1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Biometric Pistol Safes

Discussion in 'Electronic Devices' started by Red Horn, Nov 12, 2011.

1. Red Horn

Red Horn Loaded Pockets

Any idea which is better?

GunVault GVB1000 or 9G Products InPrint (US made)

2. mightywombat

mightywombat Loaded Pockets

Speaking as a locksmith, don't buy biometrics. Biometric locks have a 70% positive success rate, at least at the price point that the common consumer will be paying. Do you really want to worry about a 30% chance of your safe denying you access to your weapon in the case that you need it? Also, that 70% is under ideal circumstances, meaning if you cut your finger or the screen is dirty or your hands are cold it will be even less likely to work.

TLDR: The technology just isn't there yet. Don't buy it.

3. Red Horn

Red Horn Loaded Pockets

Willing to give it a try. Other options seem slim to non-existant. Have to have pistol secured for approval ;~)

The bio-scanner we use at work to secure keys in a vault has not failed me after hundreds of uses.

Key and combo safes would be way too slow to open IMO.

4. mightywombat

Look at the combo versions of the Gun Vault, the GV 1000 and GV 2000. They give quick access with a key override. I would stress again that consumer biometrics are not reliable enough yet for securing a ready weapon.

5. grayman

grayman Loaded Pockets

6. mightywombat

I can vouch for the mechanical Simplex combo locks being good, well made locks. The Lockheed facility here in Orlando uses the same kind of lock to secure its classified areas.

7. Red Horn

Red Horn Loaded Pockets

Thanks grayman,

That box looks promising. I assume you push buttons in a specific sequence to open?

8. Jbum

Jbum Loaded Pockets

This is the best answer. I had a bio safe never could get it 100% reliable and yes it is a sequence that you choose.

9. grayman

grayman Loaded Pockets

That is correct. You set your own combination.

10. chavez

chavez Loaded Pockets

I have the GV1000 in my bedroom. Since the buttons are spaced in a form shaped like fingers, I can find the buttons in the dark easily and since the combo can have multiple buttons pressed simultaneously it can make for a more difficult combination for someone to figure out. My combo is a set of four multi button presses and I can open it in less than 3 seconds. The spring loaded door pops open when unlocked. I like this pistol safe a lot.

11. Omning

Omning Loaded Pockets

I don't know if the finger-print scanners they use are the same ones they tested on Mythbusters or not, but the one they had they were able to defeat very simply.

12. KempoEMT

KempoEMT Loaded Pockets

I honestly would stay away from the Gunvault's. They have an issue where the spring that pops them open; fails.

13. TARFU
    • In Omnia Paratus

TARFU EDC!!!!! Junkie

I have that same kind of mechanism on a gun vault that I got as a promotion with my Beretta back in 2001. Yeah, sometimes tried and true works best. The only issue I have with it is my wife sometimes forgets the combo because she doesn't access it as often. I will probably buy her one with numbers for her gun that we just purchased.

14. cyberhh

cyberhh Loaded Pockets

I used to work for a Biometric startup and I would NEVER recommend the use of biometrics for something where seconds really matter. The cheaper units do not have the processing power to deal with more than a few degrees of rotation or "bad" fingerprints. The best fingerprints show when the angle of view is exactly the same as the time it was recorded and very high contrast. That is great if I am storing documents, a camera or any of a dozen things, not okay when milliseconds matter and someone is in my house when they should not be. I also recommend the GV series of safes.