1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Bikers Revenge handlebar plugs

Discussion in 'The Breakroom' started by Chief-Yeah, Dec 6, 2009.

1. Chief-Yeah

Chief-Yeah Loaded Pockets

2. RacerX

RacerX Loaded Pockets

I've had some drivers pass me by that deserved that treatment...

3. Coaster

Coaster Empty Pockets

:iagree:

Yeah when their mirror hits you in the arm it's a little too close. Especially when there isn't even on-coming traffic and they have room to move over.

4. jehan60188

jehan60188 Loaded Pockets

+1
    drivers like that are obviously doing it on purpose. if anything, you should take their picture, and a picture of their plates. It'll freak 'em out at the very least; and at best, you can post it on various local cycling message boards

FTA;
    in all seriousness though.

http://www.spoofscript.com/dev/couragewolf/couragewolf.inc.php?line1=kill+rude+drivers&line2=open+the+roads+for+cyclists&size=15

5. Stutoffee

Stutoffee Loaded Pockets

Disgraceful.

Ive had cyclists bash my mirrors when theyve been weaving through traffic, & I always try to give cycles a wide berth.
    Ive even had one cheeky sod balancing on his bike in a traffic jam & holding himself upright by hanging onto my car!

Me - (winding down the leccy window) "Oi!, Gettoff"

Cyclist - "Whats your problem?"

Me - YOURE my problem, so get the*&%$ OFF my car! Ive just washed & waxed it"

Ive even spoken to cyclists who carry large ball bearings to throw at cars.

I know we've got alot of cyclists on here, but Im sorry, generally theyre NOT my favourite road-user & I think they cause an awful lot of accidents.
    I dont think its right that ANY idiot can just get on a bike & cause havoc on the roads when a car driver (of which, admittedly, there are also alot of idiots!) has got to pass a test, pay road tax, car insurance & (in the UK, at least!) pay a small fortune for ruddy petrol!

6. jehan60188

"ruddy petrol" is the reason lots of people get bikes
    and in the US, cars pay taxes that go to maintaining the roads, but it's not enough in most jurisdictions (that is, other taxes go towards it, too)
    and there ARE rules that cyclists have to obey. in most jurisdictions, they essentially have the same rights and responsibilities as a car.
    I don't balance myself on other cars. I even yield to other cars. but I fully support people that carry things like ball bearings, because there ARE (and I have experienced it first hand) rude motorists who try to run us off the road. It's a matter of self defense.

the cyclist you describe is out of line, but that doesn't mean all cyclists (or even the majority of cyclists) act that way

7. tinyblob

tinyblob Loaded Pockets

Lets not get too heated about the cyclist versus driver debate. I am personally neither, and i'll say right now that there are plenty of bad eggs on both of your sides!

I cannot "support" or even understand why a cyclist would carry a ball bearing to "defend" themselves. That to me reeks of the intent to cause harm, which I personally cannot condone. Not sure how one protects themselves with a ball bearing except by damaging a car in a way that could injure others.

Lets err on the side of caution in this thread, and try not to discuss harm to others or flame different road users.

8. Stutoffee

Stutoffee Loaded Pockets

Im sure that any cyclists smart & savvy enough to be on THIS site, WOULD obey the rules of the road, but I do see alot that dont (and, lots of cars that dont, either!)

Not trying to get into any sort of bikes vs. cars debate here, just making an observation based on personal experiences.

9. Stutoffee

Stutoffee Loaded Pockets

Oh, and DONT even get me started on "PEDESTRIANS" ;D Theyre the biggest menace of ALL! :laugh:

10. jag-engr
    • Administrator

jag-engr Semper Bufo!
    Staff Member

In my area bicycles are legally considered a vehicle. They expect other drivers to watch out for them and "Share the road." I think this is perfectly reasonable. However, cyclist themselves often think they are exempt from inconvenient traffic laws. For instance, many cyclists don't use lights at night, they rarely obey stop signs, often run red lights, and feel free to switch to "pedestrian mode" when traffic is stopped but the crosswalk signal permits pedestrians to cross. I have also seen cyclists yell at pedestrians who are using the sidewalk when the cyclist wants to fly down the sidewalk without slowing down. I have even seen cyclists wreck into pedestrians when I was at a university.

If cyclists want to be considered pedestrians, fine with me. If they want to be considered vehicles, fine with me. If they want to pick and choose the more convenient aspecst of being both a vehicle and a pedestrian, I don't think that's fair.

I agree - this sounds more like a spiteful, vengeful measure than a defensive measure.

11. J4C3

J4C3 Guest

Stutoffee im with you awful,they should be insured by law.the amount that go thru on red or scratch cars,and worst of all dont have lights at night.
    I always give lots of room and respect to cyclists while on the road,like car to them most are ok bu the few that are ,are really bad

Imagine if you had a device fitted to harm cyclists?
    those bar ends may cut into a pedestrian its not like they retract,the right height to really scar a small childs face there is no good excuse to be kitted out like that

12. shrap

shrap Loaded Pockets

"Insured by law"? The damage a cyclist can do is pitiful compared to the damage a car can do. Making it a law to require insurance doesn't prevent bad drivers or cyclists being on the road.

"Imagine if you had a device fitted to harm cyclists?" You do, it's called a car. Cars run over cyclists and kill them, whereas bicycles cause scratches to cars. I've accidentally hit two cars with my bicycle, it did more damage to me than the car.

Don't even put them on the same level.

13. jehan60188

then maybe you should stay out of a topic that doesn't concern you in any way, or that you don't know anything about?

before you start chastising people for defending themselves, try walking a mile in their shoes. or in this case, riding a mile in their wheels
    lastly- I fully condone "damaging a car in a way that could injure others", when the driver of that car purposely drives dangerously close to you. If someone tries shooting your food out of your fork while you eat because they want your chair, wouldn't you want to defend yourself?

14. jag-engr
    • Administrator

jag-engr Semper Bufo!
    Staff Member

If vigilante cyclists are running around hurtling ball bearings at cars, I say it concerns us all. What if the cyclist misses the car they're aiming at? They could hit a by-stander who is neither a cyclist or a motorist! I'm neither a cop or a robber, but if they start shooting at each other, I'm concerned...

Roadways are intended to be used based on principles of right-of-way and courtesy. They are not intended as a tit-for-tat battleground.

Absolutely. But what if a person accidentally, or even carelessly, bumps into you and makes you choke on your food. Then would they deserve to be attacked? I think not. Cyclists tend to have the mentality that every motorist is out to get them. In truth, most accidents (at least where I'm from) involve motorists just not seeing the cyclist. Are they being careless? Frequently. Are they being malicious? Very rarely.

15. jehan60188

it's not vigilantism, it's self defense. i don't go out looking for a fight, but I am ready in case it finds me.
    Of course I wouldn't want anyone to get caught in my crossfire- aim small, miss small

sure, but trying to run me off the road is not very courteous

you'll get no disagreement there; but it's not hard to tell the difference between a careless driver, and a malicious one. anyone mentally fit to be on the road knows when they are or aren't giving an object sufficient clearance.
    nobody accidentally honks their horn at you, then drives their car close enough for you to throw a hammer through their window

16. shrap

shrap Loaded Pockets

There is no difference between getting run over by a careless motorist or a malicious one. "Not seeing the cyclist" is not a excuse for negligent behavior.

17. yam350

yam350 Loaded Pockets

I drive a van a lot and also cycle fairly often, if I went out of my way to sort out every cyclist that peeves me in my van and every driver that peeves me on my bike, I would have no time to do anything else. Let's face it, there are a lot of crappy drivers out there and also a lot of cyclists who seem to have a chip on their shoulders against drivers and all of them have the same right to be on the road.

If it really did seem to me that a driver had gone out of his way to cram me then I'd get his number and denounce him to the Guardia, no small thing here. On the other hand if I was able to catch him I would have a few words in his ear, just as I have with a couple of sport cyclists who were hogging the road riding slowly 3 abreast in an inappropriate time and place.

As for throwing things at cars while riding a bike, I can only call dumb, the chance of missing and damaging another vehicle of person, or worse causing the offending driver to have an accident involving other innocent parties is too real for it to be worth considering.
    Every cyclist knows what the roads are like, if you can't stand the heat get away from the fire.
    :iagree:

18. jag-engr
    • Administrator

jag-engr Semper Bufo!
    Staff Member

Very well said, yam350. Besides, the cyclist may wreck, too, while trying to fish out a ball bearing, aim, and throw it at a vehicle.

19. Narcosynthesis

Narcosynthesis Loaded Pockets

I both ride and drive, so get to see it from both angles...

In a car cyclists are a nuisance - they generally cannot keep pace with traffic, so on narrower roads cause problems when traffic is slowed to their speed. They also tend to be rather more choosy of the laws that they follow when weaving in and out of cars (which at times even a vigilant driver can be hard pressed to anticipate) or cheating road signals and jumping on pedestrian lights that legally they have no right to.

When on a bike though, cars are a clear and present danger, with many just not paying enough attention, passing too closely when overtaking and not taking as much care as they should. I will admit though, that when on a bike I do cheat a little and do some of the things that annoy car drivers - purely out of self defence and safety. For example, if I am stopped at a large traffic light and the pedestrian signal goes off, I will use it, either by walking my bike or carefully ridingthrough if there are only one or two people. My reasoning for that is that it means I can be further down the road and moving at a steady pace when the cars behind me move to overtake, not when I am moving off and pedalling up to speed or where cars are turning (see: drivers not paying attention).

It is all about just paying that bit more attention, and considering it from the other users point of view - when I am in a car, I know to just take it easy, wait 30 seconds longer if need be until I can give the cyclist enough room before overtaking, and when I am on a bike I do recognise that bikes are an annoyance to cars, so I try to minimise that whenever I can.

As for carrying ball bearings or whatever, that is just idiotic to me, and if anything puts me in the wrong - whether a cars manoeuvre was illegal, malicious or just caused by not enough attention, me purposely damaging their car is criminal damage either way, so whether they have an excuse or not, I certainly don't.

20. jeeves3443

jeeves3443 Loaded Pockets

Very well said.
    Damaging someone's vehicle because they scared you while riding your bike is a sure fire way to get things to escalate way too quickly. Are you willing to be shot/stabbed/charged with assault because you wanted a little satisfaction from exacting revenge on someone who scared you with their car?
    Physical contact is another story, if they hit me, I'm calling the cops and helping them take it as far as possible.

I'm pretty sure that a 'self-defense' weapon should be deployable BEFORE and incident occurs. Not something to use after the offending incident while seeking revenge.

Reflective clothing and an orange flag are better "Defensive tools" than a pocket of Ball bearings. I've got some other things to add but I'll just keep them to myself.

BTW, I'm both a rider and a driver, and agree 100% with Narco synth's post.