1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Black or Blue??

Discussion in 'Pens, Pencils, Notebooks, and Notebook Covers' started by umc, Jan 9, 2011.

1. flashlite

flashlite Loaded Pockets

I'm always signing contracts, legal documents etc. and if they request a color, it's always been blue. It's easier to tell if it's an original or a copy that way.

2. takenaway

takenaway Loaded Pockets

I prefer blue, use both though

3. BlackGold

BlackGold Loaded Pockets

I prefer blue, to me it's easier to read my notes

4. robertrock

robertrock Loaded Pockets

Black mostly. For company expense reports I have to use non-black ink. So last time I signed it in purple.

What else am I gonna do with those green and purple pens in the 4-pack of Zebras.

5. bpa

bpa Loaded Pockets

+1 Same situation

6. mattp

mattp Loaded Pockets

I've been using black almost exclusively for so long now i hadn't even really thought about what colour I preferred. Now that you mention it though, I think I prefer blue! Maybe it's a case of the grass is always greener. I might start doing my study notes in blue for something different.
    The reason for my use of black is that I work in medicine and you are supposed to make your chart entries in black only since it's a legal document.

7. freedoom

freedoom Loaded Pockets

Since i switched to a fountain pen i have discovered this wonderful color called "blue/black" it's a very dark blue.

8. xtrajack

xtrajack Loaded Pockets

9. Chopper

Chopper Loaded Pockets

Red, because its special.

It must be special as my bank manager keeps writing to me in red ;)

10. wolfstyle

wolfstyle Loaded Pockets

LOL. I prefer black. Just seems more professional to me.

wolfstyle

11. RollaFool

RollaFool Loaded Pockets

Same here; I use Conway Stewart's brown in my Parker 51, for the same reasons. For my other non-fountain pens I use black refills, though honestly until I saw this thread I never really gave it much thought as to why. Habit, I guess. Maybe it's time to shake that up -- as soon as I use up the last of the black refills I just bought!

Oh, and I also use red for editing. Another old habit...

12. PBJS II

PBJS II Loaded Pockets

I'm pretty much going to carry one pen at a time. I'm a black ink lover and generally change any pen I like to black.

THAT said I am looking for a nice 3 or 4 color pen. 3 with a pencil would do it. In that case it would be black, blue and green.

I have some really good refills in orange, pink, red, blue, green and purple. They are all in pen bodies of the same color.

13. Jonb74

Jonb74 Loaded Pockets

Blue ink for me. Stands out more than black and you can instantly tell it's not a photocopy.

14. aldo_vic_t

aldo_vic_t Loaded Pockets

Same with me

15. Kilted1

Kilted1 Loaded Pockets

Color copiers have made this debate irrelevant. In the "Old Days" blues didn't copy well and certain shades of blue wouldn't copy at all which was a boon to the graphics industry since they could do markups using a "Photo blue" pencil and not have to worry about erasing.

Since copiers and printers conventionally use black, signatures in blue are preferred so copies can be easily separated from originals. I've seen some forms that specify "non-blue" or "non-black" ink, usually the presumption is that it will be the other but any color will do.

Most of my pens have black. For my fountain pens, I mix my own custom color ink, usually 3/4 green, 1/4 blue and just a drop or two of black.

16. mooshi
    • In Omnia Paratus

mooshi Loaded Pockets

For forms and signatures, unless otherwise stated, I use blue ink. For writing (such as homework and essays) I use black ink. For every day writing (fountain pen) I actually quite like brown ink.

Oh yeah. And I'm really digging the purple RSVP pens my sister just got me. :) I didn't know they came in a gel variety - I've always just used their fine ballpoint.

17. Pseudonym

Pseudonym Loaded Pockets

I prefer black, though the original/copy thing does make a lot of sense (don't have to deal with that personally, though :p).

If you prefer blue but have to use black, why don't you carry 2 of your pens - one with a blue refill and one with a black one?

18. PBJS II

PBJS II Loaded Pockets

I suppose that would be possible, but I carry my Samsung mostly in my shirt pocket and one pen is plenty!

19. CatherineM
    • In Omnia Paratus

CatherineM Loaded Pockets

I love different colors. I find changing helps with eye strain.

20. houdini28

houdini28 Loaded Pockets

I prefer to write in black and take notes in black. If I annotate my notes I will use another color, typically green as it stands out from the rest. I understand using blue for signatures to distinguish between copies and originals, but it is rarely an issue for my workplace.