1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Black coated knives

Discussion in 'Knives' started by Darth_Revan, Nov 16, 2020.

1. Darth_Revan

Darth_Revan Loaded Pockets

Ok, some might see by my small knife carry topic that I am worried about scratching my knife. I edc a small boker otf, and I love it. My previous edc knife were also an otf, an italian AKC mini concord. But it wasn't black coated.
    Well, actually it was, but I sanded it to get a metalic look, and obviously it didn't look exactly like a chrome one. It wasn't very pretty. Now, with the boker, it is a very good knife with a very good look. And I really like to carry it with the keychain. So I have a few options to deal with the coat:

- Leave it that way, with metal parts showing, afterall a knife is a tool and any tool that get used will show wear signs. What you guys think?

- Paint it with a black spray now and then. I have a can of black spray paint, but I don't know if it will stick to the knife. Anyone experienced with that?

- Remove the black coat. Ok, this is a bit harder. I don't know exactly how to remove the black coat (don't want to sand it). The only time I removed the paint of something like that was with my carabin. I submerged it in a chemical mixture (can't remember the components, but I can google later) and the paint went off. This would be harder to do with the knife, since I would have to remove all its inside mechanisms to avoid any damage.

Here is a picture of the knife:

[​IMG]

Any tips?

2. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

Leave it in its natural state,it is a tool and made to be used.

[​IMG]

Lateck and timcyms like this.
  3. neo71665

neo71665 Loaded Pockets

Leave it.

I haven't handled any boker OTF but I know my benchmade is anodizing and to remove it takes some pretty serious chemicals and if you boo boo it will start attacking the aluminum handles. Paint will not last but a few minutes in a pocket esp next to keys.

4. Darth_Revan

To be fair, your knoves handles aren't worn out. Only the pocket clips..

But yeah, The way my knife is now is ok. But it is very new, got it for a few months now. I'm worried if it gets more worn out to the point where the black coat and the handle metal are about the same proportion.

I guess the paint will go out too very quickly, probably even more than the original coat. Removing the coat is not a good idea ither, since it probably will be really hard to remove all of the coat, and I risk leaving the knife with metal handle with some small areas with coat, which would be even worse.

I guess I'll leave it this way... Unless there is some kind of protection that I can put into the handle that would last enough. Idk, maybe some transparent substance that would cover it?

5. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

Well I assumed you were talking about the blade even though you didn't show the blade.
    Same thinking though to me why not look used if it is used?

Here you go is this better?

[​IMG]

6. Darth_Revan

Yes. I can see now that your knife indeed is worn out. It still looks pretty though. I don't know if in my black one it will look that pretty, since the contrast is bigger. I guess only time will tell.

And I were talking about the handle, since the blade doesn't get scratched when inside the pocket, since the blade is fully covered by the handle.

7. aicolainen

aicolainen Loaded Pockets

I’m pretty sure you’ll like it better and better the more you scratch it up.
    If I’m wrong and you get to a point where you don’t, then that’s a nice opportunity to learn how to work with cerakote or similar products.

8. SuzukiGS750EZ

SuzukiGS750EZ Loaded Pockets

I love the look of a used knife. Just as I admire tools that are worn out by the hands that use them. Showing how much a tool is used is awesome. Dropping it on the ground sucks and isn't wear i want, but wearing off a finish because of pocket wear or use is something to be proud of. My guns all have holster wear from going in and out of the holster during practice and I'm proud of that.

9. Lateck

Lateck Loaded Pockets

Unless a Blade is a closet queen and you're saving it for value, use the knife! Allow it to show it's use.
    A used knife shows a useful man!

10. Diezel

Diezel Loaded Pockets

Only had this a few months. Use it for everything. Looks better used than new. [​IMG]

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk

Lateck likes this.
  11. plumberroy

plumberroy Loaded Pockets

It's a knife it's a tool ment to be used . It is meant to used honest wear adds character

Boy SureFire and Lateck like this.