife: it's part of a rotating stable of EDC knives, but it doesn't see a lot of use so the coating is still intact, albeit somewhat scratched from the use it has seen. Again, I don't mind the wear: it's evidence of use, and the steel beneath is CPM-154CM so I'm not worried about corrosion.

I prefer no coating at all, but if there has to be one (for whatever reason) I'd prefer a smooth, slick coating like Titanium Nitride (though I hate the gold tint) or DLC: thick epoxy coatings like ESEE and Becker use tend to stick and smear when doing woodcraft out in the field. My BK9 would be a much better field-expedient draw-knife if the coating wasn't trying to stick to the wood.

Coatings aren't a deal-killer, but I do try to avoid them.

11. adnj

adnj Loaded Pockets

It depends on the steel and the use. For my high carbon field knives, I prefer a coating. I prefer the coating to be black or grey. The coating helps to slow corrosion. The coating only wears off where it gets used so corrosion gets worn off too.

For a pocket blade or a short fixed blade, no real preference.

Sent from my LG-V520 using Tapatalk

12. xevious

xevious Loaded Pockets

I agree that for food prep, I'm much more partial to either a polished or semi-satin finish. No coatings. For EDC? Doesn't really matter. The blade edge is going to be doing all the work. So the finish becomes more about aesthetics. Generally I've tried to avoid black coated blades because of expectations that bad enough scratches are going to show up enough to be an eyesore. A stonewash finish is nice because it'll hide some imperfections introduced by usage.

Recently I picked up a BHQ exclusive variant of the CRKT Squid. It has a copper colored coating to the blade, studs, back spacer, and clip. It's such an attractive look. And it makes the blade a little more muted than something like polished steel. Doesn't call for attention. More EDC friendly in case of deployment in public places.

13. ZMZ67

ZMZ67 Loaded Pockets

I don't have any issues with stonewashed but I do not care for blade coatings especially on stainless where they really are not necessary for corrosion protection. I won't completely rule out a coated blade but haven't purchased one in a long time. The only recent knives I have with coated blades are gifts from a friend. Coatings can be beneficial with non-stainless steel but for me they are aesthetically unappealing.

echo victor likes this.