1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Bill's Urban Wallet

Discussion in 'Other Every Day Carry Items' started by xxecatxx, Oct 14, 2009.

1. nbmaine2007

nbmaine2007 Loaded Pockets

umm, then raise your prices. If demand is so overwhelming, you should have no problem doing so, and actually are crazy not to. I think maybe you need some Sales 101 classes before you recommend Jon get some marketing advice.

I had one and sold it. While it's a neat concept, they really are overpriced and not very practical at all. I'd guess there are several forum members who have them, and don't use them. Maybe we should take one and set-up a pass-around of the item to other members. I think most will see that it's not really something that they'd spend their hard-earned money on.

2. MetalMork

MetalMork Loaded Pockets

I dare disagree.
    Bill's wallet quickly replaced my all-ett one. I wear it in my front pants' pocket (so it's more secure against pickpockets), it carries my leatherman sideclip, my atwood gasbaby, my cards and money, a mini-thin moleskine, my Solingen nailclipper, and a backup battery for my nokia phone.

So I think it all depends, each of us has personal preferences as far as our EDC is concerned and I am quite satisfied with my Urban Wallet. It is well worth its money.

^M^

3. Caveman
    • In Omnia Paratus

Caveman Loaded Pockets

If we had a pass around then I could copy the pattern and make my own. :-X
    Or at least make one to fit my needs. I have not done so already because I was waiting for this deal to go through.
    If anyone has one and will take pics of it inside out that would help some of us work out some details.
    Maybe we could produce a tutorial on how to make one.
    I for one could get one started, if anyone would like to help out even better.

4. RacerX

RacerX Loaded Pockets

Now is when Bill starts flaunting his "patent"

Because, you know, noone has *ever* made a pouch like his...

Please.

5. bltkmt

bltkmt Loaded Pockets

While I like his product, I have found Bill very difficult to deal with. His site, and many reviews across the web, flaunt how he can easily make custom modifications to the product. However, when I have asked him for anything other than his standard product he quickly turns surly and complains that he is not my personal seamstress. W-T-F? Don't claim to be flexible then!

6. robbyy

robbyy Loaded Pockets

Instead of dealing with Bill, why not just get a Mission Wallet? Better materials (leather, ostrich, stingray) and no hassles. Same basic design...Have one in brown leather and love it.

7. bltkmt

bltkmt Loaded Pockets

I have looked at the Mission Wallet, but aren't they quite a bit smaller than the Urban Wallet?

8. ky70

ky70 Loaded Pockets

Small world. I had a very similar experience with Bill a few weeks ago. Discussed my ideas over the phone with him and he liked my ideas and said he would try to make my request in the next week. So I contact him after a week just to ask how things were going, and he does a 180 on me and tells me he's too busy and doesn't do custom designs and to contact his distributers if I want one of his wallets. Umm, ok?

Oh, and I got the line about not being a seamstress too...as well as not wanting the reputation for accepting other peoples designs. Totally threw me for a loop as the guy I spoke with on the phone for 15 minutes about wallets and life was excited about my idea and didn't display this short patience for customer communications. It was as if the person answering the emails was a totally different person.

9. robbyy

robbyy Loaded Pockets

Slightly bigger around than a creditcard. Mine holds a spacepen and a flashlight de jour or a folder. 3-6 cards and some cash in the zipper pocket. Works ok for US currency.

10. nbmaine2007

nbmaine2007 Loaded Pockets

He came in here once and was spouting off about something ridiculous. I think complaining that his prices were already too low, so he couldn't do a group discount. Here's an idea...if your prices are too low, raise them.

11. RacerX

RacerX Loaded Pockets

gotta admit my Bill's is still going strong...

12. charlie fox

charlie fox Loaded Pockets

I own one, but it was like pulling teeth to get it. I had called Bill and discussed a custom model, however after discussing it we determined one of the standard models would suffice. At the time he didn't have the color I wanted in stock, but he assured me he was creating a batch and it would be two-three weeks. No worries; I provided my payment information and settled back to await my purchase. After 60 days without a delivery (but the charge on my card went through) I recalled Bill, who told me he had been swamped, was a one-man show and would get my wallet out to me that day. 3 weeks later - no delivery. Another call - this time Bill was fairly rude saying that he was very busy and phone calls slowed him down. I reminded him I had already paid for the item and if he couldn't provide the service I wanted a refund. He again said he would ensure the wallet went out that day. A week later my purchase arrived.

Great items, wonderful workmanship, **** poor customer service. The one I own has many many miles on it. Too bad it will be the only one I ever own.

13. TomWelch

TomWelch Loaded Pockets

You call this man, he never has the color you want
    and is difficult to deal with, so I gave up.

14. maxray

maxray Loaded Pockets

He was rude to me as well, but his design is truly one of a kind, so I overlooked it (rare for me, as I will typically pay a premium for good service and not a big fan of bad service) and ordered it from a supplier who sells his wallets - turned out to be shipped from Bill directly, but it was better for me not to deal with him directly.

15. autopoint

autopoint Loaded Pockets

Months back there was an ebay seller with a few of Bill's wallets being auctioned at any given time, though they were gradually declining in final price. I was lucky to snag what I think was the last one sold through that account for around $5. I haven't seen them on ebay since, but I don't check that often.

Anecdote aside, it's a smart bit of kit that I'm even more keen on due to the low price. That said, I doubt I'd go through the trouble of having one personally made/shipped.

16. robertrock

robertrock Loaded Pockets

I'd really like to have one of these, any color, but after hearing the horror stories I'm gonna pass. It's a real shame, he has a super product but can't deal with people. He should really stay behind the scenes and get someone else to handle the business/take orders.

17. freeride

freeride Loaded Pockets

Odd, I must have caught him in a good week. I emailed him about one (around Christmas 2010) and although he did make some comment about not doing custom work anymore, and email being the best way to contact him, I ordered and it arrived immediately. I like it a lot.

18. Redstarny

Redstarny Empty Pockets

These do seem perfect, but I don't think I want to deal with this guy. Too bad its a patented design.

19. NeonLights

NeonLights Loaded Pockets

20. ky70

ky70 Loaded Pockets

Win lose proposition for me. I would get the product that meets my needs but I would be supporting his buisness. I don't want to reward his horrible CS so I'm still hunting for altrenatives.