1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Bike Light - front and back

Discussion in 'Flashlights & Other Illumination Devices' started by speedy, May 12, 2016.

1. speedy

speedy Loaded Pockets

Want to have a bike light for the front and back.

At least 1100 lumens (more if possible) (front) the back not really sure how crazy I want to go, probably just want a flashing red light to increase chances of being seen from a distance.

Still up in the air between rechargeable or disposable batteries (AAA or AA).

I seen some where it's removable and be used as a hand-flashlight with 2-seconds but not necessary but a plus if one fits the bill.

I am poking Amazon but they are not good about listing Lumens. A buddy showed me some on eBay but need to sign-up for a PayPal account and then an eBay account which I will if that is the ideal place to find what I am looking for.

I have used/owned Surefires and IMHO think they are overrated and expensive especially in the battery department (that may have gotten better with LEDs for mine pre-dated that). Two of my best lights are LED's both each I spent less than $5 for.

I am searching but figure for the flashlight gurus you might be able to shorten my search time.

Hope to get some good suggestions. Thanks ahead of time.

2. Blerv

Blerv Loaded Pockets

I don't know bike lights.

That said, I would think a fairly thin body would be ideal for a handlebar mount. Most the AA lights that push a real 1k lumens are like Coke cans.

Also remember that most XM-L or XP-L lights need about 2.5-3 amps to push 1,000 lumens. On a single 18650 that's anywhere from 20-40 minutes of runtime...unless the output tapers like crazy. For extended bike rides you would probably need a 2x18650 light or a number of AA's to maintain the output.

That doesn't get into the subject of heat since without holding the light it's going to warm up quite a bit quicker with only moving air reducing temp.

IMHO, I would aim for lower lumens. Go for lux...not overall output (lumens). A fairly hard pushed XP-G light is going to put out less impressive numbers but make a MUCH more focused beam. It's also going to not need as much wattage (1.5-2 amps) to generate that hotspot since the surface brightness is higher than a larger LED. It's going to generate less heat.

Nice likes this.
  3. speedy

speedy Loaded Pockets

Huh? Can you explain that in English? Non-flashlight-guru terms please. Thanks.

Roger likes this.
  4. TKC

TKC Loaded Pockets

I highly recommed Cygolite, as that is what I have on my bike. I have the 550 USB. Believe me, it IS plenty bright enough. But, they have others. They have front and rear lights. Do check them out. I have rear lights too. http://www.cygolite.com

WillAdams likes this.
  5. LivingUpNorth

LivingUpNorth Loaded Pockets

I picked up a WindFire 1600 Lumen rechargeable bike light from Amazon ($24) last year. It has 3 modes: high/low/strobe and comes with a head band if you wanted to make it a headlamp. The battery pack is kinda bulky (you probably wouldn't want to make it a headlamp), but the light is very bright. Admittedly, I haven't used it a lot, mostly around the neighborhood at night, but it seems pretty good. I would feel comfortable commuting with it if I had to.

I paired it with a Planet Bike blinky red LED for the rear, also from Amazon ($9.50). It runs on two AAA and has two modes: constant on/strobe. It's inexpensive and effective; no complaints there.

6. les snyder

les snyder Loaded Pockets

I'm an old guy, and just boulevard cruise, not high speed... I have had good luck withe the Cat Eye brand over the years, and went with a single AA Cat Eye Rapid 3 for the rear, and a box store Bell Lumina on flash mode for the front....Black Diamond Icon headlamp if the need arises

steeps likes this.
  7. thekapow

thekapow EDC Junkie!!!!!

just make sure you point it downwards, nothing is worse than getting blinded by a bike light at night in trafic by some old dude who keeps his 2000L light parallel to the ground -_-

LivingUpNorth likes this.
  8. LivingUpNorth

LivingUpNorth Loaded Pockets

^this

Where I work, there are quite a few bicycle commuters. Among them, there are a couple that have high-lumen disco strobes pointed straight out. Yeah, I definitely see them coming, but it's very distracting and ruins what night vision I have left. Similar to, if not exactly like, the strobe mode on tactical flashlights which are meant to disorient someone. Nothing like having a repeating camera flash in your face when you're trying to control a 2-ton vehicle.

Having ranted a bit, I have seen a newer generation of bike lights that the commuters have been using recently. While the continuous beam is on, they incorporate a gentle, periodic pulse (more like a flicker) that grabs your attention without throwing off your vision. Much better!

9. 0dBm

0dBm Loaded Pockets

Are you riding on the street or an off-road trail? Do you ride on dedicated bike paths?

thekapow likes this.
  10. mike3145

mike3145 Loaded Pockets

Doesn't Fenix make a bunch of bike lights? I have no experience with them but I'd guess they aren't complete junk. A bike store might offer some suggestions too from guys (and gals) who ride a night.

Just for point of reference the low beam bulb for my car (style H1) puts out 1550 lumens.

11. 0dBm

0dBm Loaded Pockets

If you prefer Fenix bike lights, try the BCR30. There is a young man in the Pacific Northwest offering modding ("hot-rodding") services on various flashlights. The BCR30 is one of them. See skylumen dot com. A good friend and riding buddy has the upgraded BCR30Vn. That product outputs a tremendous amount of light. I'll be ordering one in the next couple of months.

There are two aspects of lighting that needs to be considered by cyclists: a) a light so that others (namely motorists) so that they can see YOU; and b) a light that allows the cyclist to illuminate the area ahead. More on this later.