1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Best way to make coffee when camping?

Discussion in 'Travel' started by able_man, Apr 27, 2011.

1. able_man
    • In Omnia Paratus

able_man Loaded Pockets

I'll be going on a camping trip at the end of May and one thing I've never attempted is making coffee while camping. So I need advice on the best way.

What works for you?

2. hatchetjack

hatchetjack EDC Junkie!!!!!

French press. You can use it when the power is out at home too if you have camp stove.

3. jehan60188

jehan60188 Loaded Pockets

best way to make coffee anywhere! be sure to get coarsely ground coffee!

barring that, starbucks via makes an ok instant coffee.

4. Roger

Roger Loaded Pockets

X2 on the french press, unfortunately I don't own one.. when I go camping I carry Jamaican Mountain Peak instant coffee.

5. fatnewt

fatnewt Loaded Pockets

A couple of months ago they were giving away free packets of VIA at Starbucks, their version of instant coffee. They were remarkably good and work just fine with cold or hot water. I was intending on keeping them for camping, but they got used before I got the chance. French press is a much better way to make coffee in general, but entails more gear and weight. In the past I've used one of those camping percolators which always seemed to come out pretty well. But the packets of VIA from Starbucks is what I plan on using whenever I go from now on, super easy, light, and you can do it before you get a fire started if pressed for time, plus everyone liked it.

6. SFSRVN

SFSRVN Loaded Pockets

I have to agree with everyone else on the french press. First time I had ever seen one used outside of home was on a C-17. The crew chief was making coffee and asked if I wanted a cup...like he had to ask! It was probably the best cup I'm ever had. All you need is hot water and coffee. I loved it so much, my wife bought me an unbreakable two cup press that I carried on every mission since. Definitely a recommend.

7. able_man
    • In Omnia Paratus

able_man Loaded Pockets

Is there a certain french press anyone would recommend? It doesn't need to be super lightweight, I'm not hiking in to my site.

8. hatchetjack

I got a Bodum at a thrift shop for a couple of bucks.

9. burnd4life

burnd4life Loaded Pockets

French press when I camp and Starbucks Via when I backpack. I got my Bodum from Target.

10. jehan60188

jehan60188 Loaded Pockets

I, too have a bodum. The one from target and starbucks are the same, I think. Not a lot to look for, but I know someone with a french press that's only glass and metal (instead of plastic like the bodum); they like to sit it near the fire to keep the coffee good and warm.

the thing about via, is it dissolves great in any water, and if you just need a caffeine fix, you can mix it up in a shot of cold water, milk, or even juice and down it in seconds.
    but for car-camping, a nice, slow french press heat-and-brew is the way to go. once you press, the coffee can sit without getting stronger, so that's good too!
    get the bigest one you can, so the whole group can enjoy it

11. hatchetjack

Don't forget the Maker's Mark or Bailey's!

12. Ofir_ISR

Ofir_ISR Loaded Pockets

Well, in Israel there's only one way to make coffee - Turkish coffee (or, more precisely, the Israeli version to turkish coffee).
    Gives out strong, dark, thick coffee that can wake the dead.

For a 0.5-0.6L of water I put 6-7 teaspoons of coffee and 3-4 of sugar.

You add the coffee just before boiling (Id say 20-30 seconds before full boil), creating a little "pile" of coffee that floats on the water. When the water boil, that pile collapses, and dark foam made of big bubbles will start to come out. You need to quickly move the pot away from the flame(if you are not quick enough, it will spill out), add sugar, stir just enough for the sugar to dissolve (gold-brown, thick foam should appear, stirring too much will dissolve that foam).

Then lower the heat and after about 30 seconds put the pot back (if cooking on a campfire, hold the pot higher).
    Watch the pot closely, and just before the water boil again, remove the pot. You know the water are about to boil when you see your foam "breaking", and darker foam begins to cover your topmost layer, at the moment of boiling. That dark foam will raise and usually will spill out of the pot, you need to move the pot right before this happens. If the flame is too high, or you held the coffee too long over the flame the coffee will have a burnt taste, if too low - it wont have a strong aroma, and coffee grains will float around in your cup.

After removing the pot do not stir, put the pot aside for 1-2 minutes, pour into cups (usually half a cup of this coffee is enough for most people, 0.5L of water is enough to 4-5 people). Let the coffee grains sink to the bottom of the cup (wait 2 minutes). Drink slowly, do not drink the thick coffee at the bottom of the cup, spill it away with the grains.

Sher Khan likes this.
  13. able_man
    • In Omnia Paratus

able_man Loaded Pockets

Well of course I'll be taking my flask!

14. Narcosynthesis

Narcosynthesis Loaded Pockets

If you have the time and don't mind the extra gear, a french press seems a pretty decent idea.

If weight and size is an issue, a friend swears by the starbucks instant stuff when hiking - not quite as good as the freshly made stuff, but it comes prepackaged in a small and convenient single serving packet, is very easy to make and nice and easy to carry.

So I guess it depends on what camping you intend - car camping where weight and bulk mean little and you can take home comforts like a press, or backpacking where you want the lightest and easiest option to carry.

15. indigo

indigo Loaded Pockets

Anyone use a Moka Pot on their camping stove? I've been debating getting one of these from Ikea or going with a french press for my camping trip this coming June.

16. randal

randal Loaded Pockets

Same same in Egypt. Best stuff for waking up.

17. carrot

carrot Loaded Pockets

I do it "cowboy coffee" style: dump some ground coffee into my cup, pour boiling water over it, let sit, then drink. The grinds will sink to the bottom of the cup when the coffee has brewed long enough. Don't drink the grinds. A splash of water in the bottom of your cup when you're done and you can wash away all the grinds. Uncivilized? Maybe. But it also makes for a strong cup of coffee and is one less thing to carry or clean, which is a huge :censored: in the outdoors.

18. enki_ck

enki_ck Loaded Pockets

That's the best coffee ever, even better if you make it from fresh roasted and ground coffee beans. Great description there. I know it sounds complicated but it's easy to do once you learn to watch the water. I had to learn it when I was 12-13 years old. Started drinking it at 16 and nothing compares to it, best smell and taste ever.

19. Towanda

Towanda Loaded Pockets

20. indigo

indigo Loaded Pockets

Towanda, this is perfect. I am going to try one of these the next time I go dry-camping.