1. Please update your bookmarks to use https://www.edcforums.com/
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Bigidesign TPT?

Discussion in 'Keychain Tools' started by Z2KCT, May 7, 2017.

1. Z2KCT

Z2KCT Loaded Pockets

Was interested in purchasing one of these but I cannot find much info on them. Does anyone here have one and can give an opinion?

Thanks!

2. DGGoingUphill

DGGoingUphill Loaded Pockets

Just picked one up with my REI dividend. I have been on the fence since they came out due price, but I'm in love with this thing now that I have it. Put a Stanley Fat Max Carbide blade in it and it's been perfect. Also, works grest left handed, while most utility blade pocket knives don't. I wish they made it out of a cheaper material -- I'd give them as gifts and wouldn't have waited so long to get myself one.

Z2KCT likes this.
  3. Z2KCT

Z2KCT Loaded Pockets

Thanks this is the kind of info I was looking for!

4. lnytunes
    • +1 Supporter

lnytunes Loaded Pockets

I carry one and it works great for the simple tasks that I need a blade for.

Z2KCT and garza like this.
  5. garza

garza Loaded Pockets

I was an early bird KS backer. The slim lightweight design allows for front pocket carry. I stopped my search for a Rexford after receiving the TPT. The fork which shipped with the unit has always puzzled me since I do not want it near my mouth after using as a wrench.

#5 garza, May 8, 2017
    Last edited: May 8, 2017
    Z2KCT and lnytunes like this.
  6. Z2KCT

Z2KCT Loaded Pockets

Also is this product worth buying over something like the Screwpop Utility Knife?

7. garza

garza Loaded Pockets

I have the 1st generation Screwpop Ron's Utility knife which I view as a basic utility knife. The 1st model has a lot of pocket rattle but others have said the newer models do not since a magnet has been added. I still prefer the TPT even at the higher price point. I also own the Screwpop Screwdriver. The Screwpop tools seem more utilitarian in design and lack the detailed finish and better quality materials.

Z2KCT likes this.
  8. Particleman

Particleman Loaded Pockets

9. Ippon

Ippon Loaded Pockets

I love my TPT. Doesn't work well to do "big jobs" just because of the size, but if you use it for opening boxes, or a package here and there or the like, it's awesome. I love mine, carry it every day. I'ts really quality construction, and very light, a lot lighter than I expected. The price tag hurts, but if you are set on something like this I'd say it's worth it. If it's just a novelty to you and you won't really use it I'd say go for something cheaper.

Hi-up Lineman, Z2KCT and garza like this.
  10. DGGoingUphill

DGGoingUphill Loaded Pockets

Here's an update now that I've had the tool for a week: It's still phenomenal and has gone from staying in an easily accessible pocket in my bag to riding in my pants pocket most of the time because I am using it so much.

What has been especially great this week is that I am traveling. I removed the blade before heading to the airport and had no issues getting through security. On arrival, I headed to a pharmacy and picked up some cheap blades for use during this week away (pharmacies are pretty much everywhere, vs having to seek out a hardware store). What's great is that unlike my Victorinox Jetsetter (knifeless classic SAK), when the blade is removed, it doesn't look at all like a knife to TSA, just a bottle opener and pry tool, so no extra inspection required.

Z2KCT and Moshe ben David like this.
  11. Z2KCT

Z2KCT Loaded Pockets

Travel is one of the primary reasons I was interested in the TPT, Thanks!

12. bj warkentin

bj warkentin Loaded Pockets

I backed the KS and have carried one daily since it arrived. While it is not perfect, I love the TPT and it is part of my mandatory edc. Usually rides in the watch pocket of my jeans. One nice thing is that it is so compact and flat that it is an easy front pocket carry in dress pants. As others have mentioned it passes easily through airport security since it does not look like a knife, and it is super easy and cheap to pick up replacement blades at your destination. It also does not cause comments or stress from the anti knife crowd since they are not bright enough to realise that it is a real knife.

I wish the blade deployment was easier. It is a two handed affair, requiring you to push the detente switch and pull out the blade, but it is not a big deal once you get used to it. It is easily usable in either hand, and the replaceable blades make for carefree cutting since you don't have to worry about damaging the edge. Unfortunately the blade slot is slightly too narrow for my favourite utility blades (Stanley Extra Heavy Duty) that I use in some of my utility knives and my gerber EABs. Current blade of choice for the TPT is an Irwin BiMetal.

Before getting a TPT I carried a Gerber EAB as a money clip. The EAB mostly sits at home these days.

13. Z2KCT

Z2KCT Loaded Pockets

Is it possible to one hand open at all?

14. garza

garza Loaded Pockets

Not really since a considerable amount of force is needed to release the blade. The TPT is completely flat. The blade is the only item which slides. Works fine for office carry in the front left pocket.

Z2KCT likes this.
  15. bj warkentin

bj warkentin Loaded Pockets

I have not figured out how to so easily. The issue is that it does not really have a true blade detente lock/switch. The way it works is the the "lock" is released by flexing the front of the two body halves apart, using the "button" part of the body and there is no mechanism to slide the blade out. The way I typically do it is to hold it in my right hand with my middle two fingers wrapped around the body, deploy the lock with my thumb, and pull the blade out with my left hand.

With much fiddling I can deploy the switch with my index finger and slide the blade out with my thumb but it is much more involved and time consuming. With practice this method might get faster but I would not suggest getting the TPT if one handed operation is a requirement.

However, it is exactly this lack of a traditional blade slide mechanism that allows the TPT to be so flat and pocket friendly.

16. Ippon

Ippon Loaded Pockets

I always open mine one handed, the way mentioned above. I put pressure on the lock (right handed) with the index or middle finger, and slide the blade out with my thumb.

With a little practice, it gets pretty natural. :D

Z2KCT likes this.
  17. Z2KCT

Z2KCT Loaded Pockets

I have found a video demonstrating this as well, thanks!