1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Bits and more

Discussion in 'Keychain Tools' started by WillAdams, Sep 9, 2019.

Tags:
  1. WillAdams

WillAdams Loaded Pockets

Curious if other folks are carrying 1/4" hex bits, and if so, how --- after a long while, I've managed to adjust my EDC so that I pretty much have every bit I'm likely to need in my pockets (fortunately I don't usually need security bits):

- CRKT Getaway Driver
    - PH#1
    - PH#2
    - medium flat (3mm x 0.75mm)
    - large flat (5mm x 1mm) --- turns out this overlaps with my Rangerwood 55's flat screwdriver, but the convenience of the ratchet (see below) dictates keeping it)
    - 1/4" driver
    - 3/8" hex opening
    - O2 wrench

- SwissTech Utilikey
    - PH#0

- Everratchet
    - 4mm hex bit

- 3 Bitkys (wish I'd gone for 4 or 5, but not sure what I'd add/subtract)
    - PH#3
    - Torx T30 --- may swap this out for a 6mm hex
    - 5mm hex bit

Last edited by WillAdams, Sep 9, 2019
    #1 WillAdams, Sep 9, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2019
    Tony Sal likes this.
  2. koni

koni Loaded Pockets

I keep a Wiha 75992 on hand this covers most of my needs.

WillAdams likes this.
  3. WillAdams

WillAdams Loaded Pockets

Tony Sal likes this.
  4. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

But you do not carry this in pocket either I bet?

I would love to find a decent way to carry bits all the time.

I carry a Centerdrive all the time in a Skinth but the bit holder that came with it is junk already and it is tough to find another that I think I can live with.

I do have this with me in the truck but it is not really the same as in pocket.

The Klein 10 in 1 is pretty amazing for this too but still clunky for pocket carry most of the time and it is only really good with its own double sided bits but the whole package is pretty good anyway.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited by EZDog, Sep 10, 2019
    #4 EZDog, Sep 10, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2019
  5. WillAdams

WillAdams Loaded Pockets

Yeah, the whole bit storage thing is full of products with tradeoffs, but nothing really stands out to me as an ideal solution (the bifurcated divided set I've arrived at above works from a pocketability angle (it's all there, everyday), but fails on a usability evaluation (it takes me a while to dig out a bit which isn't on the Getaway driver) --- really would like to find (or work up) something which:

- allows easy carry in a pocket w/o wearing holes in clothing or losing bits (had to buy a second Get-away driver to get replace the PH#1 after it vanished)
    - allows easy identification/access/customization
    - is efficient space-wise (the Bitky is kind of bulky for the number of bits stored)

There are some interesting products in this space:

- BigiDesign's Bit-Bar
    - Peter Atwood's Bitbucket
    - Kershaw had one which was discontinued --- their new TX-tool uses 4mm bits which is an interesting thought

and there are some cool things for bikes such as the PB Swiss BikeTool (also available from Victorinox), or the Silca T-Ratchet (which depends on a small pouch to hold things), or the new Fix it sticks with bracket (holds 16 bits, but isn't what I'd consider pocketable unfortunately).

Tony Sal likes this.
  6. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

It is frustrating trying to find affordable options for pocket carry.
    I like the ones you list for sure but only the Bitbar is on the market really right now and I am just not going to pay that much for what it is.

I too started thinking about this as a spin off of the Bike Tools that I use and somehow those seem to offer a lot more tool for a lot less money,The Topeak being some great examples of this.

Honestly the Cybertool seem to give the best range of function in a true design for Pocket Carry of anything that I have used for a while.
    It would just be about ideal if there were full size Bit Holders as an option on them.
    On the other hand the Vic driver kits are pretty slick for what they are too,maybe I just need bigger pockets?

WillAdams likes this.
  7. WillAdams

WillAdams Loaded Pockets

And, since a picture is worth 1,000 words:

[​IMG]

The EverRatchet works quite well, and fortuitously, the ball-bearing from the knurled 1/4" bit holder from the Getaway driver fits it so as to hold the bit driver and keep it from dropping out, and the bit holder prevents the bit from pushing through (which is something I've always misliked about most pocket tools).

Nick4305 likes this.
  8. ghbrumbaugh

ghbrumbaugh Loaded Pockets

What's the silver stick?

9. WillAdams

WillAdams Loaded Pockets

Two of the three Bitkys held together by some additional bits inside --- you can see the third (no bits) to the left w/ the clip on it.

ghbrumbaugh likes this.
  10. PragmaticMurphyist

PragmaticMurphyist Loaded Pockets

I'm sure I saw someone carrying a few bits in a plastic straw with one of its ends heat-sealed and another section of heat-sealed straw pushed over the open end. I can't remember the thread and I don't know if it was a normal diameter straw or a smoothie straw.

Not the most durable or long term solution, but for carry inside a pouch or in a bag's pen slot then it might be worth a look.

That Movie Guy and WillAdams like this.
  11. WillAdams

WillAdams Loaded Pockets

Yeah, I have a length of brass tubing I use to organize some seldom-used bits in an Altoids tin --- mislike using it since access entails dumping them all out (but at least I can do that into the tin lid).

12. PragmaticMurphyist

PragmaticMurphyist Loaded Pockets

It'd patina rather better than a plastic straw too! :D

WillAdams likes this.
  13. aicolainen

aicolainen Loaded Pockets

Interesting topic.
    Im not a big user of bits/screwdrivers during office hours, but I need them from time to time and have been looking for options for quite some time.
    The Ti EDS was the first one to come along that I really feel I can implement in my EDC in a meaningful way. I haven’t exactly planned in detail how that will happen, but I joined the kickstarter, so hopefully I find a way to make it work.

I’m still on the lookout for tools to use in car-kits, range bags etc, and maybe even extend my work kit, so it´s nice to get more insight in whats out there.

WillAdams likes this.
  14. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

There are certainly some compact newer options in the cycling arena that I had not seen before but I can not find any here to check out in person yet either.

https://ride.lezyne.com/collections/multi-tools/products/1-mt-stdr-v104t5

http://www.mineralbikes.com/shop/mini-bar-multi-tool

and of course the PB Swiss/Vic Bike Tool is pretty compelling too along with the Fixit Sticks and imitators but the real problem seems to be carrying bits in pocket which the Lezyne seems pretty smart about to me.

I really like a lot of the options laid out here but I am slow to spend this much too for this little in return?

WillAdams likes this.
  15. WillAdams

WillAdams Loaded Pockets

The Lezyne Storage drive is neat, but doesn't save that much space/weight over a Fix it Stick, and I find the symmetry of the latter more appealing --- the Silca T-ratchet offers similar functionality, and is more regimented in its flexibility which I prefer.

I can see the appeal for a road bike though, and I think it fit well in a jersey pocket.

The Mineral Bikes Minibar is neat, but seems bulky/heavy in comparison to the PB Swiss Bike Tool, which is lighter, and adds tire levers (I find mine nice enough to carry on my bike in a "Ranger band" (length of inner tube)) with an 8mm Motion Pro titanium combination wrench.