1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Bite my nails - which tool to get

Discussion in 'MultiTools and Other Pocket Tools' started by FLHunter3006, Feb 16, 2009.

1. FLHunter3006

FLHunter3006 Empty Pockets

Sad to say but I don't have nails....presently I have a leatherman wave that althought I love, I have a hard time getting the tools opened, Which multi-tool can I get that the tools are easy to open wihout the need for nails. Thanks in advance
    Ps. Is to wear on my belt....

2. parnass

parnass Loaded Pockets

Perhaps you can heat up the Wave's screws (to loosen the thread locker), then loosen the screws just enough to permit the individual tools to move more easily.

The technique worked with my SOG PowerLock and older Leatherman Tools.

3. InspektorGadget

InspektorGadget Loaded Pockets

I have that unfortunate habit too. It also stops me from being able to open Swiss Army Knives without using my teeth. I carry a Gerber and don't have too much trouble getting the implements out. It's a little harder on the smaller sport version but still doable and no problem on the full size. Plus the pliers open one handed on Gerbers

4. Manatakui

Manatakui Loaded Pockets

I don't know how it is for other Juice models, but my KF4 is quite easy to open for my lack of nails; the only tool that is slightly difficult to open is the tiny screwdriver, but you have to pull out one of the other standard drivers to open the tiny one, anyway.

Oh, and if it matters, the Lanyard Attachment is nearly impossible to open, nails or not, without a pen or other tool. ^^;

5. FeebleOldMan

FeebleOldMan Loaded Pockets

The bottle opener and the large bit holder on my Charge TTi started off nail-breakingly stiff too, so I just took one of the spare bits they gave and used it to dig the tools out at first. After opening and closing them rapidly for a few times, they kinda loosened up enough for me to use my nails fingertips ;D

6. Rocket Jones

Rocket Jones Empty Pockets

According to some on the forum, this is what the pico widgie was invented for! :highfive:

7. choubbi

choubbi Loaded Pockets

Get a Wenger Esquire, or Victorinox classic, and... Cut and file those nails when you feel the need to bite them!
    It worked for me, and it's still what keeps my nails in a good shape.
    I would hate to have to avoid the Swisstool Spirit because of my nails.

If you want to keep biting your nails, sorry for this useless post.

8. znapschatz

znapschatz Loaded Pockets

Easiest to access implements without fingernails I have found is the Leatherman Core. Most tools and blades you can get out with the flat of your thumb. If you like big multitool (I do), this could be the easiest to work with of them all.

9. BIG-TARGET

BIG-TARGET Empty Pockets

Get yourself a new LM, Perhaps the Micra, so you can trim/file you nails :angel:

10. youngheart80

youngheart80 Loaded Pockets

Have you tried lubing the tool yet? I have an old style Wave and it was never easy to open till about two weeks ago after I decided to clean and lubricate it. Washed it down good and then WD-40 everywhere. Wiped it down and now everything is smooth as can be. Try that first before you start looking at other tools.

11. foxy

foxy Empty Pockets

I dont mean to sound like an :censored: but maybe this is a good excuse and motivation to stop biting your nails. It looks disgusting and is unhealthy because you keep putting your dirty fingers in your mouth and you expose skin on the fingers that lets bacteria enter through it. I used to bite my nails as a teenager and I stopped a long time ago.

12. FLHunter3006

Thanks for all the replies, a lot of good ideas, I am trying to loosen up the tools to see if I don't have to look for another tool, and yes "Foxy" I am going to try AGAIN not to bite my nails, but I've tried before and It always fails!. Been doing it for too many years...... But I'll try it again...
    Just wish that the Wave was easier, in fact only one of the tools has a nail slot ( the can opener) the other ones are flat. so even a person with nails will have a hard time. Bad design in my opinion...
    Thanks again!

13. XeroTheHero

XeroTheHero Loaded Pockets

Maybe you could try to see if its possible to send it off to Leatherman to have "Fixed"? I'm sure they would be able to get everything back in working order for you.

I personally EDC a Wave and love it to death. I'm currently in the market for the black version of the Wave, just for looks, haha.

14. FeebleOldMan

FeebleOldMan Loaded Pockets

Have you tried this?

15. elkhills

elkhills Loaded Pockets

Try using the edge of a house key to open the Leatherman blades. And stop biting your nails.

16. tempmj

tempmj Loaded Pockets

I used to have a bad habit of biting my nails. It was primarily due to little knicks on the edge or rough parts (particularly on the sides just from growth). Whenever there was a sharp point, i'd end up biting it, and then it would be uneven, and i'd bite it more, until it was all gone. My solution was to force myself to use nail clippers and a file. I kept one with me the first few months so every time i would have a rough point i'd file it or clip it. If i did bite it, i'd clip it to a clean edge rather than bite until there was nothing left. initially i could only force myself to keeping one nail "perfect", then two, then gradually until i didn't do it anymore (mostly). I'll occasionally bite one or two if i'm not paying attention, but i believe i'm nail biting free for a few years now.

Hope this may help.

17. FLHunter3006

Very good ideas, really appreciate it!. I've tried different products, which work ( best one so far is Bite It, I think it was from CVS) very bad tasting and it stays in your skin for a very LONG time. My problem with those products is that yes it stops me from bitting them, but eventually when they grow, unconsciously I'll "rip" the nails off with another nail, just to have nails to open knives would be one of the big pluses.
    After reading all your posts, I'll try it again.will keep you posted.
    PS. it happens that I wrote leatherman an email this morning asking if maybe the new wave was easier to open (mine is about 2 years old), or if they had a different model with easier to open tools....
    Thanks again guys

18. Nate320

Nate320 Loaded Pockets

I too have this unfortunate habit, and I EDC a SAK. I now have one awkward looking right thumb because it is the only finger with a nail :lolhammer:. I'm not going to be a hypocrite and tell you to stop, just stop biting the nails you need to open the knife. ;).

:luck:

-Nate

19. ScottAW

ScottAW Loaded Pockets

If your 2 year old tool is tough to open, sounds like you've been neglecting maintenance for awhile. About every 2 months i take my edc out, clean out any gunk, and relube EVERYTHING with nano-oil (any good, light lube will work) and sharpen anything that needs it. All my tools are in good shape and never bind up or rust.

My flashlights get a similar treatment every month or so.

20. jimboinwv

jimboinwv Loaded Pockets

I always EDC my P-38 can opener. Have had the same one in my pocket since the 70's. The bottom edge of the P-38 makes a very good assist-opener for about all the multi-tools. Never know when you will need to open a can, and it's always there.