1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Best value EDC item?

Discussion in 'General EDC Discussion' started by 0dBm, Jun 15, 2009.

1. 0dBm

0dBm Loaded Pockets

The Zebra F-701 gets my vote for the Best Value Writing Instrument.

I never gave this a second look since I admittedly have better quality pens. Not to say I looked down on it, just that it never received much of my attention.

I found one next to the copier at the office; ink cartridge completely depleted and the tip unyielding to fingertip pressure to unfasten it from the barrel.

The all-steel barrel, tip, and clip are decent quality, however the clicker mechanism is not; fully. I picked-up a two pack of F-402. Ordering through the office was much cheaper: it cost me nothing. ;D

I performed Stormdrane's mod and added a Fisher refill. I didn't like the knurling so I harvested a rubber sleeve from a giveaway mechanical pencil from one of our suppliers.

What I have now for the cost of $1.97 for the Fisher refill and 10 minutes of labor is a very sturdy economy EDC pen that should last several years.

2. MrVanimal

MrVanimal Empty Pockets

Gotta go with SAK's on this one. Unbelievable value for the $.

3. defloyd

defloyd Loaded Pockets

SAK's are great value too, but IMO they fall second to the E01 in my eyes as some of the components are murder on your nails to get open, I can barely get my phillips out of mine and can't get the awl out without using something like my Pico Widgy. I don't really care about the awl as I never need one, but the phillips on the other hand is one of my most used component on it. Mine is a Wenger Evogrip 18, but I've also used other's SAK's (both Wenger and Victorinox) before and those are no better.

4. johnnytest

johnnytest Loaded Pockets

I would have to say any kind of flashlight is the best value item. Second place would have to be prybar/knife/screwdriver multi-tool such as the artifact:
    [​IMG]

5. Buzzbait

Buzzbait Loaded Pockets

[img width=640 height=480]http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l256/Buzzbait67/Knives/Victorinox%20Farmer/Picture072.jpg[/img]

6. PeaceOfMind

PeaceOfMind Loaded Pockets

I've been eyeing one of those on eBay... looks so beautiful... so tempted... must resist.
    Great photo! How thick do you find it, for pocket carry?

7. thewae

thewae Empty Pockets

x2 ;)

8. Buzzbait

Buzzbait Loaded Pockets

It's actually quite good for pocket carry. The thickness is kept well in check, due to the alox construction, so pocket bulge is kept to a minimum. Alox is very light also, so the scales add pretty close to zero weight. Overall, it's pretty close to the perfect pocket knife. Just thick enough to get a good grip on it, and just enough tools to be eminently useful. The fit and finish is mind blowing for the price, and the tools and springs are noticeably more robust

The only downsides are the key ring and the anodization of the scales. Anodization does scratch and wear off over time. My guess is that is why the red ones were a limited run, and the normal alox SAKs are clear anodized. The clear alox looks great too though, and keeps looking great. I mentioned the key ring because some people complain that it digs into their hand. I don't have that problem with the keyring, but I could see it happening to other people. People who don't like the key ring usually end up grinding it off.

Here's a shot of the clear anodized Farmer:

[img width=640 height=480]http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l256/Buzzbait67/Knives/Picture015.jpg[/img]

9. Medic7158

Medic7158 Empty Pockets

A mini bic lighter for $.50 has a lot of bang for buck.

10. tintin

tintin Empty Pockets

Has to be my Zebra F-301

11. WARFIST

WARFIST Banned

alpha innovations/mercop's jaw jackers great device can even use it like a kubaton with the side striking points if need be and only way anyone will find it on you is thru a physical search! for 20 bucks its the meanest and yet most functional knuckle duster ever created!(just make sure its legal to carry in your state) as fl just bans metallic knuckles but even if you dont wish to carry it on you its still a great novelty item to pass and share with your buddies.

12. GassHogg

GassHogg Loaded Pockets

I love my new LM Wave. E-bay 41.00.

13. Don H

Don H Empty Pockets

LM sideclip

Small, has all the basics, tough enough for any job I've needed it for, CHEAP.

14. karlito

karlito Loaded Pockets

I thought that those were discontinued and hard to come by, so no longer cheap.

15. Don H

Don H Empty Pockets

Got mine when they were still readily available.

16. RobertPCS

RobertPCS Empty Pockets

No question....100' of paracord from LAPolicegear....$4.99.

Endless possibilities and uses for EDC. Next in line is trauma shears, then a Leatherman Wave, then a quality flashlight.

17. Foskey

Foskey Loaded Pockets

The victorinox Swiss tool that I have had for about 4 years now has been irreplaceable and my most useful tool. For 55 bucks it has paid for itself ten times over.

18. ErnestS

ErnestS Loaded Pockets

X3 on the Fenix E01 :)

Oh, and my Spyderco Ladybug (serrated). That little knife cuts as well, if not better, than many of my larger knives! ;D

19. lowlight

lowlight Loaded Pockets

a 10-PACK White Flashlight Keychain 22000mcd
    for $4.58 at DX

these little buggers are cheap & bright! ;D
    buy a pack & give to your friends & family

20. Mister Scribble

Mister Scribble Loaded Pockets

I got a few inexpensive P38s (if that's the bigger one) but was disappointed how difficult it was to actually
    open a can with one--compared to an SAK can opener, which I have used for years.

My nominations for best value:

Boker Keycom -- I find myself using it all the time
    Lucky Line belt hook for keys <thanks for the tip, Parnass!>
    Streamlight Nano
    Fenix E01
    Zebra F-301 compact <I love it, although I have yet to try out the stainless pen JSBurly sells!>
    Bulk paracord with various locking beads
    LA Wallet (CountyComm)

....... to be continued ........