1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Best way to make coffee when camping?

Discussion in 'Travel' started by able_man, Apr 27, 2011.

1. Synaptic Misfire
    • In Omnia Paratus

Synaptic Misfire Loaded Pockets

I have an old percolator that was my grandfathers, I just set it on the coals and let it go. No other coffee tastes so good.

2. CapnBart

CapnBart Loaded Pockets

Howdy all,

I am of two minds on this topic. If i am car camping and weight is not a consideration: percolator, everytime. If hiking, however, i always pack the folgers singles. And FWIW, after you dunk the bag as directed, let it steep a lil longer, it strengthens the coffee where its tolerable, just saying...:)

Standing by...Bart

3. dimeotane

dimeotane Loaded Pockets

Making instant coffee from powder (kept in a ziploc) is :censored: good when you're waking up when camping.

For real coffee grinds you can get these little single cup coffee filters that have a stick that you suspend it full of grinds in a mug and slowly pour hot water through. It mades a good cup and a pack of them are very small and light. I get mine in the grocery store.

4. ParTimeBourne

ParTimeBourne Loaded Pockets

I think the Aeropress is the best way to carry a portable coffee maker. It's lightweight,, almost unbreakable and makes better coffee than a French Press.

SOS24 likes this.
  5. rosshs

rosshs Loaded Pockets

I picked up a plastic thermal mug with a French press style filter incorporated into it. Looks and feels nearly unbreakable, and only 1 piece of kit.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk

6. nfa

nfa Empty Pockets

Starbuck Via - http://www.starbucksstore.com/starbucks-via/

Jamie - nfa

ps - this is only a bit tongue in cheek, I do a lot of camping, and had written off coffee while camping because of the hassle and poor results, but Via has brought coffee back into my camping trips.

7. icemncmth

icemncmth Loaded Pockets

Ditto...I have two of them..

http://aerobie.com/products/aeropress.htm

8. DeliveryD

DeliveryD Loaded Pockets

9. oldsarge

oldsarge Loaded Pockets

Coffee is the water of life in the woods. When setting up a camp with the Scout troop I bring along my large stainless cabelas camping percolator. All of the adult leaders get a good sized large mug and the older scouts have some also. When roughing it a bit more I use an all stainless french press, purchased from Camp Mor. It leaks a little bit of the grounds, but it does the job, makes about two cups worth.

10. dovk0802

dovk0802 Loaded Pockets

Percolator for a large group where weight isn't a problem - also if you're leaving a pot on for a long time, you can remove the grounds basket.

for living out of a pack for not too long: jetboil w/ french press.

11. MDCCLXXVI

MDCCLXXVI Loaded Pockets

I have made coffee in the field countless times, here's what works for me...

Jus a note, my version of camping is to strap 40-60lbs to my back and hike 2-4 days into the wilderness, so I'm out for over a week sometimes without access to civilization.

The gear:

Coffee (individual bags or single serve packets).
    Sugar packets (from McDonalds).
    Dried milk powder.

Stove - MSR Pocket Rocket
    Fuel - MSR IsoPro Fuel
    Vessel - MSR Titan Kettle
    Lighter - BiC
    Water Filter - Katadyn Pocket Filter
    Water Storage - 5L compressible jug

Method... When you set up camp in the evening, head to a water source before dark and filter 5L of water into the jug for camp chores and hygiene. In the morning, boil some water with the stove and kettle, pour the dried milk powder, sugar, and coffee into a cup and when the water is just starting to boil, pour it from the kettle to the cup.

Nothing complicated, but the key is to have a fast-boiling stove, lightweight gear, and separated packets of your food so if one bit gets moisture or critters in it, the whole stock isn't contaminated. Also, gather water the night before.

I do this fast method because of two reasons. One, I like to get an early start in the morning and don't like to waste time. Two, on cold mornings I don't like to spend time fussing around. Also, I do it all while still in my sleeping bag. Just open the rain fly and have it all ready in the vestibule. Then cook in the vestibule. It's safe as long as you aren't cooking inside the actual tent. Done this in extremely cold and rainy weather at high altitudes.

12. floater

floater Loaded Pockets

13. dovk0802

dovk0802 Loaded Pockets

From Bodum page:

"The BODUM mug press is not only a must-have in a single household, but it is useful for everyone who enjoys a cup of perfectly brewed coffee! The idea: fit the BODUM coffee press system into a mug to initiate a perfect brewing process on a very small scale. No sooner said than done, the BODUM mug press is made of stainless steel, fits into every mug (santroprene rim adapter) and comes with a plastic microwave-proof beaker (PP). Why? While the coffee develops its full taste in the mug, put milk into the beaker and warm it in the microwave (1min.), depress the plunger, take out the small mug press and pour the milk from the beaker into the mug, add sugar at your own taste and enjoy! All parts are dishwasher safe."

Now all I need is a packable microwave?

Just kidding

14. bigfoot

bigfoot Loaded Pockets

Another vote here for Bodum french press or Starbucks Via.

15. Monocrom

Monocrom Loaded Pockets

Hit the dollar store. You'll likely find individual packets of coffee filled with coffee, sugar, and powdered creamer all in one packet.

Boil some water in your metal cup. Leave a bit of space near the top. Toss in the mix. Stir with your plastic spoon or spork. There you go.

16. 95yjinpa
    • In Omnia Paratus

95yjinpa Loaded Pockets

17. Ghost

Ghost Loaded Pockets

Yep! I've had one for years, thousands of cups of coffee through it...

They just put out a new compact travel version too, I'll let you know how it goes...

18. aicolainen

aicolainen Loaded Pockets

resurrection time :)

I hope the OP's had his coffee by now, but anyways
    Coffee while camping, backpacking, hiking, traveling or whatever can usually be your favorite kind. It might not be as simple and convenient as back home, but if you take pleasure in good coffee - there is always a way.

Personally I'm an AeroPress addict. I use it at home and mostly whenever I do any of the above.
    Before AP I used french press, which I often still drag along since it's my girlfriends preferred choice. Have one made of Lexan, thats been taking a beating for hundreds of miles of backpacking, and still going strong. Can't remember the brand, and no visible marking remains.
    Cowboy coffee was the default in the early days, and is still a crucial ceremony for some types of outdoor activities. It's good, but I'm not sure it's objectively as good as as the other brewing methods, it's just the whole setting with the camp fire and the connection to nature and traditions that elevates the experience and tricks our brain to believe it's better than it actually is. And thats fine with me.
    Manual pour over, e.g. Chemex are a simple way to make great coffee, but I have no personal experience.
    Perculators are maybe a bit heavy, but can easily be used just about anywhere, so if that's your preference it's probably worth the extra weight.
    Portable, manual espresso machines does exist. Never tried it, but it's out there if you demand more advanced level espresso than the AeroPress can deliver.

[​IMG]
    Aeropress cortado (espresso w/ whipped milk)@home

[​IMG]
    Me enjoying my morning Aeropress while prepaing a french press to wake my girlfriend up with a fresh cup to enjoy before she gets out of her sleeping bag

[​IMG]
    cowboy coffee

[​IMG]
    Pour over coffee (borrowed from a great Norwegian store and IG account, @reviroslo)

[​IMG]
    Portable espressomaker, handpresso.com

Last edited by aicolainen, Jun 8, 2020
    #38 aicolainen, Jun 8, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2020
  19. Wishoot

Wishoot Loaded Pockets

Old thread, but I'll throw in another vote for the Aeropress. I use it everywhere. At home and camping. Starbucks Via and Mount Hagen are the only instants I can stand.

20. SOS24
    • +2 Supporter

SOS24 Loaded Pockets

I’ll throw in another for Aeropress. I use one everyday. Now that they have the Aeropress Go, you have a self-contained kit that is easier to clean than many French Presses.