1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Big Storm Preparation

Discussion in 'General EDC Discussion' started by Soup dragon, Oct 26, 2013.

1. Soup dragon

Soup dragon Loaded Pockets

So here in the UK the news channels are buzzing with warnings of a big storm about to hit the UK.

We do not typically get to experience extreme weather events unlike other parts of the world. So what are your top tips for preparing to be in the eye of the storm?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

2. hatchetjack

hatchetjack EDC Junkie!!!!!

Lots of batteries, water and a way to cook if you have an electric stove.

bzimmerly and dawgfan76 like this.
  3. indigo_wolf

indigo_wolf AKA Breezy

I had to read this twice... need more coffee... I am assuming you meant "an alternative way to cook," in case of storm-related power outages.

ATB,
    Sam

hatchetjack likes this.
  4. SAKplumber
    • In Omnia Paratus

SAKplumber EDC Junkie!!!!!

At first I thought I'd merge these two threads but since you're in the UK I thought perhaps better to leave your's separate in case some of our other UK/Eastern European members had any advice that may be area specific...so I decided I'd just add a link here to another thread that was started today:)...The Great & Epic Prepping Thread....
    SAKp

bzimmerly likes this.
  5. Diecastfreak
    • In Omnia Paratus

Diecastfreak Loaded Pockets

blankets if heat goes out..... candles.... board games, cards, dice... i dont know about you but its droping below 30 here at night so ied be about warmth.

6. bubbaj

bubbaj Loaded Pockets

Really the most important thing is make sure your vehicle has fuel for emergencies. But other than that, water, food, alternate means to cook the food if needed. If power goes out, don't rely on the fridge or freezer to keep your food good so easy foods are good for riding out storms. Batteries for flash lights, make sure your phones, laptops etc are charged.

reppans likes this.
  7. SAKplumber
    • In Omnia Paratus

Also in case of storm related outages, I recommend 3 days of food and water for each person...you may not get to evacuate right away if you needed to.

TarHeelBrit and JustinJ like this.
  8. rsitter

rsitter EDC Junkie!!!!!

you can fill an old milk carton with water, and put it in the freezer...then when the power goes out put it in the fridge and only open the fridge when necessary....it'll act like a big cooler.

SAKplumber likes this.
  9. jemhouston

jemhouston Loaded Pockets

Fill your bathtub with water. Sheets of plastic and duct tape in case the windows are damaged.

reppans likes this.
  10. SAKplumber
    • In Omnia Paratus

Clean it first:p

11. dawgfan76
    • In Omnia Paratus

dawgfan76 Loaded Pockets

Cash and prescription medications. Candles, matches or lighter or firestarters. Propane for grill. Lots of water. Canned foods.

12. hatchetjack

hatchetjack EDC Junkie!!!!!

French press if you are a coffee drinker!

whoozle, JustinJ and SAKplumber like this.
  13. JustinJ
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

JustinJ Loaded Pockets

growing up in FL, we did the following for storm prep
    Stock the pantry with shelf stable stuff. pop tarts, cereals, granola, nuts, dried fruit, canned goods, etc. Toiletries too.
    store gallons of water in case the plumbing goes out
    make sure you have several sets of fresh batteries for all flashlights and radios.
    make sure anything without swappable batteries has a full charge (power tools, phone, laptop/tablet, etc)
    move any loose items from outside into the garage or other storage space.
    board up windows against oncoming debris.

on my own in VA where I get the occasional blizzard, I stock the pantry, stock up on water, and generally just sleep through it.

SAKplumber likes this.
  14. CatherineM
    • In Omnia Paratus

CatherineM Loaded Pockets

When I lived in Florida, I stored water in those large rolling trash cans. One sterilized for drinking, and the other for flushing toilets and washing. Rolling ice chests are great for sitting on in ice lines, and for getting the ice home.

Five gallon bucket with plastic bags can also work for toilet. Duct tape and plastic for broken windows. Full tank of gas, cash and manual can opener in case electricity goes out.

Sent by Owl Post

dawgfan76 and SAKplumber like this.
  15. Grinch

Grinch Banned

I like to use some of the glow in the dark tape and mark entry ways and path ways . So if i forget a flashlight by not having it near by or on me i can find my way in the dark .

whoozle and SAKplumber like this.
  16. walkthedog

walkthedog Loaded Pockets

For me its go fill the Land Rover up with diesel, check my tow ropes, sharpen the chainsaw and then wait for the inevitable phone calls.

As its due to start Sunday night most people will just sleep through it. I am however expecting a large quantity of videos being posted on Facebook of trampolines and fence panels being blown down streets as is the norm when we have weather like this in the UK.

keith1234 and Soup dragon like this.
  17. plumberroy

plumberroy Loaded Pockets

Short version other than buying a little gas I am alway prepared >>>>>>>>>>
    Since I have 1-2 months food inhouse at any given time 20 gal of bottled water, 1/2 doz gas lanterns 1/2 doz kerosene lanterns, around 20 camp stoves. I may fill up a few platic totes with water if it isn't a snow storm . Snow/ice storms are the most common problem here . I make sure the generator and snow blower are gassed up and fill my gas cans and vehichle
    Roy

SAKplumber likes this.
  18. grayman

grayman Loaded Pockets

One thing we've come to depend on in these situations are oil lamps and "smokeless" oil. I have a couple downstairs in the house and I keep one upstairs. I by the oil in the off season and keep extra wicks on hand. These are ideal for long outages. For short ones, we make due with flashlights and small LED lanterns.

Obviously you want to have food and water on hand. An alternative means of cooking is good too. I have a gas grill with a side burner on the back deck I prefer to use. I also have a couple camp stoves that use the small fuel bottles, but things like that need to be used outside so I just opt for the grill and the camp gear is a backup to my backup.

I

SAKplumber likes this.
  19. Cobra 6 Actual

Cobra 6 Actual Loaded Pockets

Given that your storm is due to arrive this evening, perhaps this is too late for this storm ... But, for the next one, here are a couple of additions:

1. A headlamp such as this one:

[​IMG]

This is great for keeping your hands free for other tasks.

2. For area lighting a wind-up lantern:

[​IMG]

This brand, Freeplay, also has a charging adapter included. I prefer these to candles, since there's no fire hazard with the windup lantern.

3. For water supply you can just fill your bathtub up ... If it is a standard size that is about 100 (US) gallons. Or, for next time, you can buy one of these Waterbob containers:

[​IMG]

It makes extracting the water much easier.

4. As for communication: have your phone batteries fully charged. Also, make some arrangements with someone outside your area who can serve as your communications hub: others in your family can call to check in. Often in a disaster the communication system won't work within the disaster area, but you can call outside that area.

Good luck and stay safe!

whoozle and SAKplumber like this.
  20. Roger

Roger Loaded Pockets

Great ideas folks! In addition to what they said here's my tip
    Fill a few 1 gallon ziploc bags with water and stick 'em in the freezer. Definitely comes in handy on the event of a power outage. You can transfer them to a cooler after a while and keep some essentials cold. You also have an extra few gallons of water later on!

whoozle, keith1234 and SAKplumber like this.