1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Bidor Malaysia Parang(s)

Discussion in 'Do-It-Yourself & Gear Modifications' started by cityofthesouth, Apr 26, 2015.

1. cityofthesouth

cityofthesouth Loaded Pockets

I might as well just start by saying that I don't believe these blanks are available any longer - according to the folks who sell/manufacture them. Edit: It's not clear whether they are or not. I ordered them months ago - according to my flickr account the first image is from December. I've just been working on other things and finally got around to working on one this weekend. Being an axe enthusiast I kinda wanted to do an axe-like handle on one of them, though it's not so unlike what can be seen on them, there are so many styles and cultures using the Parang.

I do think I will go ahead and pin the handles on them but at the moment this one is attached with epoxy and I burned the handle on by heating the tang the way I have seen it done in videos from Malaysia. I wrapped the blade in a wet rag to protect the heat treatment. This handle is made from oak.

[​IMG]parang_blanks by city_ofthe_south, on Flickr

Here is the handle roughed out and the hatchets I used to get this far.
    [​IMG]parang_oakhandle by city_ofthe_south, on Flickr

[​IMG]parang_enep1 by city_ofthe_south, on Flickr

A closeup of the stamp. There are some vids on youtube showing the place these are made, and the blacksmith stamping them with these marks - crossed swords Bidor Malaysia.
    [​IMG]parang_details by city_ofthe_south, on Flickr

parang_enep3 by city_ofthe_south, on Flickr

It's pictured with a Thai Enep which came from Aranyik Trading co several years ago. Another product that I'm not sure is specifically available.
    [​IMG]parang_enep3 by city_ofthe_south, on Flickr

[​IMG]parang_enep_bladethickness by city_ofthe_south, on Flickr

These are 12 inch Parangs referred to as Ray Mears Parangs .... I don't know if he actually markets a Parang but evidently his came from these folks.

OK so flickr says december yet I posted that same pic in my personal thread in November ... hmm. At any rate I got them awhile back. :)

Last edited by cityofthesouth, Apr 27, 2015
  2. Cobra 6 Actual

Cobra 6 Actual Loaded Pockets

Congratulations on the very professional work!

cityofthesouth likes this.
  3. Minibear453
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

Minibear453 Loaded Pockets

Your work is amazing!:frantic:It honestly made me stop and just look for awhile.

4. AK Adventurer

AK Adventurer Ice, Ice, Tigre

What he said! Absolutely gorgeous!

Although I will complain at you coming along and showing me blades that I love, and can't get! :frantic:
    ;)

5. cityofthesouth

cityofthesouth Loaded Pockets

Thanks everyone!

Well I just went and checked the website and blanks are still listed. He told me they were going to stop selling blanks but maybe there are too many people interested. I dunno.

AK Adventurer likes this.