1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

black sog multi-tool

Discussion in 'MultiTools and Other Pocket Tools' started by God.loves.ugly, Nov 9, 2010.

1. God.loves.ugly

God.loves.ugly Empty Pockets

I have the opportunity to get any black sog multi tool for 48$ anyone have long term experience with them? do they last how is the black coating?

2. greymethod

greymethod Loaded Pockets

Which model?

The coating will rub off of the tools with general use IE the tips of the screwdrivers and head of the pliers. It does look good and I do think that it keeps any sign of rust off of the tool.

3. God.loves.ugly

God.loves.ugly Empty Pockets

I could get any, I guess even the ones that aren't black but I think I want the PowerLock EOD w/V-Cutter (Black Oxide)

4. Madpayas0

Madpayas0 Empty Pockets

FWIW my Gerber has seen heavy use and still looks almost new.

5. TheRifleman

TheRifleman Loaded Pockets

I have a SOG S62 and it's an amazing heavy duty tool. It's a litle heavy for an EDC but I do anyway, the black oxide will wear over time but SOG stands behind their gear and it wont fail you. Go for it, the black oxide looks nice.

FWIW I replaced the leather sheath with their nylon one, it's a litle softer and easier on my old side.

6. WARFIST

WARFIST Banned

cant go wrong with a sog...im getting myself the black oxide powerlock with v cutter for xmas....enjoy and plz take some pictures and maybe a review of what you think of it...

7. recklesstryg

recklesstryg Loaded Pockets

I have use a Sog PowerLock Black oxide for 2 years now and there is a little bit of wear off mainly on the edges and the bolts, not really anywhere else.

8. Marlinaholic

Marlinaholic Loaded Pockets

Black oxide tools will make your hands black for a while when the tool is brand new, but they eventually quit doing that after enough wears off and are quite nice looking to boot.

9. greymethod

greymethod Loaded Pockets

I have the same one. It's a heavy thing but my go to tool when I am fixing things.

10. rule303

rule303 Empty Pockets

+1 on the SOG powerlock EOD with V-cutter. I got my nephew one when he graduated from AIT. He maintains the weapons on helicopters for a very high speed/low drag special operations outfit and the tool sees very hard, very real world use. He loves the tool and the v-cutter gets used to to stuff well beyond what I suspect it was designed for. The rest of the guys in his shop all use Gerbers and are pretty constantly hitting him up to borrow his SOG becasue of the v cutter. Also, $48 is an exteremely, extremely godd price for that tool.

11. WARFIST

WARFIST Banned

sog multi tools are the best period! i like em better than leather man ...tho i do love my swiss tool! i think if i had to pick one multi tool to go thru life with it would be a black oxide powerlock with the v cutter!

12. pilsnerman

pilsnerman Loaded Pockets

I say go for it . In my opinion any place the black wears off is like a badge of honer of hard use and the durablility of the tool. I think the Sog Powerlocks is the best full size multi-tool on the market and the black oxide just makes it plane cool looking .

13. SinCal559

SinCal559 Loaded Pockets

If you do get one and decide you want a stainless EOD Powerlock I'll trade ya!!:trampoline: